baby critters in trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I hate it when I mess up a nest. Is there a place to drop off baby squirrels and birds? I have accidentally ended the lives of many over the past few years. I have even unknowingly cut a few squirrels in half that were living inside a hollow silver maple branch!

The other day I was grinding a rotten stump and the huge rat just flies out. I keep grinding only to find 6 tiny baby rats inside a cavity. Their eyes weren't even opened yet. Cute little things. I was hoping to put them by the bush where their mama went but the HO saw them and asked that I kill them! (they are rats after all)

She wanted me to put them in a plastic bag and throw them in the garbage! I felt awful letting them suffer like that. So I put them in the plastic bag... thought about it for a while, then put them under my truck tire and SQUASH. MAN I felt pretty bad but hey they were rats!

Pretty tough to kill something that is so defenseless but like you say they are rats but of course everything breathing wants nothing but just to live. At least you took them out quickly leaving them in a garbage bag to bake in the heat would have been easy but not right.

Pretty tough to kill something that is so defenseless but like you say they are rats but of course everything breathing wants nothing but just to live. At least you took them out quickly leaving them in a garbage bag to bake in the heat would have been easy but not right.

But a lot less messy

i know here in south FL there a wildlife center SPCA. I take on a average 50 baby squirrel a year . and maybe 1 or 2 baby racoons and other I.E bats, birds.they take all wildlife and raise and release them. plus look for a wildlife rehaber in your area. trust me I bust my ass all day and still drive there after work to drop them off.

Be careful Mike, what you bring them may cost you a heavy fine. In California, you can be fined for disturbing or killing migratory bird's. We once year's ago knocked out a hawk nest with babies and had to go to court with Fish and Game. You don't win with them. This state need's money and now, quess what they include as a migratory bird.
I will go get a beer and then tell you, you will crap!
Jeff :msp_smile:
'There's your smile'

i know here in south FL there a wildlife center SPCA. I take on a average 50 baby squirrel a year . and maybe 1 or 2 baby racoons and other I.E bats, birds.they take all wildlife and raise and release them. plus look for a wildlife rehaber in your area. trust me I bust my ass all day and still drive there after work to drop them off.

David, thank you so very much for your kindness and compassion. Rep for you!! Islero :msp_smile:

Just yesterday I cleared a nest, prior to bringing down a tree, and two baby doves popped out. One flew to a neighboring tree, the other flew to the ground. I got the one on the ground, climbed the tree his sib was in and put him on a branch. The parents swooped in and fed both of the kids as we were leaving the site. In years prior, I have fed younger birds, taught them to fly, in my garage, and taken them to the wildlife shelter, here, where they are reintroduced back into the wild. What goes around, comes around----

when i was younger I shoot anything that moved now as I got older it hard for me to see something suffer guess Im paying for my pass life:msp_smile:but back on topic most baby bird and nest can be relocate near by and the parents will take care of them, the old myth if you touch a baby bird the parent will abandon them is not true. Ive seen many time when a baby squirrel fell to the ground and the mother came in and pick it up

when i was younger I shoot anything that moved now as I got older it hard for me to see something suffer guess Im paying for my pass life:msp_smile:but back on topic most baby bird and nest can be relocate near by and the parents will take care of them, the old myth if you touch a baby bird the parent will abandon them is not true. Ive seen many time when a baby squirrel fell to the ground and the mother came in and pick it up

That is really good to know! so are you saying if I run into a nest that I can place it in another tree or on another branch some where really? I had to do a tree thin out not long ago so my costomer could have a chance of grass growing this year and I was worried about a a bird nest (with two eggs) not having enough branches around it afterwards because the wind could knock it out the tree if given a enough wind or a bad storm.

We brought home a baby bird yesterday, just about old enough to start flying. We went to the compost pile and dug out a bucnh of worms, he sees us coming and he starts screaming, gobbles them right up. I was thinking about the karma thing matt said, how does it work when ya gotta kill all those worms to feed a bird, hmmmmm. One worm was a fighter, it was pretty exciting, trying to get that thing into the babys mouth, man I need to get a life.

Latest posts

Back