Backup Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinnieWV

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. I cut about 2.5 cords a year was looking for a smaller second saw for backup and for cutting up branches. I have a Stihl 036 Pro which is my only saw. Was looking at a smaller Dolmer PS420 or PS460. Are these saws Pro saws? Thanks Vinnie :greenchainsaw:

The Dolmars are good saws, but they are not "pro" saws. They should serve you well though. You really aren't gonna find a current small "pro" saw besides the pro tree trimming saws like the 339xp and ms200. Lastly, professionals use their saws everyday, 2.5 cords isn't a ton of cutting, so the Dolmars will fit your needs well.

No idea on the PS420

Too new, no reviews, and haven't used one. The specs look good on paper but paper doesn't make chips.

That said, (for better or worse), see if you can track down a Dolmar PS401 at the dealer. He may still have some in stock. I've had the opportunity to run one and they are a nice little saw, perfect for your application. They are light, reasonably powered, and reliable.

The local Dolmar dealer that also carries Husky and Jonsered sells a bunch of 401's to homeowners looking for a decent small saw at a price point to compete with the big box bottom end Huskys. I tend to agree with him, the orange Poulans that Husky sells are not much of a saw. He doesn't carry the new Dolmars yet, waiting for feedback before he makes his customers beta testers. He did bring in a pretty good amount of 401's however.

Don't know if this helps or not.

Take Care

Backup saw & for limbing 2 1/2 cord? I used my 028 Stihl for this for 25+ years before she gave up the ghost - More like 10+ cord/year, but it's a nice saw, lots of them out there too. 120.00 or a little more gets you a nice one -

For i backup, IMO, i would go used. you can find a lot of used stuff at great prices that would be a great candidate for a backup saw. $200 or less.

Why not look at another Stihl? Their PRO saws start around $500, but several of their intermediate saws go for less and would hold up for your use.

You might try to find a model that shares some parts with your current saw (most Stihls use at least the same bar nuts and spark plugs) so that you can share or swap bars, parts, etc. in an pinch, and go to one dealer.

Philbert

A good used Stihl 026 (or a new MS260) if you wanted to stick with a Stihl would be an excellent choice also.

Back