Back at it again!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously, one Earth Firstie from Texas, called Gypsy, was killed when he got hit by a tree in Humboldt County. He became a martyr. The stupid guy was running up from below the cutter to try to stop the cutting. The protestors wanted the cutter tried for manslaughter. The prosecutor refused. What a mess it was. I felt sorry for the cutter. How dare that idiot wreck a guy's life and I'm talking about wrecking the cutter's life--not the dead guy. :mad:
I know this sad tale. The faller actually shut off his saw and screamed at them to get the f-out of there. They were warned, had plenty of time to leave, but the cull got what he wanted.

What would be funny here, if it wasn't so pathetic, is how some want to save "it" from being "destroyed", when it has already been clearcut and grown back. They call it pristine wilderness, its second or third growth, in reality.

Ya know with them hippies and such to get thier attention away from the tree... walk slowly out of the area they are in and while holding up a rolled up joint or a glass pipe/water pipe sort of thing... and the other hand a bigmac from Mcdonalds.. they will follow you drooling..

Ya know with them hippies and such to get thier attention away from the tree... walk slowly out of the area they are in and while holding up a rolled up joint or a glass pipe/water pipe sort of thing... and the other hand a bigmac from Mcdonalds.. they will follow you drooling..

Or start a drum circle and they will follow....

it's funny not one person has spoken up against this bashing with some common sense? :censored: here goes.
as one who generally avoids conflict, it's sad to see people bashing on others saying they're hypocrites and should be contributing members of society, yet are at the forefront of societies degradation by being close-minded and refusing to listen to the opinions/perceptions of others. as a professional forester, i find it much more satisfying to educate people and change the way people think and look at forest operations, rather than create bigger divisions between those with differing opinions.
now, i am not condoning the effort of the 'stinking fag hippies', but it could be a case of misguided information and while it does 'nothing' it raises awareness and has obviously triggered something within many of you. while it may not prevent logging or cutting of old growth, it is their way of being heard in a field where there is so much policy and litigation that the opinions of all groups are often lost in the political BS. as stewards of the land, it is our duty to act respectfully, as it is the trees and earth that allows us our lively hood. we must educate others on the benefits of forest management and silviculture practices and minimize conflict with those who may not fully understand what is happening.
i'm sure i will receive a lot of hate for this opinion and point of view, but i figure that one changed mind or the next time that you are dealing with a situation that you will try not let you preconceived notions of 'dirty pot smoking hippies' coincide with the fact that people have different opinions and that educate and respecting another individual is really the best way to get your ideas across.

Those people

These idiots aren't just harmless protestors.

There is a significant dirty tricks component to this movement.

Just because they're stupid doesn't mean they are not dangerous.

=============

The guy I really fear may be limited in his direct involvement but his behind the scenes control could be a serious factor in the stepping up of these protests again.
Particularly the fire bombing.

Tre Arrow is out in a half way house in Portland.

smokechase-
i realize that some of the things they do i.e. spiking trees, etc. can be very dangerous and definitely think it stupid. thats what i'm trying to get across. the point being that creating a bigger division between groups doesn't help the situation, it just makes it worse for both sides.

better than me meaning what? i am assuming you mean in their views...while people are hesitant and resist change readily, if you approach most people in a level-headed and respectful manner, more often than not, they will actually listen. as for education, i have dealt with so many different cultures and ideas coming from hawaii being a haole 'white' and have found that above all else that respect is key.

...i dont think the overturned bus,lock boxes,treesits,or numbnuts running around in an active tree felling area should be percieved as just wanting "to talk things out"over coffee and doughnuts!you can jawjack all you want but "these people" are obviously at war...and should not be taken lightly

Over for now

Last I heard they had arrested the protestors that refused to leave, and housed them in our county jail. Their spokesperson stated they would regroup, and begin the efforts as soon as everyone is released. Seems like nothing but a big disruptive mess to me.
Where abouts is that Umpcoos ridge sale?
Near a little commmunity called Ash Valley. The ridge it'sself is centered between Lakeside to the West(HWY 101), Kellog to the East(HWY 138), Scottsburg to the North, and Alleghany to the South.

Respect is earned!

smokechase-
i realize that some of the things they do i.e. spiking trees, etc. can be very dangerous and definitely think it stupid. thats what i'm trying to get across. the point being that creating a bigger division between groups doesn't help the situation, it just makes it worse for both sides.

better than me meaning what? i am assuming you mean in their views...while people are hesitant and resist change readily, if you approach most people in a level-headed and respectful manner, more often than not, they will actually listen. as for education, i have dealt with so many different cultures and ideas coming from hawaii being a haole 'white' and have found that above all else that respect is key.

If someone or some people came in to You're little office, unplugged You're computer, spiked You're keyboard, drained the oil out of You're car, got in You're face and started yelling at You, and preaching how You're killing the enviroment by you're consumption of natural resources, and aiding of the timber industry, would You still respect them, and would it not raise some emotion from within You. I will listen to the educated, and civil opinions of those whose outlooks, and beliefs are different than mine. But the way I was brought up You earn respect, and it's not earned by acting like terrorists, and interfering with peoples livelihoods, or throwing a fit, burning down car dealerships, turning over buses, and making slanderous remarks at people. True not all are like that but this is the way they are representing themselves like it or not, Oregon is a place that has been brought up by our timber industry, and agricultural industry, and no amount of big city, well educated, tree hugging, big money, sweet talking bull$hit by someone whom feels they are deserving respect even considering their behavior is going to sway the opinions of those who have experienced some of the radical ideas, and protests that these folks represent.

Last edited:
If someone or some people came in to You're little office, unplugged You're computer, spiked You're keyboard, drained the oil out of You're car, got in You're face and started yelling at You, and preaching how You're killing the enviroment by you're consumption of natural resources, and aiding of the timber industry, would You still respect them, and would it not raise some emotion from within You. I will listen to the educated, and civil opinions of those whose outlooks, and beliefs are different than mine. But the way I was brought up You earn respect, and it's not earned by acting like terrorists, and interfering with peoples livelihoods, or throwing a fit, burning down car dealerships, turning over buses, and making slanderous remarks at people. True not all are like that but this is the way they are representing themselves like it or not, Oregon is a place that has been brought up by our timber industry, and agricultural industry, and no amount of big city, well educated, tree hugging, big money, sweet talking bull$hit by someone whom feels they are deserving respect even considering their behavior is going to sway the opinions of those who have experienced some of the radical ideas, and protests that these folks represent.

Well said.

:agree2: They need to earn respect, not give out disrespect to people who make their livelihood off the timber and preserve it at the same time. Most of the preconceived notions that some people have of these people in this thread are not preconceived they are justified. I am not prejudiced against anybody in particular, except someone that shows up and FORCES their ideas upon me, it could be the pope and hes goin to have a :censored: problem. If they want to talk about there viewpoint then i will listen, when they get beligerent etc. they can expect the same from me. Why is the world so :censored: up?

it's funny not one person has spoken up against this bashing with some common sense? :censored: here goes.
as one who generally avoids conflict, it's sad to see people bashing on others saying they're hypocrites and should be contributing members of society, yet are at the forefront of societies degradation by being close-minded and refusing to listen to the opinions/perceptions of others. as a professional forester, i find it much more satisfying to educate people and change the way people think and look at forest operations, rather than create bigger divisions between those with differing opinions.
now, i am not condoning the effort of the 'stinking fag hippies', but it could be a case of misguided information and while it does 'nothing' it raises awareness and has obviously triggered something within many of you. while it may not prevent logging or cutting of old growth, it is their way of being heard in a field where there is so much policy and litigation that the opinions of all groups are often lost in the political BS. as stewards of the land, it is our duty to act respectfully, as it is the trees and earth that allows us our lively hood. we must educate others on the benefits of forest management and silviculture practices and minimize conflict with those who may not fully understand what is happening.
i'm sure i will receive a lot of hate for this opinion and point of view, but i figure that one changed mind or the next time that you are dealing with a situation that you will try not let you preconceived notions of 'dirty pot smoking hippies' coincide with the fact that people have different opinions and that educate and respecting another individual is really the best way to get your ideas across.

So by being recently educated in forestry will that automaticaly make one an experienced, and professional forester. I attended O.S.U some instructors were pretty biased on the side of enviromentally narrow minded protesting type motivated folks.

Quote from another post by Eastside. (I graduated from Oregon State college of forestry today and my advice would be to get a good background in as much as you can. Be aware that there are some many values held in any forest, so you must be open and willing to listen to the ideas of others in order to make educated and suitable management decisions. Often a decision you make can go against your own beliefs or values as a person, but will be the best management option. Oh yeah, the job market is sh!t right now, so it's the best possible time to be entering school.)

Last edited:
smokechase-

I talk to a lot of people, go on show me trips where we can seldom get folks to walk off the road, and have found that a few people will take in info, and then there's the stubborn ones who have their own agenda.

A lot of us are just sick and tired of this BS. It has been going on for 30 years now. We've seen the effects--our towns have been ruined along with some pretty good people. We've already compromised. Compromised a lot of businesses into bankruptcy prior to the lumber market crash. When does it stop?

Now the idiots, and that is what they are, are protesting the cutting of FUTURE old growth (gotta get that Old Growth buzz word worked in.) There's a lot of them who are just doing it for attention. How will talking to them work? Some will just start yelling if you try to discuss things with them. They have time and money to keep it up, loggers don't. Especially now.

Watch the arrest videos on their website. They are pretty polished in the PR department. They have what you guys would think as their cute chick working as their information dispenser. And they are that well organized to have thought that part out.

Smokechase II, good detective thinking. I wouldn't have thought of the coincidence between that jerk being in Portland and the start up of this stuff.
I'm thinking you are on to something.

There's lots of summer left get ready for a :buttkick:.

There is more than one species of environmentalist

Eastside:

Many of the folks I know in the FS have learned a deep distrust of the extreme fractions.

SlowP said:
"...... go on show me trips where we can seldom get folks to walk off the road, and have found that a few people will take in info, and then there's the stubborn ones who have their own agenda."

============

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, (get it?), and say that the majority of the folks that were involved in the recent protest mentioned in this thread are not open to anyone elses ideas.

They know what is right for the forest. You simply do not.
(Although that I suspect that you do.)

===============

Education is still of great value.

Did anyone else note the "check the media" protocol by an enviro spokesperson regarding this sit?

The more facts we get out the less traction these radicals can get.
Facts like Pondo ecosystems need low intensity fire and with the fuel loads we have now we usually can't get that without mitigating the fuel problems first. Little preaching to the choir is standard in any Eastern Oregon Church.

So by all means go for it on the show me, press tours, school field trips, invitations etc. I was in on a powerpoint that showed objectives to a trail coalation in Bend that was very well appreciated. Only one guys' body posture and lack of questions indicated a waste of his time.

Just don't expect the tree sitting community to convert out of their religion.

Last edited:
Eastside:

Many of the folks I know in the FS have learned a deep distrust of the extreme fractions.

SlowP said:
"...... go on show me trips where we can seldom get folks to walk off the road, and have found that a few people will take in info, and then there's the stubborn ones who have their own agenda."

============

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, (get it?), and say that the majority of the folks that were involved in the recent protest mentioned in this thread are not open to anyone elses ideas.

They know what is right for the forest. You simply do not.
(Although that I suspect that you do.)

===============

Education is still of great value.

Did anyone else note the "check the media" protocol by an enviro spokesperson regarding this sit?

The more facts we get out the less traction these radicals can get.
Facts like Pondo ecosystems need low intensity fire and with the fuel loads we have now we usually can't get that without mitigating the fuel problems first. Little preaching to the choir is standard in any Eastern Oregon Church.

So by all means go for it on the show me, press tours, school field trips, invitations etc. I was in on a powerpoint that showed objectives to a trail coalation in Bend that was very well appreciated. Only one guys' body posture and lack of questions indicated a waste of his time.

Just don't expect the tree sitting community to convert out of their religion.

:agree2::agree2:

smokechase-

You realize, of course, that you're not part of the solution. And that makes you part of the problem. Your degree in forestry just means that you got the minimum passing grade on enough exams. It doesn't mean anything other than that. It's certainly not a guarantee that we'll take you seriously if you start spouting nonsense like you have.

I think you're well intentioned, but you're also inexperienced and poorly informed. A little holier-than-thou, too, but we're used to that from people like you and we'll just ignore it. Your lofty idealism and vision of the world as it should be is a fine thing...it just doesn't work out here in the woods.

This is a logger's place and you and your opinions aren't worth an empty snoose can. Best take your cry-baby act on down the road. Find yourself a bunch of bunny fondlers, have a group hug or something.

I neg-repped your post. You deserved it.

Latest posts

Back