Bar and Chain Oil!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SchweddyWood

SchweddyWood

ArboristSite Lurker
At $28+ per gallon I'd be shopping to. I haven't priced at my dealer recently as a gallon lasts me a while.

Yeah, it's really gotten out of control. Even online, the cheapest I've found a gal of the platinum Stihl bar oil is like $32. It's crazy. The "woodcutter" stuff is $40+ per gallon.

Bwildered

Bwildered

Tree Freak
On average I go through about 10 litres of oil a month for bar lube & I have never ever bought bar oil, these days it's the cheapest engine oil I can find which is around $2 a litre & I get really good life from my bars & chains, I'd reckon the savings alone would pay for a new saw easily over the life of the saw.
Thanski

jr27236

jr27236

Addicted to ArboristSite
I like the Poulan B&C at Walmart. $9.50 gal now, but Ive seen it a lot lower at times. Tacky and lubes well. Husky branded b&c is thin and better for the colder months in my opinion and more money.

SchweddyWood

SchweddyWood

ArboristSite Lurker
I like the Poulan B&C at Walmart. $9.50 gal now, but Ive seen it a lot lower at times. Tacky and lubes well. Husky branded b&c is thin and better for the colder months in my opinion and more money.

I agree on the Husky. We get cold ass winters here in MI, and Husky is good, thin stuff best used under 40 degrees F. Doesn't do the trick for me in our hot, humid summer months.

Brian72

Brian72

ArboristSite Guru
What about Echo oil.

I was thinking a low viscosity would flow more and possibly lube better but guys around here seem to prefer higher viscosity and more sticky.
It's always worked well for me. Never had a problem with flow in any conditions. In my opinion, a little tack will lube better rather than just shoot it off. Helps keep the oil in the bar groove.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Canyon Angler

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Must be a 5 gallon pail.

On sale, it's less than $5 per gallon at TSC (I run it in my old backhoe).

Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice

Addicted to ArboristSite
There's nothing wrong with used ATF or hydraulic oil if it's filtered, it hasn't been through the combustion side of an engine & picked up all the nasties. It's reusing a waste product which is a form of recycling & good for the environment.
Thanski
A statement that I can agree with.. I like using the ATF and hydraulic oil.. Is a bit cleaner. And never thought about combustion side of things . I'll be more picky.. BUT!!. I do my part also by composting bark with all my other organics, and the local dog shelters get my noodle shavings, delivered never the less. If ya see the ranch you can realize, I hate to throw anything out or away.. $30 a gallon?. Make me want to start drinking, or stop!

Deleted member 117362
D

Deleted member 117362

I just noticed you're in Roscommon. I used to cut up there near Higgins, and owned a cabin off of West Higgins Lake Dr. Where's your dealer at, and what are they charging for a gallon of Stihl B&C oil?
Both local Stihl dealers could not find their butts with both hands. I don't buy Stihl products. There you go, no BS.

Latest posts