Bailey's Catalog

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trappercreek

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just got my 09 Bailey's catalog. Great catalog by the way. The GF always cringes when it comes. Was wondering if anyone else noticed the felling pic on pages six. I won't pretend to have much experience compared to most of the guys on this site but I can't figure out that felling technique at all. Tiny little notch then it appears that the felling cut begins at the rear of the notch and proceeds back through the tree.:dizzy:...
Thoughts? :popcorn:

that is an open face notch. the idea is to keep the log attached to the stump all the way to the ground so it doesnt slide off the back of the stump towards you. also lets you get very close to the ground and utilize all the wood.

he also bore cut the tree. that lets you set the hinge thickness before you release the tree to fall, rather than sawing till it starts to move, then run. it doesnt look like there is a hinge becuase he knicked the corners of it. hardwood will somtimes tear up the side of the log. it can really ruin a vluable log, so he knicked the corners, there is still hinge there. ive even bored out the middle of a hinge to reduce fiber pull on really valuable hardwoods.

what youre seeing is common on the east coast. so i doubt the person pictured is from california, like the person they are quoting.

Without seeing the picture, I imagined that was what was going on. Thanks for covering that one.

Thanks for the info guys. Your right I haven't seen cuts like that on the toothpicks we have up here. I do occasionally plunge cut my felling cut in special instances. Looking at the pic I didn't't realize the face cut was across the tree from where he was at. Thought the "nick" you mentioned was the face cut. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back