Axe Men

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard that out west they use blimps to haul wood out of particularly difficult areas. That's some shizzle.

As for the reason these guys out west have such long bars is that every so often they come upon a tree 9 feet in diameter and don't want to have to find a scrench, take off the bar, grab the long bar from the truck 1/2 mile away, oh shizz somebody dropped a log on it it's bent, go find another one, then go find the long chain.....oh here it is but the idiot who used it last got some dirt on it and forgot to sharpen it. I guess it's easier just to have the long bar on all the time. Back east we just don't have any 9 foot trees. About 5 foot is tops (Sycamore, cottonwood gets that big, yellow tulip wood that big too) but not 9 feet!

No, there was a balloon rigged system they used over on the Olympic area. I never saw it so I can't explain it. The balloon was used for lifting the lines I think. The blimp you may be referring to is a tragic story. The USFS was trying to develop a Heliostat. It was a blimp powered by 4 helicopters that were attached to the blimp and controlled it. During the tryout, it crashed and killed a couple of people. This was around 1984. The project was scrapped.

I'm more into yarding and can say that except for all the swinging of guys on lines, and the helicopter layout, and the rope used instead of haywire, it was pretty much right on. Downright accurate in saying a crew was shorthanded and having the chaser head down. I get called in when there's a problem and extra trees need cutting or there's an area that can't be reached. I'm hoping they'll show you guys multi-span, which is done quite a bit up here to keep from building roads. I hate having to follow a young hooktender, who is like a gazelle in the brush, jumping from log to log....and here I come stumbling around behind. The hooktender has time for a smoke while I flounder after him. My favorite common injury NOT!--getting stobbed in the leg. Hopefully, when one loses balance in the brush, one lands on the softer slash and not on the logs! :cheers:

I did notice during my choker setting lesson last summer, that the more I scampered with the chokers, the balance improved and the body loosened up.
The guy I was helping out said the time sure passed quicker too. But I left my lunch and water up on the road so had to head up. The rigging guys and cutters are all working with forces (physics). Good choker setters can hook a log on and figure how hard it can hit a standing tree without damaging the bark on the standing tree. Definitely requires skill, especially in a partial cut.

Good one Mark!!!!!

Nope,,,,,, No hotel!!!! I camped out with Dean a few days under the shadow of Mt. St. Helen!!!!!!!!! and He helped me build a new 044/046 OEM hotrod!!!!! that absolutley freaking rocks,,, then I Hung out with Andy a couple of days ,,,,,, and My Ex BIL(we stihl talk) is a detective w/Seattle PD

I'M by far no logging expert,,,,,, but I have lots of saw time on blowdowns and storm cleanup with My familys background,,,,,,,

BTW Finally got the P/C for the 066 Mag your old Full wrap handle bar is going on:clap: :clap: :clap: it should be a good un!!!!! :greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Yeah slowp is right,,,,,,, it rained the whole time!!!!!:cry:

Good enough for me...:cheers:

Mark

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, set eiusmod tempor incidunt et labore et dolore magna aliquam. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerc. Irure dolor in reprehend incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse molestaie cillum. Tia non ob ea soluad incom dereud facilis est er expedit distinct. Nam liber te conscient to factor tum poen legum odioque civiuda et tam. Neque pecun modut est neque nonor et imper ned libidig met, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed ut labore et dolore magna aliquam is nostrud exercitation ullam mmodo consequet. Duis aute in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.

OK I was ready for that

"There's two rigging guys who have worked together for eons. They come as a pair, I believe, when hired. They'll be talking at the same time and understanding each other! Nobody else does, but they do. It is kind of eerie. Like they have mind melded or something. Truck drivers have contact with log scalers. The log scaler is the Grand Poohbah of Rumor Control. The scaling shack takes in all rumors from the 4 corners of the earth and then sorts and disseminates these rumors. The trucker then carries the new "information" out to the crews in the woods. It is a very efficient operation requiring a few donuts."

You always need to keep a card up your sleeve just in case.

Working with Corrections Officers I have come to understand that the greatest rumor control system in Human History is in our prison systems. The Inmates readily admit this and are proud of their expertise. Every Officer has some sort of story about working in one end of a Cell Block, doing something else for 30 - 60 minutes and finding an accurate rumor has beaten him/her to the other end of a neighboring cell block. This could be during a lock down.

A for instance was the Corrections Officer that got canned a couple years ago. One of the Inmates recognized her as a former stripper from the Portland area. A select group of Inmates in the camp knew of her work history, including specifics of her act, and that she preferred Hispanic guys. A Hispanic Inmate utilized this information and had a very successful relationship, (they played hide the sausage), with the Officer at the same time she was having an affair with another Corrections Officer. This was complicated by her providing drugs, (tobacco and possibly other contraband), to the Inmates - possibly to help keep things 'secret'.
I found out about all of this after the fact.

Now I tell you of this information is power rumor mill story just to illustrate a tangled web inside the bars.

Of course I would never spread a rumor myself.

Last edited:
"There's two rigging guys who have worked together for eons. They come as a pair, I believe, when hired. They'll be talking at the same time and understanding each other! Nobody else does, but they do. It is kind of eerie. Like they have mind melded or something. Truck drivers have contact with log scalers. The log scaler is the Grand Poohbah of Rumor Control. The scaling shack takes in all rumors from the 4 corners of the earth and then sorts and disseminates these rumors. The trucker then carries the new "information" out to the crews in the woods. It is a very efficient operation requiring a few donuts."

You always need to keep a card up your sleeve just in case.

Working with Corrections Officers I have come to understand that the greatest rumor control system in Human History is in our prison systems. The Inmates readily admit this and are proud of their expertise. Every Officer has some sort of story about working in one end of a Cell Block, doing some else for 30 - 60 minutes and finding an accurate rumor has beaten him/her to the other end of a neighboring cell block. This could be during a lock down.

A for instance was the Corrections Officer that got canned a couple years ago. One of the Inmates recognized her as a former stripper from the Portland area. A select group of Inmates in the camp knew of her work history, including specifics of her act, and that she preferred Hispanic guys. A Hispanic Inmate utilized this information and had a very successful relationship, (they played hide the sausage), with the Officer at the same time she was having an affair with another Corrections Officer. This was complicated by her providing drugs, (tobacco and possibly other contraband), to the Inmates - possibly to help keep things 'secret'.
I found out about all of this after the fact.

Now I tell you of this information is power rumor mill story just to illustrate a tangled web inside the bars.

Of course I would never spread a rumor myself.

I think that was the most bizzare post I have read on AS. Well in the chainsaw forum anyway.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, set eiusmod tempor incidunt et labore et dolore magna aliquam. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerc. Irure dolor in reprehend incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse molestaie cillum. Tia non ob ea soluad incom dereud facilis est er expedit distinct. Nam liber te conscient to factor tum poen legum odioque civiuda et tam. Neque pecun modut est neque nonor et imper ned libidig met, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed ut labore et dolore magna aliquam is nostrud exercitation ullam mmodo consequet. Duis aute in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.

Translation? Lorem has a pain in the amet and is stuck up. The work incident is a pain in the big aliquam. You enimaed something about minimal blood and it was a savage pain and labor on the commode. Your digestive system erupted. Auntie was not able to find an easy or distinct cause. Nam read and thought to make a legume civilized hat. Nothing was easy nor lovely. and then you are repeating yourself. Pretty good eh? I took Espanol. Jes suis les formage. Time for Benadryll.

Peeps

So does anyone from here know anyone from the show??? That's my big question...

:popcorn:

It's Latin dude. Roman.

French, Italian, Spanish all have latin roots. I figured that one out. They are all called Romance Languages because of their origination. I learned that in high school...Now, try Gaelic if you want a real challenge.

An interesting result of working with people who often mumble because they have chew in their mouths. When my dad had a stroke, I was the only one in the family who could understand him when he talked. My sister took me aside and asked how in the heck did I know what he was saying. I answered that a lot of the loggers spoke that way normally. :)

Last edited:
I am a bad person

"That was wrong Smoke....."

Lord, I pologize fer dat der link.
Just a status check of all the manly Lumberjack gaydars.

==================

It did get me to wondering.
I searched eBay for just Gay.
Over 6,000 items.

Back to Ax Men.

Mirror image

"An interesting result of working with people who often mumble because they have chew in their mouths. When my dad had a stroke, I was the only one in the family who could understand him when he talked. My sister took me aside and asked how in the heck did I know what he was saying. I answered that a lot of the loggers spoke that way normally."

Another nice touch is that they both dribble stuff out of the corners of their mouth. Since chewing is more revolting than a stroke persons spit, there is no problem with being grossed out.

Relax every one. I had Bells Palsy fairly bad 5 years ago.

At least I could understand myself.

{I always offer chewers food just after they put a pinch in. That way I present the illusion that I'm a good person and get to keep the grits.}

Last edited:
Languages

SlowP speaks English, conversational spanish, can translate other romance languages and chew.

Do I speak chew?

No low slabloo, (downward head motion and) splot.
{Followed by a knowing stare.}

"That was wrong Smoke....."

Lord, I pologize fer dat der link.
Just a status check of all the manly Lumberjack gaydars.

==================

It did get me to wondering.
I searched eBay for just Gay.
Over 6,000 items.

Back to Ax Men.

:) Ya know, Smoke, when you put up a link I just kind of automatically follow it 'cause you've always got good information and interesting things to talk about. I'm rethinking that.

I may have to start using a bit of caution now, though. That was mean, Smoke, just plain mean. Funny...but mean. :cheers: Bob

That was mean, just plain mean.

Here is what real mean is.

You might want to not read this if there is any chance of backsliding by a practical joker who suffers from an occasional mean streak.

RW, who is now a DA, and SC, who is now a small small town Police Chief got together and made a plan.

On a trip to the Jump Base at Redding one of them acquired a male homosexual magazine. (Redding has a seedy side; I don't think it was hard.)

Step 1: Back at Redmond they took the cover off a put a Hustler cover on it.
Step 2: They put this piece of evil genius in stall #1 of the downstairs male bathroom and let nature take its course.

For a few days this scenario repeated itself.
A howl of male anguish from Stall #1.
A bunch of other guys who had been had rush in with Shhhhhhh! Quiet, do you want to be the last one?

At no time should anyone here ever do such a thing. Either at their workplace, just before retirement or any other work place that they don't care for.

Perish the thought.

Last edited:
Recording.

I don't have cable TV. Do you think it might go online, or might a recording be available?

The History Channel will have a recording available I am sure. You may have to wait until the series has gone on for a while, or they may have them now.

Back