Bad Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what im hearing about how fast this sucker burnt up, it is sounding like an hydraulic fluid fed fire.

If you get fired you can get unenjoyment quicker than if you quit... jus say'n

Next time throw dirt at it until it burns to the ground and tell the bastard you where just doing as you where told... now go buy some ****ing fire extinguishers, a 10 pounder is only like $25.

Feel free to quote me on that.

While that may be true, I'd rather work and earn my money. I go crazy when I'm out of work. I forgot to mention the best part, he told me to hide the fire extinguisher so that if the fire marshall came he wouldn't see that there's a used one and fine us

Dude they really are cheap to buy (actually here its cheaper to buy new then to have refilled?), if you plan on doing some more welding anytime ever, I strongly suggest you just go buy your own, if the cheap son of a ***** can't spend the money on a necessity like that, I would have to rethink working for them. Any time there is a welder involved at least one should be handy, especially when welding on greasy nasty equipment, probably surrounded by lots of woody material.

When welding at home I have one those old school water type that are compressed air rechargeable, its saved my house more than a few times already (Hel twice just this week...), not to mention the usual class abc 10-15 pounders laying in wait...

I'm finding that with this company, they won't provide anything. Contact tips, torch tips, extension cords, grinding/torching face shield replacements, air hoses, really big tools, anything. But anyways, I'm just gonna keep that one I used handy and if I need it i'll finish what's left in it. They had me out welding/fabricating on a log truck today outside in a thunderstorm. Bossman told me to throw a mudflap over the welder and i'll be awright...well I was fine...soaking wet but fine...I was always taught not to weld in the rain but heck not here. Part I don't get is that we have a 15 bay shop, and I'm outside in the rain welding. I've spent one day inside the shop so far...but that was awful, cause it was nice and sunny out. I'd rather work outside, unless its raining.

4x4, I know jobs are kinda tight right now, but maybe you should think about looking for a different one. I wouldn't expect my help to stay with me if I treated them like that and I wouldn't work till noon for an azz that treated his men like that!

Well the insurance adjuster gave the burned up machine a lookin' over and cleared it for a pay out. He is convinced the fire started in the middle of the machine, heck of a guess when he wasnt there and whole machine toasted, but hey thats his job. Now Bcat just gotta find us one. Moving the other one that company owns in, in the next few days.

Welp I just got the job, gonna see how it goes, the pay is decent, and they said that after 90 day prohibition period they will do a review and might bump me up to what I was asking. But that's never in my experience happened before...I had another job offer at a small scale construction company, the crew there was awesome, three brothers, a friend, and an old timer. It would be more along the lines of operating, preventative maintenance on equipment, falling trees, land clearing, driving trucks, that kinda stuff. All their equipment is new and top of the line. Problem is, once winter comes around there's no work. I was so close to quitting this job and going there, but this job is year round. Health and benefits and stuff. It was hard enough finding this job took alot of searching, not much work around here. I'm still looking for something better, but this place is a good learning place. The service manager is one heck of a welder, many years of experience with alot of kinds of welding/fabricating. He's the mud flap guy. He tells me to put a mud flap over everything. Hydraulic cylinders that don't want to get slag/splatter on, welding machine, tool box, you name it, mud flaps are his number one go to method of covering stuff. I don't like when the mud flap gets burnt and you get all that stinky rubber burning smoke. When he talks he sounds like he's coming over the cb radio and the way he says stick a mud flap on it gets me laughin everytime

Well the insurance adjuster gave the burned up machine a lookin' over and cleared it for a pay out. He is convinced the fire started in the middle of the machine, heck of a guess when he wasnt there and whole machine toasted, but hey thats his job. Now Bcat just gotta find us one. Moving the other one that company owns in, in the next few days.
Good news! Sorry I kinda hijacked the thread!

I should think that they'd be fined even more for not having an extinguisher. Why hide it? It makes sense that it would be used after you had a fire....is there something I'm missing?

I should think that they'd be fined even more for not having an extinguisher. Why hide it? It makes sense that it would be used after you had a fire....is there something I'm missing?

Maybe the expiration date on the extinguisher was past due? In any event 4x4 American is doing the best he can in a rough situation. I don't envy him.
Most of us have worked for half-assed operators at one time or another when there wasn't any choice and there were mouths to feed. All you can do is try to survive and learn from it.
But a guy that won't provide you with the most basic safety stuff? He'll get you hurt sooner or later. I'd be keeping my eye open for another job.

His theory behind hiding it was that if a fire marshall came and to do an inspection, he would skip over the empty mount on the wall for the extinguisher and not see that we had a used tank and get fined. I just do what I'm told.

Back