bandit 2100 or older rg-85

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys looking for some advice on stump grinders. I have a Vermeer 352 now that is ok. Looking for something with better travel speed. I looked at a 2008 bandit 2100 with a 40 hp perkins diesel with a supposed 234 hrs but I just don't believe it. It has been painted but does seem to run good. It has the 700 series green teeth on it. Also there is a 2002 Rayco rg-85 that im not sure about hours and is only 2 wheel drive. I have heard these units grind awesome but really need 4x4 as they seem to get stuck. both are at the $21,000. Its a lot of money so I need to make a good decision or just wait and keep looking. thanks for any advice jason

Really depends on what most of your work is. If its mostly residential where a typical job is a couple of stumps the bandit is smaller, lighter and easier on customers lawns. If you are doing a lot of stumps or big ones the RG85 will certainly out grind the bandit. Can't tell you what the condition means but trust your gut if there's something you don't like about either one. Every used grinder I've seen has been pretty beat up. I think that's just the nature of them and how they are used. Ive bought several used ones and had to stick money into them right away.

I honestly have jobs around here that are the whole spectrum. I have a 10ft with the flair stump coming up but have had jobs with 6 or 8 smaller stumps but spread over the property. I wish I could afford a new larger stump grinder but the money just isn't around here and it really tapers off in the summer. Spring and fall busier

sounds like a smaller more economical machine might be a better choice. Big machines grind faster but you have to keep them busy to justify them. If you are working just to make payments on an expensive machine it's not worth the effort.

Is there a happy medium grinder. I started with a 252 and now have the 352. The 352 grinds nice but much slower travel speed. I really don't know what grinder I should look for.

Rayco RG50's and Carlton 4400's are both pretty solid machines for the money.

Latest posts

Back