Bad deal from fellow member. Opinions welcome

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May the buyer beware.
My theory is that buying a used two cycle engine is taking a chance (these days, buying a NEW one is taking a chance as well). However, that being stated I would have more faith ( a little ) in buying a saw from one of the LONG standing guys on this forum. Honesty and integrity mean something. If I can read the posts made by someone, and get a idea that he is genuine and a stand up guy. You probably can bet that the saw will run right. This does not rule out that sometimes **** happens. Work it out, deal with it. From a faceless seller on eBay... not a chance (unless it was crazy cheap)

Thanks for all the replys folks. Just to be clear the money is not a big deal. Beer money for a weekend is about all it adds up to. Also I'm not holding my breath for the seller to stand by his word and send any money back at this point. If he was going to do that he would have done it months ago when he said he would. I gotta say that I didn't expect this from a member with almost 1000 post and a few year on the forum but live and learn. if you would sell out your good name over a $70 deal your kinda a low life in imho but I'm over it.

So now that brings up to the saw. It is a echo 500vl and is not part of the recall. (I checked it when I first got it). The saw is scary clean. That was the one part of his ad in the trading post that was correct. Makes me wonder if the saw ever saw much use. If so they took good care of it or really cleaned it up. Not sure how the compression could be so low with little use and no scoring (that I could see threw the exhaust port) but I checked my guage on my mac 610 that was sitting there and the guage showed 155. Tried the echo again and again got around 120. When I get some extra time I'm gonna pull the whole saw down and see what I'm working with. I have only gone as far as checking the fule lines and checking for spark and rebuilding the carb on this saw. As nice as it looks I would love to make it run but with new job and kids out of school for the summer time is in short supply.

With what you described that is odd with a low reading like that.
How long has the saw not ran? Do you think it could be possible for the rings to be sticking?

For right now (since your time to work on it is limited) I would bring the piston up to TDC and pour a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinder and let it sit for a few days... go out and pull the saw over a few dozen time. Repeat this process a few times and see what happens.

Huh...........I figured Mule was the seller and didn't like what was being said about him.
Absolutely not. I have no hand in any of this. I simply get grumpy with people who pay for used and broken stuff, get used and broken stuff, and then act as if they were cheated. It gets old.

How long has the saw not ran? Do you think it could be possible for the rings to be sticking?

For right now (since your time to work on it is limited) I would bring the piston up to TDC and pour a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinder and let it sit for a few days... go out and pull the saw over a few dozen time. Repeat this process a few times and see what happens.

As in sticking in the groves in the piston and not making good contact with the walls of the cylinder? Never thought of that. Might be. Will try the oil treatment and see what happens.

As in sticking in the groves in the piston and not making good contact with the walls of the cylinder? Never thought of that. Might be. Will try the oil treatment and see what happens.
Yes, the rings need to float in the ring lands.
I have had good luck with Marvel Mystery Oil and stuck rings before (especially some of the older oils and lots of sitting around)

There is almost certainly something else wrong, most likely carb/lines, but possibly ignition. 120 psi is obviously not optimal, but I would expect it to run at that compression.

That is my suspicion as well.

Absolutely not. I have no hand in any of this. I simply get grumpy with people who pay for used and broken stuff, get used and broken stuff, and then act as if they were cheated. It gets old.

Speaking of "gets old" ;)

Speaking of "gets old" ;)
Look, I know you simply wanted justification and reinforcement for your whining when you solicited "opinions," but I'm simply not a guy who caters to random people's wishes. You got a legitimate gripe, I'll side with you. You want to whimper like a pmsing school girl, I'm going to call you on it. That's the way it is. :)

Did you solicit opinions in your very first post or didn't you? If you had no intention of posting, why did you post? Last time I checked, threads don't compose themselves. Here's a couple of facts for you. You chose to type this post for this forum. You asked for feedback. I gave you feedback. You bought a non running saw and that is exactly what you got. Simple case of buyer's remorse and now you want to come to the forums crying about it.

Let me see, where was that? Ah! Here it is. Check the title:
"Opinions welcome"

Over the years of posting on this and other forums, I could write a book full of posts I've written and not hit the reply button....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Over the years of posting on this and other forums, I could write a book full of posts I've written and not hit the reply button....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

that's funny...my new "filter" is thinking about how it would sound if my 11 y/o had to explain what his daddy did/said to his classmates in school the next day...re-read things you post with that in mind and sometimes the re-write is better then the original :)

Any chance its just not broken in yet? 120 psi should make it run. A tad bit of oil in the cylinder should boost the compression but not necessary IMO. If you still cant get it to run I'd be looking at spark and fuel, no reason it shouldnt run with 120 psi. For $70 I dont think you did too bad. The saw ran when you got it and then you had problems after it sat. Its likely fuel related and not the sellers problem that a saw you bought and used then let sit for 3 months wont start. Similarrly, a broken recoil is no the fault of the seller. That might be explained by poor engineering on the Echo's. Some times you actually get what you paid for. In your case, I think you still got more than what you paid for even with the issues. Your entitled to your opinion thought and its fun to watch some people get wound up. :D

never tried the stuff on a saw but it is awesome stuff in cars the burn oil because of carbon and stuck oil rings. The old Saturn SL series would go from 1qt every 500 miles to 1qt every 3000 with a couple treatments of marvel.

Back