Back up battery?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually the chart for the UPS in your link says it will only run his 336 watt load for approximately 6 minutes assuming (min) stands for minutes.

If the OP is planning on going the route of using a stand alone UPS, and I believe most of us agree here that that is the easiest solution, he should first get a unit and make sure it will power the blower motor without overloading the UPS.....checking both startup and extended run. Once he has that part of the equation solved....then he can run the numbers and see what type and how many deep cycle batteries are needed to get the desired standby time.

Nope, I just looked... that's the exact same UPS I have on the TV.
But my wife informs me I'm a putz... she said the TV wouldn't even run for 5 minutes on it...
(maybe I was drinkin' beer that night?)
I guess I went out and started the generator for the two hours.
And, she said, the UPS didn't like the generator power... it kept beeping, so we moved the TV power cord over to the non-backup side and shut the UPS off.
Somehow I don't remember any of that... but she does. (and I looked, the UPS is shut off)
I guess that's why I keep her... so she can correct me when I'm a putz.

Nope, I just looked... that's the exact same UPS I have on the TV.
But my wife informs me I'm a putz... she said the TV wouldn't even run for 5 minutes on it...
(maybe I was drinkin' beer that night?)
I guess I went out and started the generator for the two hours.
And, she said, the UPS didn't like the generator power... it kept beeping, so we moved the TV power cord over to the non-backup side and shut the UPS off.
Somehow I don't remember any of that... but she does. (and I looked, the UPS is shut off)
I guess that's why I keep her... so she can correct me when I'm a putz.

My 46" Panasonic plasma draws 299w, so with all that other stuff you had, you're probably at least 1000w draw.

Been chewin on the idea of putting my blower on a UPS or battery bank, decided to revive this old thread to see what others have done with theirs and the results. My 1/3 hp belt drive blower has a starting surge of 25A and runs 4.8A at speed, as measured with clamp on meter. I'm not too worried about a real long run time, just enough to cool off the firebox a little if the power went out while the ole girl was on high fire mode. My high starting surge make me think I would need a large (read $$$) UPS or inverter. Anyone have input?

Ab-so-freakin-lutely ..... Suprised how many times during Hurricane Sandy up here how many people were back-feeding the grid !!

I sincerely hope they were charged with some offense, reckless endangerment, etc.

Or a blanket party by the local linesmen...that would be better....

sorry I have no idea about the battery back up but when people buy a generator that will power there household. should have it wired in by an electrician. and if they do wire it in to the fuse box themselves.... be smart enough to turn off the main. that will keep generator power from going into the grid.

Latest posts

Back