Axes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good to know Iron Head, I'll get these things cleaned up and hafted so I can put em to work. I have not heard many good things about those "Chopper One's" myself. I have a few knock offs of the Chopper One that you can see in the background of my pic, but I haven't tried them out yet. You can see that one is a double bit with the levers one one side, I had to buy that one just for the weirdness of it.

I disagree on the Chopper One - my dad and I each have one and they get regular use. This year mine split a huge amount of red oak, it just blasted apart most of the butt end rounds, maybe 32 to 36" (quartering for moving as discussed in the other thread here). It was far more effective than my best splitting axe or the 8lb maul (nasty orc tool). I only had to get the wedges out on a couple of rounds. On other wood at other times it has been useless, but then again that's true of most of these tools and why we have various types.

I only have one double-bit axe and it is only 3-1/2lb, which it too light for much of my work. I have used it some and I like the feel - it has a different stability due to the different distribution of mass. I do often do the "twist", even with my single bit axes, but given the longer head length it may be more effective on the double bit.

Here's a good old thread. Too bad many of the contributors didn't come back after the great hack.

Our family shied away from double bit axes as my grandpa's friend got cut open pretty good one time when the axe got caught in something above him and ended up coming down his back. But I can see where they would come in handy. I do.have one or two old DB heads that need handles.

My BIL splits with a double bit axe, he's very good with it. He splits at least 10 cord a year, has a hydro that sets year after year, has stale gas and it and I doubt it would even start now. I've never known another person to use one.
You do not know me yet !!! But I started with with a double blade axe with out a clue, and it changed my life.

Latest posts

Back