Bar and Chain for xp 550

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a 550 and 346 both ported with 20" bars. I am running 3/8" narrow kerf on the 550 and regular 3/8" on the 346. The 550 runs the narrow kerf well both before and after modding as it is a less aggressive chain profile and is able to keep good chain speed even with the bar buried. Although I believe the 550 has a wider power band than the 346, I feel the 346 falls out of the power band quickly if you are not paying attention with 3/8" chain when the bar i buried. I think for the wood you have and the saw you have, I would run .325" chain on a 20" bar.

I run a 550 and 346 both ported with 20" bars. I am running 3/8" narrow kerf on the 550 and regular 3/8" on the 346. The 550 runs the narrow kerf well both before and after modding as it is a less aggressive chain profile and is able to keep good chain speed even with the bar buried. Although I believe the 550 has a wider power band than the 346, I feel the 346 falls out of the power band quickly if you are not paying attention with 3/8" chain when the bar i buried. I think for the wood you have and the saw you have, I would run .325" chain on a 20" bar.
Is the 3/8 narrow kerf low profile?

There's nothing wrong with .325.

I would recommend sticking with semi-chisel chain. As soon as the point of full chisel chain is dulled, it needs sharpened. If you're willing to keep up with the sharpening, full chisel will cut faster. Either way, never run a dull chain. You can burn up a good saw.

NEVER let the chain hit dirt. It only takes once to dull it.

Thanks you everyone! Good info I can use all the tips and reassurance or opinions in my plan and equipment that I can get.

I have ordered some files and stuff. I am going to start off bringing the dull chain in for sharpening to set it straight...then just keep up with it. Hopefully I didn't tax my saw too much when I was running it with the dull chain. She was smokin' and I didn't think that was all great but didn't know any better. Didn't realize the sharpening frequency was so high.

I thought my technique was way wrong cause my cuts were really choppy and my saw was cutting in circles. Did some reading on it last night and learned it was probably because of the dull chain. I'll need a new saw by the time I figure out how to work one of these. When I ran my saw for the first time I smoked the clutch having the brake on and revving it up. Having fun though...and being safe. Just no mistakes that cost be more than the saw.

I figured cutting on a pile was the normal way to go about it. I better put some planning in place to set up a more controlled work environment. Do those cant hooks like this work well? https://www.amazon.com/Woodchuck-To...3whno3oj97wh_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=lawn-garden

Thanks you everyone! Good info I can use all the tips and reassurance or opinions in my plan and equipment that I can get.

I have ordered some files and stuff. I am going to start off bringing the dull chain in for sharpening to set it straight...then just keep up with it. Hopefully I didn't tax my saw too much when I was running it with the dull chain. She was smokin' and I didn't think that was all great but didn't know any better. Didn't realize the sharpening frequency was so high.

I thought my technique was way wrong cause my cuts were really choppy and my saw was cutting in circles. Did some reading on it last night and learned it was probably because of the dull chain. I'll need a new saw by the time I figure out how to work one of these. When I ran my saw for the first time I smoked the clutch having the brake on and revving it up. Having fun though...and being safe. Just no mistakes that cost be more than the saw.

I figured cutting on a pile was the normal way to go about it. I better put some planning in place to set up a more controlled work environment. Do those cant hooks like this work well? https://www.amazon.com/Woodchuck-To...3whno3oj97wh_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=lawn-garden
Yes they do. I have a Woodchuck dual with the jack attachment. Works very well.
984eb07e079fe574aee2f71f640a8dbf.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I ordered one of them up. Pretty impressive based on the videos and reviews. Anything gadget or tool that gets all 5 stars in reviews is something I need. It obviously makes life so much easier that guys are willing to go out of their way to post a review. Treestuff.com not only had the best price, I got a free carabiner....and a 5.85 gift card for choosing slow shipping...which shipped this morning! 2 day shipping was also free!

I have several massive, massive stumps that were removed and are sitting in a pile. Do people usually just haul these off or is there a decent way to break them down. I figure most folks would leave them in a grind them down but.....

I didn't read every reply in this thread but here's my $0.02.

I'd put a 18" b&c on your 550xp for your lighter stuff. Then get a 365xt, open up the transfer slots which will make it a 372xt for a lot less money. Put a 24' b&c on that and get on with life. :yes:

NYH1.

Latest posts

Back