ATV log hauler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneno77

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience w/ the ATV log haulers? I've been looking at the Baileys model as well as the Bercomac and just wondered how useful they are. I have access to plenty of ground that isn't too steep and thought it would be a great tool. I was curious if anyone here had any experience w/ these. Would be used mostly for hauling softwoods to the house to work up into firewood. Thanks.

Those are my concerns as well. Figured I'd at least ask over here and see if anyone had used one and how big of a machine they used to pull it. Most of the wood would be dry DF or Lodgepole, so compared to hardwoods, it would be relatively lite.
I'd be using a Kubota RTV to pull it, but still a little concerned about weight. Thanks for the replies.

wow, for 11k you could buy a REAL log truck with a REAL grapple. and even have a set of brakes. ;) i would deffently look into a truck before you shell out that kind of money.

my dad was thinking about gettin one before i aquired my f-150 but ruled it out due to size and weight but im tryin to get him to reconsider it.i think a that hauler is more built for a mid sized truck with short bed and cab.

It doesn't have hydraulics like the trailers your looking at but I've been using the Novajack forestry trailer for the past five years and absolutely love it. I pull around 30+ loads of Jackpine a year, usually 12 or 15 footers. If the trails are muddy or the terrain is hilly I load 9 footers.

It uses a loading mast to load heavy the logs. I just attach a chain to the trailer, roll the log over the chain, then hook the rope on the mast to the chain and wind it in with a two speed hand winch. It takes very little effort, but it's kinda slow. Takes me probably 20 minutes to do a full load.

I have no trouble pulling it with my Arctic Cat 650, it's a heavy pig with a granny low tranny.

If you can justify the cost, that aluminum Bercomac is sweet. That's the one i would get.

attachment.php

http://www.bercomac.com/accessoiresDetails_ang.php?page=videos&noAccessoire=29&directe=1

I agree...the Berc is a nicer unit. I found a great used one for 7500, but it's all the way across the country..:(

I like the ski option they show in that video as well. Only problem is I would have to invest anoter 4-6K for the tracks to run on snow. I wonder if a guy could get around the gate closures by using it as an OSV and not get in trouble w/ the USFS. During spring snow conditions (hard pack) a guy could do some serious wood getting w/o all the compitition..(=

Does anyone have any experience w/ the ATV log haulers? I've been looking at the Baileys model as well as the Bercomac and just wondered how useful they are. I have access to plenty of ground that isn't too steep and thought it would be a great tool. I was curious if anyone here had any experience w/ these. Would be used mostly for hauling softwoods to the house to work up into firewood. Thanks.

I guess on flat ground an ATV could lug those around. 900 and 1100lbs before you put a stick on sounds like alot to pull behind 900lbs of atv with you on it... I've had a 1400lb oak log on an arch it was much more stressful than having my usual 800 or 900lb load of firewood. I can't really imagine pulling 2500lbs+ with an ATV unless you are on flat flat dry ground...
I wonder how much lighter the novajack version is, obviously from the pics it can haul a decent load.
Are you going to do dozens of cords a year to sell? I guess then you could use the automation. Just to do 4 or 5 cords a year I wouldn't bother. I just use a northtrails atv trailer that dumps and usually drive right up the fallen tree, buck and load, dump at the wood pile to split...
I guess its your money but I'm getting a small 4x4 tractor with a loader before I'd get an 11k trailer.
Ian

Agree...I don't know how well an ATV would do w/ a full load on one of these, but it sure does look handy for the flat areas on my property. I figured w/ the 2" ball, I could also use it for firewooding on mountain roads behind my truck. Cut a bunch of 10' lengths and use the loader to load the truck as well as the trailer and significantly cut down on my round trips. We are in the finishing stages of a house build, and installed a CL5036. I've had it fired for about a month to drive moisture out of the house and dry the drywall mud...so far, its using quite a bit of wood, but the heat is turned up way more than I would normally have it. I figure on getting at least 10cords piled up for it this year. My father in law also heats his house and shop w/ wood, so I usually end up cutting or help cutting between 12-15 cords for him. Always end up helping my dad w/ at least 4-6 cords as well, so all totalled, it's a lot of wood cutting for me. I see something like this as a long term investment to reduce impact on my body and speed up the process so I can enjoy more time fishing..(=
We have some pretty good lodgepole patches around here that have been beetle killed. Most are w/in dropping distance of the road. How nice would it be to fall the tree, limb it, cut in suitable lengths, and load everything up w/ the grapple. Get back to the house, use the grapple to unload 3-4 logs at a time onto the cutting bunk. Run the 7900 through them w/o fear of hitting the ground, and repeat as neccessary.....hey, it's my dream, don't let common sense get in the way of a good day dream..:greenchainsaw:

That thing is cool as hell, but what ATV can tow that much weight in the woods? Now if you had an old YJ Wrangler I could see it being useful.

Local guy who used to run a sawmill (still has the mill, but hasn't milled in a few years now) would occasionally cut the timber too. Used a 1980's Honda 185 three wheeler (I believe it had a dual range tranny) and a homemade log arch. He'd haul logs out of the woods with the ATV, then hitch the arch to his truck and drive to the mill. I wish I had a picture of his arch.

Agree...I don't know how well an ATV would do w/ a full load on one of these, but it sure does look handy for the flat areas on my property. I figured w/ the 2" ball, I could also use it for firewooding on mountain roads behind my truck. Cut a bunch of 10' lengths and use the loader to load the truck as well as the trailer and significantly cut down on my round trips. We are in the finishing stages of a house build, and installed a CL5036. I've had it fired for about a month to drive moisture out of the house and dry the drywall mud...so far, its using quite a bit of wood, but the heat is turned up way more than I would normally have it. I figure on getting at least 10cords piled up for it this year. My father in law also heats his house and shop w/ wood, so I usually end up cutting or help cutting between 12-15 cords for him. Always end up helping my dad w/ at least 4-6 cords as well, so all totalled, it's a lot of wood cutting for me. I see something like this as a long term investment to reduce impact on my body and speed up the process so I can enjoy more time fishing..(=
We have some pretty good lodgepole patches around here that have been beetle killed. Most are w/in dropping distance of the road. How nice would it be to fall the tree, limb it, cut in suitable lengths, and load everything up w/ the grapple. Get back to the house, use the grapple to unload 3-4 logs at a time onto the cutting bunk. Run the 7900 through them w/o fear of hitting the ground, and repeat as neccessary.....hey, it's my dream, don't let common sense get in the way of a good day dream..:greenchainsaw:

Well that is a whack of wood to cut in a year! Used behind something heavier than an atv I think those trailers are pretty good. $11k divided by 200 cords is still $55/cord but it does sound good, being able to move logs that easy. There are certainly worse things to spend money on thats for sure!:cheers: And I guess when you figure what it would cost to heat all those buildings without wood then $11k isn't that much.

Ba ha ha ha! Now we are up to $26k for a used Bobcat? $35k new?

Man, get a real 4WD tractor for that kind of money. A good L series Kubota or a JD with a roll cage and a bucket and tooth bar and fork lift brackets. I did a lot of logging and clearing with a Kubota 4WD. Dragging trees, knocking over snags, loading and such. Then put a tooth bar on the bucket and rip up the blackberries, grade and rock roads, dig and place culverts, etc.

You need bigger size with logging. A little Bobcat is good for building houses with and loading in a factory and in tight situations. Out in the woods I want a larger tool to do the job. And at that price for a Bobcat, holy :censored:!!! I can hear the JD and Kubota tractors calling to me.

Last edited:
$15k gets you this...

This is on CL today, $15k. 50HP L series Kubota with a box scraper and a bucket setup. Good hauling and loading ability. I used one of these and a larger M series Kubota to manage a 105 acre sheep ranch and 85 acre timber stand with. It did the job and then some. For logging the smaller L series 4WD did the job, as well as grading the roads in and out of the areas that we were falling logs and thinning. It was hard on my knees after a few hours of operating. But that thing can haul a lot w/o a trailer rig. Just drag them with chains.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/1064896212.html

attachment.php

Last edited:
Wow...definately some cool tools/ideas out there. I love the Kubota stuff, but that Toolcat is pretty sweet. The main reason I wanted something smaller is to manuver around in crowded timber and navigate roads/trails that may not be accessable to full sized vehicles/equipment. My FIL has a new 50+ hp Kubota tractor w/ the Farmi wench, brush grapple, and other acc. It's definately very handy around the house, but taking it up into the woods isn't too practical. Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas on my quest to make my wood gathering more efficient.:greenchainsaw:

I am using a 1980 Kubota L305 4wd and loader.The engine is only 79 ci and in the low 20 hp range.My trailer is 46"x84" long with 18" sides.The tractor weighs around 2000 lbs plus loaded rears.This setup is fine for level and small grades but I need to drop it down to granny gear to get up one steep hill on my property.This tractor is equal in size to a Ford 8n but with alot less power.I think an ideal woodlot tractor would be around a 125 ci 4wd tractor that weighed about 3000lb before loading the tires

Latest posts

Back