bad dealer break in advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echomeister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just picked up a cs-590. The dealer firmly instructed me to.

Idle the first two minutes.
Then wide open throttle for two minutes.

Everything I hear you guys say here makes that wrong.

I don't think I would ever let a dealer start my saw first, unless i reallllllyyyyy trusted them.

Dealer I know grabs a new saw, poor gas/oil in , starts it, holds its wfo for atleast a minute. Shuts it off and hands it to customer. Seen a couple scorched p/c from doing this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Was watching a guy on YouTube set up a new saw right out of the box and once he got it going (was obviously too smart to read the manual), he left it to idle for a full tank of gas as a proper "break-in" technique. Have you ever heard of anything that outrageous?

Our Echo dealer here is an idiot. It's getting harder to find a good saw shop with someone that has some knowledge about the products they sell. There's a lot of good advise on this board that can help you out. BTW, congrats on your new saw!

You need to get it tuned decent and into a peice of wood quickly and load it good and get it hot.

Idling a new set of rings will prolong seating,ever pull a saw apart and seen brown or black stained below the rings?

You need to get it tuned decent and into a peice of wood quickly and load it good and get it hot.

Idling a new set of rings will prolong seating,ever pull a saw apart and seen brown or black stained below the rings?
This is exactly what I do. I have 2 441s here with pistons that are brown under the rings. 359 I took apart last week was like that also. You can tell the ones that got broke in right.

This is exactly what I do. I have 2 441s here with pistons that are brown under the rings. 359 I took apart last week was like that also. You can tell the ones that got broke in right.

The first few minutes are very important,rings seat very fast if done right.
If there seated properly the piston will be shiny and not stained from blow by .

Was watching a guy on YouTube set up a new saw right out of the box and once he got it going (was obviously too smart to read the manual), he left it to idle for a full tank of gas as a proper "break-in" technique. Have you ever heard of anything that outrageous?

That video was pretty well-distributed on this 'site. Hilarious stuff. Same guy that was cutting a massive log overhead with no PPE.

Pretty much every saw I have taken in and taken apart. Lol.

Surprisingly it might be tuned OK out of the box. It 4 strokes in the wood unless buried in a piece full bar length.

Of course this is only the first tank results. I did follow the 2 minute idle recommendation. After that I started cutting
small stuff working up gradually.

My 2 cents.....I fire up a brand new saw and immediately start cutting wood. I avoid high revs and I cut smaller logs for about the first 10 minutes. Then its business as usual! The only sliding parts in this saw are the piston and rings on the cylinder wall. The heat cycling from cutting small logs is all that is necessary to seat the rings properly. Did this on my MS260 about 15 or so years ago and I am still considering installing a decompression valve because it has such good compression.

Back