bandsaw flaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
r.man

r.man

ArboristSite Lurker
beautiful blue machine

nice pics gene, i look forward to more. could you explain the pully on the tire: is it factory or cobble? secondly does the carriage have four bearings per side running on the rails, two on top two at each side? thanks for the help.

ROOTSXROCKS

ROOTSXROCKS

Addicted to ArboristSite
This is a few pictures of Ooolder Brother and my 13 hp. mill that will cut a 24 in log 16 ft. long, the frame is 6 in. x 2 in. rectangular tubing 20 ft long.
We also build a 6.5 hp. mill that cuts 18 in. and a mill that will cut 30 in.
I have more pictures of different parts , that I need to sort out , that I will post later. I also have a 18 in. mill in the shop that will be finished in a few days that I can make pictures of that will be more organized.
Grampa

ps I tried to share my band mill pictures and help in building some time ago but my computer had problems, have a new one now, hope to do bettor.
I would like to apologize to those that I disappointed.View attachment 123269

View attachment 123270

View attachment 123271

View attachment 123272

View attachment 123273
Now lets see some video of it in action! That really looks cool Gives me Hope I might too someday have one.

mtngun

mtngun

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have more pictures of different parts , that I need to sort out , that I will post later.
You can use the IMG tag (the yellow icon with the mountain) to imbed the pics in your post. But you are doing great, don't worry. I enjoy seeing you twist on bandsaw design.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

gene1605

gene1605

ArboristSite Operative
v belt

yes it has 4 sealed 1624 bearings 2 on each side & 4 flanged sealed bearings on the top

the v belt rides on the tire, a v pulley would be marginally better, keep in mind, when Ooolder brother was a young man and I a boy most all belts were flat, and mostly leather. The belt will only come off when the belt is overly loose
In order to build and sell bandmills, we have had to compete with many good little mills. We have encouraged constrive criticsm and thru that have came up with a simple, hardy trouble free little mill.
Our children, grandchildren, frends or neighbors is not interested in building bandsaw mills, Ooolder brother's is haveing trouble with seeing to weld and I am getting lazy, we decided to help with information,anyone who wants to build one.
I encourage anyone who wants to build one, before you start to call me on the phone, I can explane building one better .

Old Hilly

Old Hilly

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks for the photos Gene, they are a great help. From the look of your mill the drive belt runs behind the band, so how much clearance is there between the V-belt and the blade when the mill is working? Is there much chance of the blade moving back far enough to cut into the drive belt? I did read, somewhere, that someone was concerned that if the blade broke then the v-belt would also be ruined. It might also be an excuse to go home for a change of underwear, if you get my meaning.
R-man, thanks for the tip on the DIY bandmill site. It seems strange that I can buy a new ride-on mower for the same sort of money that a replacement motor would cost me. This is based on a 20HP v-twin B&S motor with electric start. When you think about all the other bits you get with the mower that could be transferred to the mill........now I look at mowers in a completely diferent way!
Dennis.

gene1605

gene1605

ArboristSite Operative
v belt

with the v belt idler you can adjust the belt where you like.
the guide bearings limit how far back the band rides.
with rubber tires and lo hp. band breakage is not a problem

Old Hilly

Old Hilly

ArboristSite Operative
Actually Gene, I didn't think there would be much of a problem but this bloke was really serious about the potential problem. Perhaps it was a case of "sour grapes"?:(
That motor looks like it has a centrifugal clutch rather than a belt-tensioner to engage drive to the blade. Do these give any trouble under normal conditions?
Thanks again,
Dennis.

qweesdraw

qweesdraw

ArboristSite Operative
Chinezze Honda clones seem to work!
500 cords + on my WEEFOOYOU ENGINE Hard to beat for the price.
The more pic's to help us build would be helpful!
Mark

r.man

r.man

ArboristSite Lurker
sideways thinking

dennis. i think the lawn tractor idea is inspired. like buying a job lot at an auction or yard sale. all that extra stuff for free. i wonder what other things would apply to a sawmill?

jdrum

jdrum

ArboristSite Lurker
thank you gene. your pics. just changed the direction of some of the components of my mill. i am glad that i am still in the design stage.

i had thought of running the belt on the band wheel earlier, but got caught up in all the pics with all the shafts and pulleys. and forgot one of my first rules for construction, KISS (keep it simple stupid ) but design it so you can add the bells a whistles later, when materials and time allow.

by the looks of your pics, did you use automotive or trailer bolt on spindles and hubs. i think some of the small cars used a straight rear axle with bolt on spindles. (junk yard source) and bearings easy to get (parts store).

jim

r.man

r.man

ArboristSite Lurker
missed something

gene. i was just reviewing your pictures for about the fourth time and realized that there is a lever upright next to the lift crank. what does it do? and while on the subject of mysteries i can see a piece of box steel welded horizontally near the stationary blade guide and cannot fathom it's purpose from any of the shots.
sorry to be a pest but every answer i get seems to bring on new questions. i would also like to say that your mill is the nicest looking of all the mills i've seen, amateur and professional. i think it's the combination of simplicity and strength. compared to yours others look either flimsy, overly complicated or both. my father used to say " something else to break " and the older i get the less i like " bells and whistles ".
thanks again for your time and willingness to share.

r.man

r.man

ArboristSite Lurker
jdrum

was just typing my last post and hadn't read yours. i was'nt commenting on your bells and whistles comment unless i'm getting psychic in my old age. the real problem is that you probably type much faster than i do.

gene1605

gene1605

ArboristSite Operative
spindles

Jim I used 1 in. spindles [ with 2 in. cut off ] with hubs from any trailer supply, with 12 in wheels with 22 in diamenter tires.
Any spindle, wheel tire over 16 in will work, I but weld the spindel to a 3in x 6 in x 1/2 in plate.
I will post pictures of indivigle parts soon that is made with the kiss prinsible,
and can give exact measurements

jdrum

jdrum

ArboristSite Lurker
r.man

no problem i think the same as you, that is why i have my KISS rule. but i need to be reminded of it from time to time.
i think that of metal is a push handle?

jim

jdrum

jdrum

ArboristSite Lurker
my typing isnt a whole lot better. i failed typing about 50 years ago and it hasn't improved a bit. most of my long posts get done in wordpad and c/p to the forum.

i like your design and there several concepts i plan to use. money or lack of dictates many of my design decisions. i have wanted to build a mill for many years, and was forced into retirement last year so now i have the time, but not the $$$. but i'm a good scrounger, allready got a house trailer frame, and have figured out how to get about 90% of the steel i need out of it. that will eat up a lot of sawall blades.
i have always built things with all the planes in my head but this has been to big a project. so i downloaded google sketchup 7, and started making drawings, in a week or so i plane to start a thread with some of my drawings to get some opinions.

im gona sut up now!
jim

gene1605

gene1605

ArboristSite Operative
lever near crank

If you pull the lever it lifts one side of the band frame about 1 3/4 in. to cut bevel siding.
the piece that you see by the stationary guide is 1 1/4 sq tube 5 in. long by 109 /1000 wall thickness that on a 36 in mill that would house the adjustible band guide it would be the same as the other side.
Will try to post other pics. soon

r.man

r.man

ArboristSite Lurker
thanks again gene

after i thought about that lever awhile i guessed it was some kind of offset but the box steel baffled me. does this mean you build your basic carriages standard every time and modify when you choose the size?
i just read that jim is using a house trailer frame for materials, did you build yours out of new steel or did you scrounge some things?
ps it's about -30 F outside tonight with a full moon on fresh white snow. i could probably read outside if i had a large print book and my spectacles on.
if the aussie is reading thats -35 C.

Latest posts