ATF and tackifier?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiLL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
About to do a trans service on the wood hauler, and Im wondering if theres anything better I can do with 18 quarts of ATF than give it to someone to heat their shop.

I was thinking of adding tackifier and then mixing it 50:50 with stihl bar lube.

Good idea or no?

Tackifier is sourced from a lubricant additive company like Lubrizol or RT Vanderbilt.

I'm guessing buy quantities would be 205 litre drums, or 20l/5 US gallons at a minimum.

Getsome heavy gear lube .

99% don't use a tackifier.

Mix some STP in with it.

STP isn't a tackifier, it's an oil with added polymer that thickens an oil it's added to.

Tackifiers aren't thickeners, they increase the stickiness of a fluid.

Tackifiers

IIRC 'Paratc' which is described in that link is the tack used by Stihl/Castrol for their B&C lube.

from the title, am I the only one that wondered what in the hells Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms wanted to restrict/control part of our saw oil? :hmm3grin2orange:

I had a quantity of old style Dexron ATF and mixed it with bar oil 50/50 and used it up. Seemed to work fine to me. You coulod still tell that the tackifier was present.

I've mixed new ATF with bar oil to thin it down when the bar oil seemed too thick. This occurred with a couple of older saws, non-adjustable oilers. The bar oil was an off-brand and very thick viscosity. I had several quarts of older spec ATF, so I used it up. Seemed to work well, still had the 'tack' strings showing on the bar.

I also tried the 'ATF mixed with Acetone' as a rust buster/penetrating oil deal. It was less successful, but did work in some applications. When mixed fresh, it worked well. If left in the container, it separated and didn't perform when remixed.

I had a quantity of old style Dexron ATF and mixed it with bar oil 50/50 and used it up. Seemed to work fine to me. You coulod still tell that the tackifier was present.

A tribologist (oil blender) I used to talk to a bit (Ok, I asked questions and he'd answer them :D) reckoned most B&C oils had too much tackifier IHO.

I'd mix it 50/50 with thick (winter) bar oil and run it.

Did that once myself, and with the same results. Best not to overthink things. :)

Back