Bandit 2100 4x4 with CAT 34hp diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumper63

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is anyone using the Bandit 2100 4x4 grinder with the 34hp CAT diesel? That engine is rated at 71 ft/lbs torque! How would it compare to the Vermeer 252with the 25hp Kohler? Any overall impressions with the Bandit 2100? Reliable? Maintenance issues? Do you like the engine slide cutter wheel engagement? I'm used to the electric clutch of the Vermeer. Is it easy to disengage in a hurry? Am looking to upgrade but still need the lightweight/size of the Bandit 2100/Rayco 1635/Vermeer 252. What do you guys think?

I just ordered a Carlton with the Kubota. The Kubota makes 66 ft-lbs vs 39 on my current Kohler. It definately cuts much better. The little Cat is probably similar. The Carlton doesn't use an electric clutch either. I don't know if I would trust them on these higher power motors.

My 4 x 4 Kubota was $23,000 with the Sandvik and a hydraulic scrape blade.

I should have it in a few weeks!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Thanks Bigstumps! When did Carlton start to offer 4x4 and the Kubota diesel on the 4012? Which Kubota engine is it? Is the 4x4 driven with hydraulic motors on each wheel or by axles? Can you disengage the cutter wheel quickly when you hit something and things start rockin? Any info on the web yet on these options? Does Carlton offer remote controls on this model?
Could you tell me what swayed you towards the Carlton over the Bandit? I'm not sure of the price for a similarly equipped 2100, but sounds like you're getting alot of machine for 23k.
Want to do all the homework from the guys who are using these things.

The Electric Clutch from a 252 is short lived in that torque range. I run a 1480cc Lombardini 8LD740-2 air cooled diesel on my 252 which develops 60 Ft Lbs. of torque and I eat a clutch in about six months (Approx. 250 hours). I am also considering the Carlton unit as I have 2,500 hours on my Vemeer and it's getting mighty sloppy. The Kubota engine Model # is the 1105-T-E 1200cc 3 cylinder Liquid cooled Turbo.

Last edited:
Appreciate the info plyscamp. How do the bearings/belts hold up on your 252 with the Lombardini diesel? Have you been running with that engine long? Was it difficult to make the engine swap? Is it air or liquid cooled? I've got 1800+ hours on mine, still running fine on original Kohler 25hp, but getting a little sloppy, not too bad yet, but just looking for a faster cutting 4x4 machine. How much difference did the diesel on the 252 make as far cutting time? What type of teeth are you running? I've only replaced the clutch once so far since new, so probably getting close to another one.

The CAT engine on the Bandit weighs over 300 lbs, solid cast iron, puts it over 1800 lbs I think. But really ought to rip. The Carlton sounds interesting too. Have you looked at the Bandit 2100 w/ the CAT 34hp option yet? Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

I live in SC, so the factory guy came down and demoed it and a track machine. The track had the wireless on it. They do offer this on the 4012 but by the time you ad the remote and the wireless it gets pretty expensive seeing how it is not going to be my primary grinder.

The Carlton rep told me the Lombardini makes 52 ft lbs while the Kubota makes 66. I don't know the exact engine 1105 Turbo 3 Cylinder - I'll find some info on the net.

The 4WD climbed like crazy. I'm not sure how long they have had it but it doesn't show in their catalog or on the net.

They demoed this to me about 4 -5 weeks ago, I tried to call and get a deal on the demo machine with had 500 hours but they already sold it. I should have mine in couple weeks.

1500 hours on your Kohler - you've done well. When it comes time replace the motor - don't even attempt to rebuild it!!

Bigstumps, I'm going to call the rep out here and see if he has any on this side of the world to demo. You're probably right about the wireless, though this would be my primary grinder. Never had a wireless machine. I do mostly residential, backyards, parking strips, etc. is the wireless pretty easy to maneuver in tight spaces, versus the levers, like when jockeying around shrubs, gates, etc? Do you know the overall weight of your new machine with the Kubota diesel? Did you get the tongue extension? Do you find it worth the expense vs. just moving whole machine forward each time?

Comments from all appreciated.

Stumper63 Did the diesel conversion about 3 years ago. It took about a week to convert, all of the driveline on the clutch side had to be moved out about 4 inches. Built a new jackshaft 1.5" Dia. 4 inches longer and 3 pillowblock bearings. Had to make a new motor mount & changed the final drive belts to 3 Ea. 5/8" belts. The bearings hold up with no problem.

We run Multi Tip wheels & teeth on our 252's. The diesel unit will out cutt my Kohler about 3 to 1. Its not about Horsepower it's all about Torque. The Lombardini only has 28 H.P. but 60 Foot Pounds of torque and uses about 1/3less fuel than the Kohler.

You can't get the tongue when you get the 4 X 4 from Carlton. If you don't get the 4 X 4 you get the tongue. I never use the tongue anyway.

The wireless I ran was on the track. It was nice - good control and almost fun ( I said almost!) Just couldn't see putting it on the little one.

When I replace the tow behind I will definately have a wireless!!!

Latest posts

Back