asplundh 1985 ford f-600 bucket/chipper truck fixin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diy mechanic mike

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so here i am again looking for your experienced help again got this bucket truck a while back for a good deal... just now getting caught up on projects so can start dabbling with it without overloading the thinker lol . but anyway got few issues with it and im not familiar with much on it but i am a quick hands on learner and would love to know the ins and outs of my rig...1st off i need to play with engine runs and drives just have to be easy on fuel supply when taking off it wants to die if to much fuel pedal applied but it does idle decent so can play with hydraulics.. the dump seems to operate but the boom wont lift so dump can only budge few inches but does lift. the outriggers passenger side operates driver side is not operating any info would be gladly appreciated thanks mike

the chevy dump was my other project resealed whole engine and new clutch install had a leaking oil mess everywhere which is why clutch roasted up oil was getting on plate

Attachments

• 20160726_131038.jpg
    20160726_131038.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
Mike the old asplundh built booms are relics and downright dangerous. Could be a bad or improperly adjusted holding valve! I have not been in one since the 80s. Does is have the Wisconsin pony motor ?

No pony motor.but I do know.where an old one not running is that has pony motor but right now I noticed there isn't much hydro fluid in tank and it probably becuz guy that had it was messing with stuff on it needs the rear knuckle replaced he said the bearing or w.e seized up from not being properly greased have the replacement for it came from a salvage yard truck was wrecked... but I've seen a lot of back and forth on these being either junk or built to last just as long as maintained properly. I'd like to believe it can be revived back to working order with sum love.... there aren'tany cracks or weak spots on boom so seems structurly sound

No pony motor.but I do know.where an old one not running is that has pony motor but right now I noticed there isn't much hydro fluid in tank and it probably becuz guy that had it was messing with stuff on it needs the rear knuckle replaced he said the bearing or w.e seized up from not being properly greased have the replacement for it came from a salvage yard truck was wrecked... but I've seen a lot of back and forth on these being either junk or built to last just as long as maintained properly. I'd like to believe it can be revived back to working order with sum love.... there aren'tany cracks or weak spots on boom so seems structurly sound
The weak link is their drive cables! A failed "many have" drive cable is fatal. Many failed even when new if its asplundh before altec. I'm not trying to scare you just inform.

I'm guessing those are the steel braided cables that basically pull the arms up wit help from pulleys? And I seen a sight that sells replacement cables for the booms for these guessing it would be smart to replace those cuz ones on it are kinda rusty since they are weak point.. any other things I should look for cuz I would like to have a safe operating rig before I do any work from it

I'm guessing those are the steel braided cables that basically pull the arms up wit help from pulleys? And I seen a sight that sells replacement cables for the booms for these guessing it would be smart to replace those cuz ones on it are kinda rusty since they are weak point.. any other things I should look for cuz I would like to have a safe operating rig before I do any work from it
It is the big cable attached to the upper boom cylinders. Surface rust can be cleaned what you need to look for is breaks in the core or valley break. Look up valley break vrs fatigue break in wire rope.

Here:

http://unirope.com/crown-valley-wire-breaks/

OK I'll check that one out I'll probably replace all those cables to be safe cuz I dont know when or if they have been replaced and I'm playing things safe don't wanna hurt myself heck once I get it going I'll probably put sum exercise weight's that equal me in the bucket and test drive it from lower controls cuz I dont wanna be 50ft up and come down like a roller coaster on no tracks haha and thanks for the info on blades I got them out the other day been having fun trying to find sumone to sharpen them tho but gonna be getting into the anvil removal today cuz it was raining yesterday so couldnt get on that but thanks alot for your help been learning alot from this site....

So I have came across alot and got alot done with bucket truck since last time on here I have ran into a or deal and not sure what to think of it got sum hydraulic leaks fixed on lower cylinder and have a hose leaking also but I have this nipple thing connected to lower boom controls that is leaking a decent amount when I operate lift I'll post pics in a min....

Hey been busy for a while but making more time to mess with truck more was wondering if anyone knew what this nipple is leaking it's still leaking and I took apart looks as if maybe a o ring should be in there but not sure hoping sumone could help me out on this and let me know what it even does and why it's leaking? thanks mike

Hey been busy for a while but making more time to mess with truck more was wondering if anyone knew what this nipple is leaking it's still leaking and I took apart looks as if maybe a o ring should be in there but not sure hoping sumone could help me out on this and let me know what it even does and why it's leaking? thanks mike
Its very hard to get anyone to recommend diy hydraulics. One reason is its dangerous high pressure can inject oil into bloodstream that said it never stopped me from servicing mine but I did always relieve pressure before doing maintenance. On most Ariel buckets that age and frankly all of them are whats called holding valves. They basically lock pressure in the event of hydraulic pressure loss to keep the booms from dropping into the lines or out riggers from raising etc. you can try to find the number on the valve and hope typing it in google brings up info which might explain it might not! if indeed its a bad holding valve then the only fix is a new one. They also must be adjusted and can grenade on you if they are not done correctly! look on the vale body for a maker vickers etc then hopefully serial or model number then search it out and maybe you will have luck.

Latest posts

Back