Bad bark and strange growth off one tree branch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Rich

Reaction score
I bought a piece of property about ten and one half years ago and there was a very small maple tree on it. I landscaped and put a border around it and some landscape stone.

A few years ago we had a drought and I didn’t notice until the following year that the bark was badly damaged from my oversight and neglect. Yet, the tree grows a little and has leaves each year.

This year a new problem arose and it baffles me. It is a maple tree and of course has pointed maple leaf shaped leaves. The other day I was looking for the nest of some fledgling birds that I saw and noticed a growth on a branch of the maple tree about ten feet off the ground and definitely growing out of one of the maple tree’s branches and it is a somewhat circular bunch of little branches with oval shaped leaves.

See attached pictures…
So, I have three questions.
1. What is the strange growth coming out of the maple tree’s branch?
2. What should I do with the growth?
3. Is there any hope to save the bark on this tree and if so, how?1Maple tree ten years ago.JPG2Bad bark from drought.jpg3Strange growth from maple tree branch.jpg

Latest posts

Back