Asplundh Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCARMAN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guy's, I'll see if you can help me. I found a chipper about half an hour away from me. It is an Asplundh w/serial numbers of JEX9388. it has been sittin' for a while and it don't know much about it. I couldn't find a model or size on the machine. do the serial numbers mean anything to anyone? thanks for any help!

jex tells me its old too

tape measure will tell you drum size, and engine numbers will tell ya engine. should be 16" with a 330 ford v-8 industrial engine, very commonly confused for a 360, 351, 302, 390, and nearly every other FE block made then. 330 was used in 2 ton trucks and industrial applications
-Ralph

It has a 4 cyl. ford in it and if I remember correctly the drum is about 12 inches across. It does not seem to be a very big unit. Everything is free and turns. The guy has another chipper sittin' there with the 330 in it, but the radiator in it is empty and the oil pan is full(runnin' out the dipstick tube!). Do the math on that! That machine is an Olathe I believe. He doesn't want that much money for either machine(or both combined), But the second is pretty useless with a cracked block. Unless a guy could get another motor to bolt up. ie 302 360 and so on.

My dad had a 4 cylinder White engine on a 12" jex series. Nice chipper, easy to tow and would take brush 4-6" no problem. He was in the firewood business also so it was all the chipper he needed. Simple design, engine, belt and drum are the major components, no hydraulics.

Those things are the Energizer bunny, they just keep going. Simple.

Simple. Thats what I kindof thought. I don't need anything to special, just something to keep from having to load brush into the dumptruck by hand. I don't mind loadin' the firewood size stuff, it stacks, and if it is decent hardwood I sell it as firewood. Since i am just startin' into the tree buisiness, I can't afford a big unit, And I can fix just about anything so i thought I might give this one a try.

Simple. Thats what I kindof thought. I don't need anything to special, just something to keep from having to load brush into the dumptruck by hand. I don't mind loadin' the firewood size stuff, it stacks, and if it is decent hardwood I sell it as firewood. Since i am just startin' into the tree buisiness, I can't afford a big unit, And I can fix just about anything so i thought I might give this one a try.

Those were ok chippers they were called chipmunks I have a 16
with a 300 six that seems indestructible has chipped mountains
of chips and still goes and goes and goes. The best thing on drums
is simplicity and durability and that is what I want from a work horse,
may get whipped but occasionally I need it :laugh:

Latest posts

Back