Baileys Makita 64 cc saw w/84 cc bigbore upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbowling

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone have this saw with the upgrade and if so how do you like it? Will Baileys install this upgrade for you when purchasing or do you have to do it yourself or take it to a dealer? Seems like the saws get nothing but good reviews, how do they compare to the bigger Husqvarnas?

Anyone have this saw with the upgrade and if so how do you like it? Will Baileys install this upgrade for you when purchasing or do you have to do it yourself or take it to a dealer? Seems like the saws get nothing but good reviews, how do they compare to the bigger Husqvarnas?

Baileys suggest that you wait until your factory warranty runs out before doing the upgrade because the installation will void your warranty, even if the work is done by a licensed repair shop.

On the original question, I do believe Baileys would install the kit but you will get the same advice about the warranty again. The Makita 6401/6402 was a great saw to start with and it only gets better with the BB kit, you will not be disappointed.

Baileys suggest that you wait until your factory warranty runs out before doing the upgrade because the installation will void your warranty, even if the work is done by a licensed repair shop.

On the original question, I do believe Baileys would install the kit but you will get the same advice about the warranty again. The Makita 6401/6402 was a great saw to start with and it only gets better with the BB kit, you will not be disappointed.

All the shops around here want to keep your saw for months even to do simple stuff and I dont trust myself to do the upgrade, if I would have to sh. back to Baileys then would have 60-70 bucks more just in shipping..have only had one warranty repair on all the saws Ive ever had and it was a oil pump and on my 455 Rancher....went out 4 days before warranty expired.

I just did the 79cc p/c upgade to my Makita 6401. This was my first rebuild and it was not that bad. I received a lot of help from the folks on this board.

Just completed a 6401 BB upgrade last week. Bought the 84cc P&C from Baileys and switch took about an hour or so. I used the gasket but wonder if I should have gone gasketless. Saw runs great though I've less than a tank through it.
Bob

I would do it in a heartbeat. I love my 8401. It weighs alittle less than my 064 and 046 and still sports a 24" bar where the others have a 20". Its tough to bog in wood and so far (about a year) has been trouble free.

I think the BB kit and 7900 cylinder are about equal. Some of the guys on here did timed cuts and they pretty much ran straight across the board. I think the biggest diff. is the price.

I switched out a 6401 to a 7900 using the Mahle OEM top end. Followed the instructional threads on here, took my time and, except for spending some time getting the hang of installing the C-clips, everything went great. Saw runs great. Believe me when I say that if I can do it anyone with some modest mechanical ability can do the job.

quality

is there any quality difference between the two?Is the 7900 oem better material quality than the 84cc bb kit is,or is it realy all just price issue,cause i'd rather spend a few more dollars and get better quality.

is there any quality difference between the two?Is the 7900 oem better material quality than the 84cc bb kit is,or is it realy all just price issue,cause i'd rather spend a few more dollars and get better quality.

The OEM Mahle kit is better quality (Mahle-made in Italy, NWP-made in Taiwan). However, I have heard that the quality of the NWP kit from Bailey's has improved and they have a good warranty. I was in the same boat you are in and decided to go with the Mahle kit. I am very impressed with the quality thus far.

Also, if you order the Mahle p/c kit from Edgeandengine.com, they give you the base gasket for free. And, since you live in KY, you will get it quicker than Bailey's. Nothing against Bailey's, I just hate how long it takes to get something from them.

i have four of these- one factory 7900, two 6401-7901 converts, and one 6401-BB convert. i can't tell any difference in them. the OEM cylinders are def better. the first BB kit was returned for quality issues. i bought the BB about 7 months ago, so it is possible that they are higher quality, though i haven't heard anyone praising their quality vs OEM in the way that the 066BB earns high marks in terms of quality vs OEM. if i will ever buy another of these saws, it will receive the OEM cylinder. the extra $60 is money well spent.

note- for anyone who does use the BB, please check the squish. mine was in excess of 0.040" and i have seen others report similar measurements. i used some gasket paper to bring the squish down.

Last edited:
so the 7900 oem will be just as strong as the 84cc bb kit,and better quality.Dont want to sound like a broken record i just want whats going to work best and last the longest.

by my unofficial seat-of-the-pants stopwatch, they are even. i have never put them side-by-side. maybe i can get some vid soon of the two. others have done so and that was pretty much the finding.

side by side comparison would be great.It'll be a little while before i order one so im doing my homework now so that i get whats best.:chainsaw:

Back