Bad Dealer Experiance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, I guess the title explains it. I would like to know if anyone has had a dealer give them a bad time. Here is mine.I wanted a new saw. I had the monies in my pocket. I will not mention the brand but the saw I wanted was a 271 with the 18inch BC.The dealer had one on the shelf.I inquired if being a disabled veteran would get a discount. Sorry but no. OK,anyway I told the dealer that I would take the saw but I requested the RS chain.This saw had the green labeled safety that did not interest me.I was told that I could buy the RS chain, but it would not come with the saw.Dealer started to sprout about insurance and accidents. The whole smear.Anyway I left the dealer and went into Lebanon.I stopped at a Echo dealer.I purchased a discontinued saw (CS 550P) with a larger engine,and a non safety chain came with it.And I did get 10% off the cost.Anyway this is one of my not so pleasant encounters with a dealer.Ken

Not really sure this would qualify as a bad experience. The dealer isn't able to or isn't willing to sell a non-pro saw without a green chain. This doesn't seem to be all that uncommon.

Not an uncommon sales line home owner saw =low kickback chain Take "yellow or non low kickback chin as a separate item on a different till ticket Depends on the dealer no idea about discount

Why try and make the brand vague? RS chain and 271?

It happens sales folks can tend to give lectures. In this case there really is a cc line at 65 or so pertaining to the original kickback rating of the bar/chain.

Local hardware store that carries Stihl routinely excludes Stihl from discount promotions.

How about calling this "Good dealer experience"?
You couldn't get exactly what you wanted from one dealer, so you went to another one. Thats life. We have freedom of choice, as did the dealer that you didn't buy from. You make choices that you deem reasonable, and the first dealer did the same- its just that they didn't coincide. Your reasoning and the first dealer's reasoning are both sound, how about moving on and being happy with the new relationship with the Echo dealer?

We bought 3 362s last year, had to get the green safety chain on them, it's Stihl policy apparently.

Now the dealer did give us loops of the normal chain, but not on the saw. Had to go out the door with green chain.

Good luck on discounts. Would this buying ~ $2000 of saws would get a guy on the "freebie" list... nope. Had to pay for a $10 hat still.

Well, I guess the title explains it. I would like to know if anyone has had a dealer give them a bad time. Here is mine.I wanted a new saw. I had the monies in my pocket. I will not mention the brand but the saw I wanted was a 271 with the 18inch BC.The dealer had one on the shelf.I inquired if being a disabled veteran would get a discount. Sorry but no. OK,anyway I told the dealer that I would take the saw but I requested the RS chain.This saw had the green labeled safety that did not interest me.I was told that I could buy the RS chain, but it would not come with the saw.Dealer started to sprout about insurance and accidents. The whole smear.Anyway I left the dealer and went into Lebanon.I stopped at a Echo dealer.I purchased a discontinued saw (CS 550P) with a larger engine,and a non safety chain came with it.And I did get 10% off the cost.Anyway this is one of my not so pleasant encounters with a dealer.Ken
Agree with you, every Stihl (Ace) dealer near here is clueless. You did the right thing by moving on. Hope your new saw serves you well.

It would have been a better story if the OP bought the 590 timberwolf. I had a brand new CS550p & its huge for 55cc's, its really the size of a 70cc saw. But I was impressed with build quality, little things like walbo felt fuel filters, walbro carb, Japanese bearings etc. No Chinese parts like many of my Stihl that cost 3x the price.

Went to purchase another Echo 490 at a new dealer since mine went out of business. Told him I wanted and 18” b&c. Told me 20” was standard. I could purchase the 18” b&c seperate but no credit for the 20” b&c. Bye.

Doesn't sound like a "bad experience" to me, but more like "bad communication" on the salesmans part. Sounds like he (As a lot of others) just got off to a bad start claming up like a bull when asked about a discount. MAKE THE SALE should be in his brain, but nope most guys are arrogant to homeowners and act as if you are dumb and incapable. He could of appeased you with a small amount off or thrown in a tool or oil or something, explained the chain issue to you and why he couldn't install it and you would of been happy, but NOOOO he blew it. Good luck with your new saw and be careful always.

Latest posts

Back