Bad Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Elm

Ridgerunner
Reaction score
I'm an independent forestry contractor. I work through another outfit on most jobs. We do alot of brush control/removal and timber stand improvement work. We use a Bobcat T770 w several different attachments to do alot of the work.

No, they don't have any idea at this point. The operator said he saw smoke outside the machine. Backed out of the brush maybe 20 ft, looked out the back glass and saw very small flames. He lowered the arms but door wouldnt open because grapple was in the way. He raised the arms up as high as they would go, popped the door open jumped out and apparently a hydraulic line burst as the arms came crashing down. He had fire extinguisher in his hand and used it but said it was too late for that. The hair on his right arm and side of face singed. Said he couldnt believe how fast that machine was engulfed in flames. The machine was about 9 months old. Thank goodness no one hurt.

sorry for the loss. know its easy for me to say at least no one was hurt. but thats the fact. really hope your insurance will help you recoup your loss. good luck and god bless.

Thanks jwade. It was owned by the outfit I am sub contracted to. He has insurance, now just have to find another one to replace it with.

I get a couple customers each year with engine compartment fires. Usually they are using a mulcher attachment. The wood chips make their way into the engine compartment and pile up on the exhaust.

Well at least it ain't yer mochine and noone was hurt... I put out a grease fire on a hood 20000 log loader the other day...I started it whilst notching with the air carbon arc...couldn't pat it out with my hands, once the flames started tickling the oil pan on the engine I broke out a fire extinguisher and put it out. bossman didn't like that I used a fire extinguisher, because the fire marshall can fine them for it not being full, said next time use some dirt or somethin similar...Seeing them flames got me moving purdy dern quick I tell ya

Well at least it ain't yer mochine and noone was hurt... I put out a grease fire on a hood 20000 log loader the other day...I started it whilst notching with the air carbon arc...couldn't pat it out with my hands, once the flames started tickling the oil pan on the engine I broke out a fire extinguisher and put it out. bossman didn't like that I used a fire extinguisher, because the fire marshall can fine them for it not being full, said next time use some dirt or somethin similar...Seeing them flames got me moving purdy dern quick I tell ya
haaa i can tell you from experience fire can be a real motivator

yea you aint kiddin, seein them tall flames tickling the oil pan got me moving faster than I would in a running race...once when I was quite a bit younger and dumber, I lit a paper birch tree up, right next to the garage. flames tall as ever with the garage right there, holy cow, I was running bucket after bucket of water quicker than quick

It's totally chump change to get a fire extinguisher recharged. Just curious 4X does your company only have 1 extinguisher?

Here in Cali several agencies require a chase truck with a minimum of 250 gallons of water during mowing operations. My family owned/owns a fire equipment business so I have always had plenty of fire extinguishers around. On my mowing tractor I had a 2 1/2 gallon water/wetting agent extinguisher and a 20lb ABC dry chemical. My pickup truck has 2 each 2 1/2lb units under the front seats, a 20lb ABC in the back, a 5 gallon backpack pump, and a tool box full of hand tools. I won't bother writing down what I have at home.

Latest posts

Back