bad news about this coming winter.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckwood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
got wood? got it stacked and in the dry? If this article is correct, we'll see a repeat of last winter. I've got plenty of firewood, but unfortunately most of it is accessible only via a steep downhill from the house. I may have to move some of it soon where I can be sure I can get at it if need be - just in case we have something worse this time.

http://drsircus.com/world-news/glob...ail&utm_term=0_ea98c09673-0e0d2bb974-10620469

Last winter we had almost no snow and temps all over the board. One week -10, the next 50*. Didn't use much wood, maybe 60% of what I normally do.

Last winter we had almost no snow and temps all over the board. One week -10, the next 50*. Didn't use much wood, maybe 60% of what I normally do.

Yup, for years there has been a big mass of high pressure parked off the West Coast, preventing the jet stream from dipping down and bringing cold air into the PNW. No such luck for all the rest of us. There is a big change coming for the west due to a very strong el nino that is currently taking hold. We'll see what happens.

It's too late for a repeat of last winter up here... last year I'd had a fire going for over a month at this time, this year I can count the number of small morning fires on one hand. September and October have been unusually warm and dry (too dry)... I was outside in a t-shirt yesterday blowing leaves off the lawn. My county has been under an open burning ban for 10 days now because of the unusual warm, dry and windy weather... several surrounding counties have been under one longer than that. We're 5 days way from November and my grass could use a cuttin' again (which I ain't gonna' do... I'm done), and we've only seen two, maybe three morning frosts.

It's October 27, 6:00 AM, and 49° outside... heck, we have cooler mornings than that in July‼ All the predictions for our area have been for a warmer than normal winter... some of them say much, much warmer than normal. With the strong El Nino settin' up the way it is we're likely gonna' stay warmer than normal all winter, and likely slightly below average precipitation. That's just fine with me; cold snowy winters are nothin' but a huge expense. But there is a down side... warm winters often bring less snow and more ice storms... ice storms suck‼

Only time will tell but I don't get to worked up over the predictions. It has been a mild fall for us but have already had a taste of lake effect with 9" of the white stuff. I could pass on the polar vortex air but do enjoy the winter the most. If it stays mild then decided to get nasty cold it could mean heavy lake effect due to the warm lake. Happy snowmobiling. :D

BTW, all my wood is split a and stacked but not up to the house yet because I'm putting an engine in my truck. With a late start in using my wood supply and I'm looking at getting a blaze king, I have no fear. Bring it! Just wait a couple more weeks till I have my wood moved lol.

Yup, for years there has been a big mass of high pressure parked off the West Coast, preventing the jet stream from dipping down and bringing cold air into the PNW. No such luck for all the rest of us. There is a big change coming for the west due to a very strong el nino that is currently taking hold. We'll see what happens.

It isn't good luck. We need a good mountain snowpack to keep our rivers going and our power on. The eastside needs it for irrigation.
Let it dump here, we need it. One weather guru says we'll have 80% of our normal snowpack and that is a major improvement from last winter. For you flatlanders, that's MOUNTAIN snowpack. It melts off in the spring and makes our rivers go.

We did get an inch and a half of rain yesterday here in the hills, and some of the waterfalls turned back on. The high elevations got a few inches of snow, and we'll take it.
Long dreary winters weed out the population.

Wood stashed if needed. Will believe what actually happens. It's great being able to turn up the temps without writing a check for more $$$

It isn't good luck. We need a good mountain snowpack to keep our rivers going and our power on. The eastside needs it for irrigation.
Let it dump here, we need it. One weather guru says we'll have 80% of our normal snowpack and that is a major improvement from last winter. For you flatlanders, that's MOUNTAIN snowpack. It melts off in the spring and makes our rivers go.

We did get an inch and a half of rain yesterday here in the hills, and some of the waterfalls turned back on. The high elevations got a few inches of snow, and we'll take it.
Long dreary winters weed out the population.
do your part...stop drinking water:yes:

I'm not worried. I've only had to burn small scraps and uglies occasionally so far. At this time last year I had burned nearly a full cord of wood and I haven't even touched my stacks yet this year. I haven't even loaded my stove again after the initial startup. One fire has been enough to take the chill out of the house and last several days. At this rate I may have a surplus! Wouldn't that be nice! I had a single fire yesterday evening at 5pm and it is currently still 68 degrees in the house.

I'm not worried. I've only had to burn small scraps and uglies occasionally so far. At this time last year I had burned nearly a full cord of wood and I haven't even touched my stacks yet this year. I haven't even loaded my stove again after the initial startup. One fire has been enough to take the chill out of the house and last several days. At this rate I may have a surplus! Wouldn't that be nice! I had a single fire yesterday evening at 5pm and it is currently still 68 degrees in the house.
We have had less than a dozen frosts so far. Much warmer than normal. Last year our football season ended 2 weeks earlier and I wore my jacket to games for a month. This year we ended last night and I wore a jacket once, just sweatshirts the rest of the year.

The east coast has been getting screwy weather too. Frigid cold for two days straight, then a week with the days in the 50-60s and the evenings dipping into the 30's. Ive been spot-burning, but mostly the propane is carrying the load. Might burn tonight to hopefully thermo-load the house for the overnight cool.

It's October 27, 6:00 AM, and 49° outside... heck, we have cooler mornings than that in July‼ All the predictions for our area have been for a warmer than normal winter... some of them say much, much warmer than normal. With the strong El Nino settin' up the way it is we're likely gonna' stay warmer than normal all winter, and likely slightly below average precipitation. That's just fine with me; cold snowy winters are nothin' but a huge expense. But there is a down side... warm winters often bring less snow and more ice storms... ice storms suck‼

According the 2016 Farmer's Almanac, central US this time will be normal to warm this winter. What you've got is pretty much following the Almanac's predictions:

http://farmersalmanac.com/weather-outlook/2016-winter-forecast/

quoting:

"According to the Farmers’ Almanac, the winter of 2015–2016 is looking like a repeat of last winter, at least in terms of temperatures with unseasonably cold conditions over the Atlantic Seaboard, eastern portions of the Great Lakes, and the lower peninsula of Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, most of the Tennessee and Mississippi Valley, as well as much of the Gulf Coast.

New Englanders will once again experience a very frigid (shivery) winter

Much of the central United States will see near-normal winter temperatures. This includes the western and central Great Lakes, the upper peninsula of Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, and most of the Great Plains.

In these areas, Ms. Nature will mix intervals of unseasonably mild temperatures with occasional shots of bitter cold; average it out and it comes out–average!"

I'm hoping for another cold winter...idealy under 10 degrees, as its nice for keeping the stove going 24/7 at a steady temp, instead of letting it go out when its too warm

Latest posts

Back