bar and chain oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for argument's sake, I would like to point out that many hydraulic oils are biodegradable. The company I work for uses straight 30w in all of our dozers, loaders, and excavators because it doesn't break down like hydro oil. Just food for thought.

If the guy wasnt a member since 2012 I would have suspected he was another BA personality.

relax Jr if someone does not agree with you they are Bush Ape automatically? :D Must be my European wit you have a hard time understanding.

relax Jr if someone does not agree with you they are Bush Ape automatically? :D Must be my European wit you have a hard time understanding.
No. If a guy who normally doesn't post much on the firewood forum comes in with a big attitude and jumps on regular contributors that is where the flags come up.

Where were you with you righteousness a few weeks ago when guys were arguing about spraying the entire underbody of their car with oil to prevent rust?

No. If a guy who normally doesn't post much on the firewood forum comes in with a big attitude and jumps on regular contributors that is where the flags come up.

Where were you with you righteousness a few weeks ago when guys were arguing about spraying the entire underbody of their car with oil to prevent rust?

Surely you do not need me to come along and tell you that coating the underbody with oil is a bad thing? Common sense would dictate that for you. Also I do not think it is big attitude, it is common sense. :D

Also in the chainsaw forum I have also stated that using those types of oils is a bad idea, IIRC some had said they thought I was daft but most agreed that bar and chain oil is cheap enough and has less impact on the environment so why not use it?

Also Orscheln has there own house brand in a blue bottle for about 1/2 the price of Echo. Any thoughts or experience?

I bought a gallon of this the last time it was on sale for $5.99......or maybe that's the regular price. It's what shows online. Country Tuff is the brand name at my Orscheln, probably the same at yours. I haven't been able to use it yet though since my current gallon of Stihl oil is still half full. Will report back later.

img11419069.jpg

Surely you do not need me to come along and tell you that coating the underbody with oil is a bad thing? Common sense would dictate that for you. Also I do not think it is big attitude, it is common sense. :D

Also in the chainsaw forum I have also stated that using those types of oils is a bad idea, IIRC some had said they thought I was daft but most agreed that bar and chain oil is cheap enough and has less impact on the environment so why not use it?
I wasn't the one doing it....

Again, you came in here looking for a fight and seem surprised when you've been called on it. Common sense should tell you that, Jr.

I wasn't the one doing it....

Again, you came in here looking for a fight and seem surprised when you've been called on it. Common sense should tell you that, Jr.

You have made my point exactly. Good day to you sir. :D

Relax jr. What did I say that was factually incorrect? Why are you so against doing something that is good for the environment? Why are so you against doing something that is good for you? Breathing in that atomized oil can be quite toxic. As I said No EPA, No tree hugging. Common sense says using those oils is not a good thing. Some members have also stated they have gone to Canola based oils for their saws with no ill effects. They save money and also leave a smaller footprint on the environment.

Rockjock - I don't have a dog in this fight, but I would like to know how using canola oil in your saw is good for you. I think a quick search might say otherwise, if you'd care to see both sides of the coin. I'm not saying that bar oil or any other oil will vaporize into sunshine and rainbows, but claiming that canola oil is actually good for you and the environment might be a bit of stretch.

I bought a gallon of this the last time it was on sale for $5.99......or maybe that's the regular price. It's what shows online. Country Tuff is the brand name at my Orscheln, probably the same at yours. I haven't been able to use it yet though since my current gallon of Stihl oil is still half full. Will report back later.

View attachment 400143

Thanks,
That's what I was referring to. Let me know if you think it's tacky enough. Do you have any long bar saws? I'd hate to smoke a bar over a $5 savings in oil.

Rockjock - I don't have a dog in this fight, but I would like to know how using canola oil in your saw is good for you. I think a quick search might say otherwise, if you'd care to see both sides of the coin. I'm not saying that bar oil or any other oil will vaporize into sunshine and rainbows, but claiming that canola oil is actually good for you and the environment might be a bit of stretch.

Well I can ingest canola oil with no ill effects. The chip wagon cooks with it and we eat it. It is put on our salads. When my mare is colicky I give her a cup or so and it does not harm her. My point was against using automotive oil, ATF gear oil ,Hydraulic oils . Good for the environment, how about better, less impact. I think you will agree that if you were to ingest a few teaspoons of the oils mentioned you would be quite sick. ;)

Well up until 2 yrs. ago I was a faller for 30 yrs. and my 1st choice for best overall chain oil is definitely used motor oil. I can't speak for anything over an 18in. bar though. I had the option of using the so called real chain oil but didn't. Anytime I had to use the factory stuff I could immediately notice a lot more chain/bar noise,rattling chattering. I also noticed after I started using so called waste oil that bar life increased dramatically.Believe me you run a saw day in and day out you notice every little change ,noise etc. The 2 other guys on our crew noticed the same thing and one of them is a member here as well. My reasoning is what higher quality oil is there than good qual. motor oil,isn't
it designed for high temps.? Flame away but the proof is in the pudding and I've prob. did as much falling ,running chainsaws as most on here. Keeping in mind I said 18in. bar max is all I can speak to.

Well I can ingest canola oil with no ill effects. The chip wagon cooks with it and we eat it. It is put on our salads. When my mare is colicky I give her a cup or so and it does not harm her. My point was against using automotive oil, ATF gear oil ,Hydraulic oils . Good for the environment, how about better, less impact. I think you will agree that if you were to ingest a few teaspoons of the oils mentioned you would be quite sick. ;)

I'm not disagreeing with regular, out of the bottle canola being BETTER than petroleum-based oils from a health effects standpoint , but as you mentioned before... you aren't pouring "atomized" oils on your salad. Once you heat up ANY oil, the toxicity changes significantly. Especially if it is heated to/above its smoke point, which isn't uncommon in a chainsaw application (think huge rounds of ugly, dirty wood). I will re-iterate my question for you... How is inhaling the fumes from "atomized" canola oil good for you?

Thanks,
That's what I was referring to. Let me know if you think it's tacky enough. Do you have any long bar saws? I'd hate to smoke a bar over a $5 savings in oil.
My longest bar is 25". That saw is currently empty though, so maybe I'll just open the bottle and try it out.

I'm not disagreeing with regular, out of the bottle canola being BETTER than petroleum-based oils from a health effects standpoint , but as you mentioned before... you aren't pouring "atomized" oils on your salad. Once you heat up ANY oil, the toxicity changes significantly. Especially if it is heated to/above its smoke point, which isn't uncommon in a chainsaw application (think huge rounds of ugly, dirty wood). I will re-iterate my question for you... How is inhaling the fumes from "atomized" canola oil good for you?

I would think that heating the oil to the boiling point and then dipping that fish, chicken , potatoes, etc in it then eating it would be a pretty good indication that it is safe to ingest. And seeing that flash point is somewhere around 600F and the boiling point/smoke point is around 400-475 F and I am not seeing my bar smoking, it is a fairly safe bet to surmise that it is safe.

It's not a question of canola oil be good for you - I actually suspect that breathing atomized canola oil isn't good for you at all, but far better than atomized petroleum oils. And it should break down far easier in the environment as well. This isn't that complicated to figure out, nor should it be controversial.

I would think that heating the oil to the boiling point and then dipping that fish, chicken , potatoes, etc in it then eating it would be a pretty good indication that it is safe to ingest. And seeing that flash point is somewhere around 600F and the boiling point/smoke point is around 400-475 F and I am not seeing my bar smoking, it is a fairly safe bet to surmise that it is safe.

Flash point is irrelevant, and I find it hard to believe you've never seen smoke from heating up your chain/bar while cutting at some point. Either way, your argument still doesn't acknowledge your initial statements about breathing vaporized canola oil being good for you, so I'm going to leave you to argue with yourself under the bridge.

It's not a question of canola oil be good for you - I actually suspect that breathing atomized canola oil isn't good for you at all, but far better than atomized petroleum oils. And it should break down far easier in the environment as well. This isn't that complicated to figure out, nor should it be controversial.

No no I get your point , I am not able to find the study that was done on this topic in Germany some time ago. I do recall that the Rapeseed ( canola ) stayed " intact " while being used in the purpose of a chainsaw lubricant so it did not break down. But I agree much better than ATF and other toxic oils.

Back