Bandit 65xp infeed roller troubles?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FChenard

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have bought a 2010 65xp last year and since then I've passed through 6 of the pivot bearings that attach the infeef roller cage to the sides of the chipper input. I was wondering if any of you guys been through those problems?

No. >1500 hours on original bearings on mine. Grease often.
What replacement bearings have you been using?

No. >1500 hours on original bearings on mine. Grease often.
What replacement bearings have you been using?
I have been using a chinese brand lastly. even when i bought the one from bandit the bearing cages wouldn't be tough enough. I have now welded ''stoppers'' that will prevent the roller to go higher than the actual opening that leads to the disc which is about 6-7 inches. i saw that my roller was able to go as high as 8-9 inches and when that happens the cage round sides gets pressed against the 2" squares there is on each sides. I think it might be puting to much pressure on the bearings we'll see i how it does. Ill had some pictures today.

I have been using a chinese brand lastly. even when i bought the one from bandit the bearing cages wouldn't be tough enough. I have now welded ''stoppers'' that will prevent the roller to go higher than the actual opening that leads to the disc which is about 6-7 inches. i saw that my roller was able to go as high as 8-9 inches and when that happens the cage round sides gets pressed against the 2" squares there is on each sides. I think it might be puting to much pressure on the bearings we'll see i how it does. Ill had some pictures today.
Well too much pressure on them will do it . Sounds like you are on the right track.

The roller lifts high so you can get in there and sharpen the teeth, on the roller, from the top.
Perhaps you should find a heavier duty bearing that will fit. You would do this by taking all the measurements and then searching online.
Personally I have never had to replace those bearings so this is odd for sure.
I assume you are not pressure washing your machine frequently?

The roller lifts high so you can get in there and sharpen the teeth, on the roller, from the top.
Perhaps you should find a heavier duty bearing that will fit. You would do this by taking all the measurements and then searching online.
Personally I have never had to replace those bearings so this is odd for sure.
I assume you are not pressure washing your machine frequently?
I wash it twice a year with a pressure washer then make sure everything is well greased before using it again. I tried the most heavy duty bearings i could find down here but also broke... If my blockers doesn't do the job i might mount the rollet cage on greasable bushings instead of bearings.

I wash it twice a year with a pressure washer then make sure everything is well greased before using it again. I tried the most heavy duty bearings i could find down here but also broke... If my blockers doesn't do the job i might mount the rollet cage on greasable bushings instead of bearings.
Pics ?

I have one of these chippers. Great little chipper.
Take a look at the welds on the pins that the bearings pivot on. Look in the "hole" area just behind the main disc bearing and you'll see the pivot pins and their welds. Because of the placement, Bandit is only able to weld the top of those pins to the main housing. Mine had developed cracks. Very small and hardly noticeable, but the cracks opened up as the roller assembly rotated up, causing the assembly to shift. (One of the pins was no longer attached). This may be the possible cause of your bearing failure. If not, it is still an area on these small machines that should be inspected. When mine cracked, we just built up weld to an almost "gusset" like state. That has since fixed the issue.

image.jpeg these are the blockers i have welded on both side. At that height it's the same height of the actual chipping capacity.image.jpeg the bearing i keep changing.

No I dont have picture of the broken bearing. there is just the side facing backward that breaks everytime.

I was able to dig up these pictures from my old computer.
Here is the pin I'm refering to. The paint was ground off just prior to welding. As we lifted the feed roller assembly, the crack became larger.
right pin 2.jpg rifht pin small crack.jpg right pin small crack 2.jpg right bin bigger crack.jpg right pin biggest crack.jpg

It looks like the reinforced those pins. mine have welds on top and on bottom. They are clean and not cracked.image.jpeg

Back