attaching both front rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david miller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
sorry if this has been ask all ready. using the old style saddle how many connect both front rings together when climbing and what is the best way where you are not loading the biner 3 different direction

You are going to have to give more info and a pic might help expain your situation.
On my old weaver with 2 floating Dee's I usually used both but sometimes not.

If like Dan said, you have 2 floating Ds on your bridge then both are equally rated and will hold a load. The idea is to allow you greater freedom to tie in with 2 life lines. Very handy for branch walking.

Photos would help. :cheers:

like this using a hitch climber set up with one carabiner connecting both rings my thought is the two d rings are pulling against each other on the carabiner

That harness you showed is designed for use ONLY when both rings are linked by one karabiner. BTW what is pictured is a snaphook and is grossly unsafe in that position.

cpl of the guys i know who climb in that "4 Dee" style saddle use a spreader snap to attach them and i think Wespur sell a krab designed to be loaded on 3 sides. its called Petzl Omni Tri-Act Carabiner

Last edited:
i seen the tri act thats why i ? a standard carabiner being strong enought with 3 different forces pulling on it, thanks with all the reply

I hook into both d-rings on my Weaver with a STEEL biner. The steel biner takes any worry about directional forces or loading the biner in an odd way, out of my mind. I trust the steel biner in the occasional odd loading situation much more than alum. biners. Weights a little more but if I was really concerned about that I would stop eating pizza.

For that older style harness a maillon rapide was the connector of choice, its a triangular delta connector, designed for three way loading. Then a carabiner is clipped into that. As others have said there are other suitable devices, but one carabiner is not suitable, as you said the three way loading is bad!

A snap hook is not generally recommended for your primary life support connection, it has a far higher chance of opening accidentaly should you be moving past branches or twigs. Also the 'hook' portion is quite shallow so if it should open it could fall off more easily.
A snap hook is certainly not to standard as outlined by all the major safety organizations for life support.

That harness you showed is designed for use ONLY when both rings are linked by one karabiner. BTW what is pictured is a snaphook and is grossly unsafe in that position.

How is that snaphook "grossly" unsafe in that position. It looks like a double locking 6000# tensile snaphook which are ANSI approved for life support

Last edited:
Yeah, you kinda need both Dees there. I think Outofmytree doesn't like those snaps cause you can lean on them and they can open when used like this. he has a point although back in the day that is what I used and don't recall that happening, maybe its cause it was so long ago that I don't remember but hell, that thing could very well open inadvertantly couldn't it?

I hook into both d-rings on my Weaver with a STEEL biner. The steel biner takes any worry about directional forces or loading the biner in an odd way, out of my mind. I trust the steel biner in the occasional odd loading situation much more than alum. biners. Weights a little more but if I was really concerned about that I would stop eating pizza.

Excellent. Steel is real.

Yeah, you kinda need both Dees there. I think Outofmytree doesn't like those snaps cause you can lean on them and they can open when used like this. he has a point although back in the day that is what I used and don't recall that happening, maybe its cause it was so long ago that I don't remember but hell, that thing could very well open inadvertantly couldn't it?

Back in the day we used snap hooks with no lock, i don't think they had locking ones. Those you could open by leaning on them. You can lean on a double locking one till the cows come home and it's not going to open. Thats why they are ANSI approved.

:agree2:

I had the suprise of one time having one D ring come unclipped from the old style snap hook.

NEVER have had any problem with the double locking ones .EVER.
They are strong as hell ,and ANSI approved.

Of course ,I'm talking steel.
I have no faith in aluminum life support.

that another thing this war between steel and aluminum, i would think high quality aluminum would be fine for climbing, i think i would break before any of my gear. and the weight everything from a friction saver to all carabiner even a pulley that is connected in series into the climbing line that not even counting ascended and descenders. i know most fire rescue uses steel because they are dealing with duel body weight

that another thing this war between steel and aluminum, i would think high quality aluminum would be fine for climbing, i think i would break before any of my gear. and the weight everything from a friction saver to all carabiner even a pulley that is connected in series into the climbing line that not even counting ascended and descenders. i know most fire rescue uses steel because they are dealing with duel body weight

No war from me .Just MHO.
I just have more faith in steel.

Nascar has been a great inovator in safety.
They allow aluminum seats true,but it must be mounted to a steel frame,and they still require all wheels and roll bar material
be steel as well as all components of the fuel cell and just about any other safety related item,and all suspension parts.

I figure they have good reasons for all of it.

BTW welcome to the site.
Whereabouts in Fl. are you?

Bermie and Dan both said it right. Snaphooks require only 2 actions to open and they are directly opposite forces. When you lean into the tree especially something with lots of interfering branches it is not only possible to open a snaphook attached ventrally but it is easy to do. By all means use them is hip attachements for lanyards, but put a 3 or 4 way karabiner on your lifeline. See the amount of crap on this tree and imagine how easy it is to lean in and "pop" a hook without knowing......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tI35IO9gvE

Back to the OP. Yeah I agree with Bermie that although a rated steel biner would take the load you could use a maillon rapide to link the rings for a safer result. Or you could make a short rope bridge and pass the krab through there. Plenty of choices but do use both rings, side loading your harness is almost as bad as side loading your spine. Imagine how you would walk after working a 10 hour hard climb with the lifeline putting torque on your back the whole time!

Back