Bandit 2550 stump grinder wheel came off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treecutterjr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with this? I guess the shaft that comes out of the hydraulic motor snapped. Grinder wheel is totally detached.
I don't know if the whole hydraulic motor needs to be replaced or if I can just get a new shaft.
c2f2c85b47e816c1777101b8085be020.jpg
fc54714886b00247d7c0ed725db3c8ad.jpg
456fcb03a737c3ec6672ecd2cf70236e.jpg

The rusty area prob means its been partially cracked for a while. At 200 hrs it's hopefully a warranty repair.

In Aus. it would prob be cheaper to buy a new one than cover parts and labour, price it out and see I guess.

Hope you get a better run with it in the future, I like the concept of no belts and bearings.

You are aware that this is not a fluke right? They've had a few problems with that setup even offering a retrofit to keep it from coming off the machine completely...too bad they cant make it not happen at all! Call bandit or your dealer is what id do! The gearboxes used on some of vermeers stumpers are rebuildable and parts are ordered individually. Good luck.

Yeah, I checked around the Internet and saw that there were issues with that happening before. Talked to my dealer this morning. They saidwarranty should cover it. Hope all goes well.

That's great news that bandit is going to take care of it. It would make sense for them to inform owners of their machines that may have fixes for problems like this. It would cost them less to fix and you could plan your jobs around repairs.

That's true. And now I wonder if this will be a recurring problem or a one time thing. I've only got 198 hrs on my unit. Will this be happening every 200 hours? How many others had it happened to? It just makes you think.

Keep the teeth sharp. Less vibration and especially pounding on the stump.i don't know if they can rectify that setup. Lot of forces pounding on that shaft.

Holy *, can't imagine what may happen when the head is up and the wheel starts running away into someones house or worse, bandit should hurry.

You are aware that this is not a fluke right? They've had a few problems with that setup even offering a retrofit to keep it from coming off the machine completely...too bad they cant make it not happen at all! Call bandit or your dealer is what id do! The gearboxes used on some of vermeers stumpers are rebuildable and parts are ordered individually. Good luck.
Just got away from new 2015 Bandit 2250R. RUN! They have it back now. Complete junk. Got 2013 2250XP to replace. Not any better, 52 hrs and hydro leak. Next thing i expect is my wheel to fly off and take out someones property. Love Bandit chippers but i will NEVER drop coin on another stumper! Carlton seems to be strong can anyone recommend a durable stumper?

I've had mine since about this time last year. It has been doing well up until this incident. I don't want to throw bandit straight under the bus right away.

Just got away from new 2015 Bandit 2250R. RUN! They have it back now. Complete junk. Got 2013 2250XP to replace. Not any better, 52 hrs and hydro leak. Next thing i expect is my wheel to fly off and take out someones property. Love Bandit chippers but i will NEVER drop coin on another stumper! Carlton seems to be strong can anyone recommend a durable stumper?
What was wrong with the 2015 / 2250R ?

I'm not bad mouthing bandit because I love my 200 chipper but I mentioned to my buddy about upgrading to a larger grinder and said the same thing.
The co he worked for had nothing but problems with their new bandit grinder. Said the axel snapped twice in a row.

He said "you should look into a carlton, solid machine".

Not impressed with the Bandit grinder. Bearing issues, hydraulic leaks at the control block, broken hydraulic cylinder....and warranty appears to be pretty much useless. Machine is less than a year old, purchased brand new. Really hurt my opinion of bandit.

Back