ban on selling owb's in ohio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NSMaple1

NSMaple1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Talked with my dealer today and he said that epa is projected to approved the ban on traditional stoves this week. Then it has to actually become a law. But he said as of right now the manufacturer is saying may is the last month for traditional stoves if everything goes as epa plans. He did say everybody is grandfathered if you already have one, and you can still buy and sell the ones in operation. You just cannot buy a new one. I assume we are going to see a lot more people building the traditional ones rather than relying on a manufacturer to produce an epa stove if this happens. The large cost increase for an epa model will surely drive the demand down on them.

Mine is indoors not out, but I changed my dirty old school boiler for a gasifier 2.5 yes ago and would not change back for anything. And EPA had nothing to do with it.

pennsywoodburnr

pennsywoodburnr

supreme scrounger
What he ^^^ said

"Water doesn't make a good fuel. "

People who burn green wood and smoke out the neighborhood make all of us burners look bad (fireplace/heater/stove/furnace/OWB, doesn't matter) and gives ammo to the wood heat restricters and banners folks.

Plus, you don't get what you want as much, which is *heat*.

I am as green as it gets, and I like burning wood, but I burn dry wood, it is the logical plus responsible thing to do.

Yep, seen that one plenty of times myself. I travel the backroads before I hit the highway on my way into work and you wouldn't believe the heavy grey smoke some of these stacks are kicking out. Not one row of seasoned wood amongst them. Almost like they went out into the woods two hours earlier, dropped the tree, split it and threw it right in. Not to toot my own horn here, but with the seasoned up wood I have, you've got to stare hard at the chimney cap to even tell I'm burning inside. The lady that delivers our mail drove up our driveway the other day because my wife was expecting a box. I was already outside stacking up the wood rack, so I walked down to meet her. She said: you know, if you need cinders the post office has them available for free. I declined and told her I burned with wood so I had plenty of my own ashes to scatter on the driveway if need be. I told her to take a look at my chimney because the fireplace was running. So she looked, and after a second or two she saw the heat mirage from the cap. She goes: Oh okay, nevermind then.

goosegunner

goosegunner

ArboristSite Operative
I weighed a piece of Cherry that was cut from a log that had been felled 6 months earlier.

The round was 13" diameter and 17" long= 69lbs

After drying in my boiler room and split with internal moisture of 16% the total of all pieces weighed 46lbs.

That is almost 3 gallons of moisture weight for one round! Now just think about how many of those 13" X 17" rounds people can stuff in those nice large fireboxes in there OWB.

gg

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
Most of the barns we store in have open sides so that air movement is possible. Granted when you stack 80 cord in one spot the center is going to take a while but we tend to use the oldest first. Problem is we fight racoons ALL the time. They seem to think an 8 ft high wood pile is the perfect spot to take a dump. Most of our wood is deads or blow overs. We do clean fencerows and such though but not too often anymore.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a reasonable moisture meter to save me the searching? I seem to recall someone saying Menards carried a decent one. I'm interested too to see what is what. I do know I found no difference from wood on the outside of the stack to what was closer to the center. Again, we store for quite a few years till it is used.
i bought mine at lowes for $20. i think it works.:crazy2: