Bar and chain oil... Am I the only one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used the search but didn't find what I wanted to know. I have a bunch of half empty quarts of sae 30, 10-30, etc. sittin in the garage and I was wondering if I could use it for bar oil without anything screwing up. Also, what about unused cooking oil?

Used the search but didn't find what I wanted to know. I have a bunch of half empty quarts of sae 30, 10-30, etc. sittin in the garage and I was wondering if I could use it for bar oil without anything screwing up. Also, what about unused cooking oil?
I dont see any reason why not but would probably mix it at a 50 50 ratio with the real thing because you want some tacifiyer in there.

There is known carcinogens in used motor oil. Very bad for the environment, and bad for you. I'm no enviro-freak, but I do care about it. Its just like going around dumping used motoroil everywhere. It makes a mess of the saws, and it doesn't lube very well at all.

I soak all my new saws in Bar oil overnight so they don't wear out.The small amount that I spill when filling up you'd never notice.

I buy Poulan bar oil when its on sale, so for me bar oil isnt all that expensive. I usually can get it for $5-$7 a gallon.
I dont spill it very often. Poulan bar oil is fairly thick, so it pours slowly. The only times I really spill it are when I overfill the bar oil reservour and some of it seeps out when I tighten the cap.

Stihl oil is $ 15.00 a gallon now. I've been cheating a little & mixin it 50 / 50 with the $ 8.00 per gallon bar oil from Home Depot.

Does everyone really go through that much bar oil to have to mix 50/50 with "cheap stuff"? Or use motor oil (new or used)?

Then again... they're your saws. I don't give a rip... 'cuz I'm pretty finicky when it comes to fluids in my saws...

Gary

Stihl's 3 jug case is around $45.00 after tax or $15.00 + individually.

Jonsered/Husky?Efco is running $13.00+ individually or by the case.

Box stores $8.00-15.00 each.

Seen a lot more of the "homemade special blends" in oilers this year. I like the water/soap/used oil mix the best so far. It made a special kind of mess out of things.

Best bang for the buck is the ability to sharpen chains and pick clean wood.

Second best is clean bean squeezings. $3.25 a gallon.

Ive nevr used anything but Stihl bar oil 10-15 bucks (was $8) whoopie doo. I take my $700 saw $100 bar and multiple chains out cut a chord of wood value 100-200 bucks use a quart or so of oil that reduced the value of my work 2-3 dollars and my oiler bar and chain had the right lube for the job. Spend 4 hours cuttin trees down for lot clearing 250 bucks - oil used I only pocket 245 bucks and take the wife out to Red Robin for lunch 30 bucks. If I had only used that cheap oil i would have bean so much better off.:dizzy:

Ive nevr used anything but Stihl bar oil 10-15 bucks (was $8) whoopie doo. I take my $700 saw $100 bar and multiple chains out cut a chord of wood value 100-200 bucks use a quart or so of oil that reduced the value of my work 2-3 dollars and my oiler bar and chain had the right lube for the job. Spend 4 hours cuttin trees down for lot clearing 250 bucks - oil used I only pocket 245 bucks and take the wife out to Red Robin for lunch 30 bucks. If I had only used that cheap oil i would have bean so much better off.:dizzy:

Kind of puts things in perspective, :agree2:

Or how about $1500 big saws with $250-350 bars. I don't want to gamble.

So for dino I stick to Stihl as well. But I think when I was last at Mdsns (a few weeks ago) it was around $8/gal by the case. I just mention it because I figure you might get that way now and again.

I used to overfill and spill occasionally, but all it takes is slowing down and paying attention a little to prevent that (mostly getting the light right in the hole).

interesting reading since i have also been running WMO (waste motor oil) in my saw for the past ten years and never really knew better. it hasent caused any problems for me but i can see how it can be to thin to properly lub the bar.

i do filter my oil though to get most of the crap out (i know not all). i am not a big time cutter though running about 3-4 cords a year and some side stuff. i figured it was going into a harsh environment and if it didnt take out the soft babbet bearings in my truck a hardened saw bar should be ok.

i am real interested in running veggie though for the non toxic environmental and spilling on me factor.

Or how about $1500 big saws with $250-350 bars. I don't want to gamble.

So for dino I stick to Stihl as well. But I think when I was last at Mdsns (a few weeks ago) it was around $8/gal by the case. I just mention it because I figure you might get that way now and again.

I used to overfill and spill occasionally, but all it takes is slowing down and paying attention a little to prevent that (mostly getting the light right in the hole).
Yep next week prolly pic up a case. Son taking son in law down there hes never been there. Hes a class "C" cutter for the forest service. I havent actually spent more than $8 yet but I buy it buy the case and have plenty. Used those numbers for the guys that say its gone way up.

I just get the gallon jugs and transfer em to quart bottles...Alot easier to pour frm...

Back