AutoTune, just junk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamish

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Gen 1, AT, 576XP, 2009.

Annual Inlet pipe change. Waiting on the Russian model pipe for cold weather. Seems there ain't too many round that are crazy enough to cut in the same conditions as those in Siberia!

This is the fourth one I have changed, thus annually, and waiting for a box of the "other" ones to arrive from overseas.
On an non AT saw, it would be cooked, and needing a new top end. AT reacts to the condition and compensates for it.

In very cold conditions the pipe has a tendency to split. In cold conditions the saw reacts with a higher idle rpm (near clutch engagement speed). When it gets warm out and the pipe softens up, idle becomes a 6K rpm idle.

They do there best to save themselves.

Immediate troubleshooting is automatically suspecting the AT system. Foregoing the basics of troubleshooting two strokes.

There are some AT saws out there with some problems, but there are ten fold more out there running and cutting everyday with no issues.

The Gen2 EL44 saws with hesitation issues seems to have sorted them selves out, by means primarily of software updates and run time.

I would not hesitate to take this 576 with its current inlet pipe and go out and cut 10 full cord of wood. She wont die, just burn more fuel.DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0003.JPG

Good post hamish...there needs to be more of the 'true facts' of AT systems rather than the minority influencing the majority. I can't believe a guy 2day was considering not buying a ms261 because of MT. All l see is the advantages of MT/AT not the less than 1% that 'may' have a problem due to it.

I agree, problems with AutoTune are rare. For over 2 years my colleagues and I use saws AT, I've never seen a problem with AutoTune. And saws work 8h/day. In addition, in case of engine failure, the seller can not say that the saw was set incorrectly.

For cons, I've seen quite a few problems with the CM 441. Technology is not yet reliable I think.

I hear ya, Hamish. There have been VERY few problems with the AT system itself. Only replaced one coil and computer to date. The carbs, as with any engine, have had some issues. Still a very limited number but it seems people blame it all on the computer system. This has been the reason for our efforts to remedy the CARB issues.

For that matter, a 200T has an issue with tune, can this be fixed with needles? Nope it needs a new carb to meter properly. Only then can it be tuned for the long haul. Come to think of it, many of the first ported saws had air leaks...and big ones. The AT in almost all cases saved that top end by throwing fuel at the leak keeping temps down. Needles can't do that....

What kind of saws do you have?

MS-390
Echo CS-4600
Echo cs-370
Plus lots of other projects and old saws. And yes my 370 has been derestricted. Nothing wrong with an autotune/mtronic carb. For some people its probably the greatest thing since the invention of the inertia brake. But to me it feels like Nav in a car, or a car that self paralell park. Yes its very exciting technologically. But im a simple man and i like to keep my tools simple. I dont wanna make sure i have the latest firmware every time i go to use the saw.

Afraid? Sure, just as much as im afraid of blueberry pancakes and breakfast sausage(2 other things i dont like)

I hear ya, Hamish. There have been VERY few problems with the AT system itself. Only replaced one coil and computer to date. The carbs, as with any engine, have had some issues. Still a very limited number but it seems people blame it all on the computer system. This has been the reason for our efforts to remedy the CARB issues.

For that matter, a 200T has an issue with tune, can this be fixed with needles? Nope it needs a new carb to meter properly. Only then can it be tuned for the long haul. Come to think of it, many of the first ported saws had air leaks...and big ones. The AT in almost all cases saved that top end by throwing fuel at the leak keeping temps down. Needles can't do that....

You are absolutely right that people tend to blame the AT for "normal" issues, that has nothing to do with the AT.

I am also sure that the AT has saved some top ends from "burning up" after developing air leaks, as it reacts to that by richening the fuel to air mix. :D

Last edited:
Afraid? Sure, just as much as im afraid of blueberry pancakes and breakfast sausage(2 other things i dont like)

Do you know anything about blueberry pancakes and breakfast sausage? I have a feeling the decision to be afraid of them is an informed decision. Your statements about "new technology" in saws leaves me to believe that you do not know anything about what's actually happening in there.

MS-390
Echo CS-4600
Echo cs-370
Plus lots of other projects and old saws. And yes my 370 has been derestricted. Nothing wrong with an autotune/mtronic carb. For some people its probably the greatest thing since the invention of the inertia brake. But to me it feels like Nav in a car, or a car that self paralell park. Yes its very exciting technologically. But im a simple man and i like to keep my tools simple. I dont wanna make sure i have the latest firmware every time i go to use the saw.

Your statement is very contradictory. You say your a simple man. AT/mt is as simple as it gets. Start the saw and go cut! Perfect tune and no tuning needed. It can't get more simple then that. :dizzy: There is no worry of a burnt up top end. Where as a standard saw that might have a air leak or too lean of a tune would melt the piston.

Do you know anything about blueberry pancakes and breakfast sausage? I have a feeling the decision to be afraid of them is an informed decision. Your statements about "new technology" in saws leaves me to believe that you do not know anything about what's actually happening in there.

I do have some firsthand experience with breakfast foods. But i dont see what your point is. I didnt say the AT sucks. I didnt say it has problems or doesnt work. What i said is that i like my tools simpler and i wont run an electronic carb. Being that my feelings about something cant be argued with, i dont know why you try. May as well convince me to like sweet breakfast foods, it might be easier

Your statement is very contradictory. You say your a simple man. AT/mt is as simple as it gets. Start the saw and go cut! Perfect tune and no tuning needed. It can't get more simple then that. :dizzy: There is no worry of a burnt up top end. Where as a standard saw that might have a air leak or too lean of a tune would melt the piston.
My statement is in no way contradictory. Youre full of **** if you really gonna tell me an electronic carb is simpler than a mechanical carb. Look at an exploded diagram and then say it again with a straight face

Guess what folks, looks like we got ourselves a brand new troll on AS...
Im a troll because i dont let other peoples opinions sway my own? Theyre trying to tell me im wrong for not liking autotune carbs. I never said anything about the carb other than my personal preferences to it.

Latest posts

Back