bar and chain oil??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazz001

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello forum!!

Help!!!!

Hubby has 2 saws and both are having the same issues.

Jonsered 670 and Johnsered 2095. since both saws are high chain speed we are having trouble keeping oil on the chain. It is flinging right off. I have tried (Egads) poulan oil from walmart, the local husky dealer sold me some and that was just as bad.

We used to use Quaker State Dura-tac but I can't get it any more and since then have had nothing but problems with bars and chains.

We cut about 12-15 cords a year now and dearest hubby is getting very very irrate with his saws perfomance.

So I am asking the guys here (sorry gals if there are any) do you have any suggestions on a hi tack oil that holds up under high chain speed.

The Poulan/Walmart bar oil is going to fling right off your bar tip. I had some and gave it away to someone who really did not care and wanted the free oil. I use either Stihl or Echo, seem to work the same to me, can't tell the difference between them [and maybe there isn't, might be the same stuff for all I know except around here the Echo gallon is about three bucks less than the Stihl].

In addition to using a decent name brand chain oil, some chain have either holes in the tang or a groove to keep the oil where its needed.

Well guys, thanks for the info!!

And as for the bar, oregon power match plus and running a full chisel chain. When we cut firewood we do as much as possible in a weekend. Of course that is with buying triaxle load of logs.

I will pick up some Echo brand chain oil and try it as this weekends project is cutting up a 100 yr old sugar maple that fell into the pond.

Husky or Stihl chain oil, marked Summer! If that don't work, turn the oiler down.

Stihl Bar and ChainOil!

All I use is Stihl bar and chain oil. I have tried many types but have had the best luck with Stihl, I will always use the Stihl brand. It does'nt hurt that I have an account at the dealer either. When I stop by I'll buy 4-6 gallons of it at a crack, along with there 2 cycle oil.
Early this spring ,well late March it was fairly warm and went to the Stihl dealer and they had no summer blend, so I went to Menard's and they had some Quaker State dura whatever, The stuff was thinner than Stihl's winter blend. I almost think it was motor oil with a different label. They should stick to making motor oil and leave the bar and chain oil to chainsaw manufactures. It might work for some but not for me. And "WOW" that motion lotion from Baileys is $15.95 a gallon and $6.95 to ship it that comes out to about $23.00 a gallon. I get Stihl oil for $8.00 a gallon. I just might stick to Stihl. Thanks any ways for the offer.

i gave her a good tac bar oil. not good price oil, it is not as high in price as some would have you to thank. Gas Mixes and Lubrication Products

Motion Lotion bar oil
Item No: 17095 $6.49

1 Gallon Motion Lotion bar oil

but im just a fl boy

SteveH said:
The Poulan/Walmart bar oil is going to fling right off your bar tip. I had some and gave it away to someone who really did not care and wanted the free oil. I use either Stihl or Echo, seem to work the same to me, can't tell the difference between them [and maybe there isn't, might be the same stuff for all I know except around here the Echo gallon is about three bucks less than the Stihl].

Yeah, I like the stuff in the tall bottle, but the new stuff in the short bottle is crap. Use it in the aux oiler, where it works okay since it is behind the tip and doesn't fling. Real thin though. Maybe okay for winter use, but summer is not good.

Mark

Maybe you're going about this the wrong way. Rather than "tackier", try "thinner", as in vegetable oil (corn, etc). Can't hurt to try some, and it may be what you're looking for....and good for the flora and fauna too. Available at any grocery store.

You can always go back to the tacky stuff if it doesn't work out.

coveredinsap said:
Maybe you're going about this the wrong way. Rather than "tackier", try "thinner", as in vegetable oil (corn, etc). Can't hurt to try some, and it may be what you're looking for....and good for the flora and fauna too. Available at any grocery store.

You can always go back to the tacky stuff if it doesn't work out.

Sure great advise so long as you know that the vege oil can turn into a nice resin in your saw, chain and bar.. Let it "dry" for a few months... There are some real nice Bio bar oils, but none of them are straight cooking oil.

An why would you suggest a thinner oil ??? It's already flying off.

Lakeside53 said:
Sure great advise so long as you know that the vege oil can turn into a nice resin in your saw, chain and bar.. Let it "dry" for a few months... There are some real nice Bio bar oils, but none of them are straight cooking oil.
Husqvarna Veg-Oil works great on my saws, and it doesn't turn into resin when the saw has a "rest" either.
Another veggie oil that I tried isn't nearly as good.

tazz001 said:
... and running a full chisel chain. ....
Make that Stihl chain, and your troubles may be over, or at least reduced.
The Stihl chains have a channel in the drivers, that help put the oil where it really counts, and less are flung off.

Last edited:
I would be more concerned if the bar oil did Not fling off. When Bucking big rounds,I look and wait to see some oil before I start my next cut.

SawTroll said:
Husqvarna Veg-Oil works great on my saws, and it doesn't turn into resin when the saw has a "rest" either.

Try finding any kind of that stuff around here....it's like hen's teeth.

Please don't use cooking veggie oil in your saw, as stated by enough people on this site you will get resin build up. your bar and chain does get hot.
There are plenty of Sponsers on this site that will be happy to sell the proper bar and chain lube for your needs.

Bailey's has 2 versions of the motion lotion. One is biodegradable and the other does not seem to be. The biodegradable stuff is the expensive stuff at $15.95 a gallon or $57.95 for a case of 4. The regular Motion Lotion that I use is $6.49 for a gallon and $22.95 for a case of 4. It seems to work well. Of course you have to pay shipping so that should figure into your cost as well. I am usually purchasing something else so the shipping does not add a whole lot to the order.

If you go to their site here you can even download a techinical PDF on the Motion Lotion http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/139?mv_session_id=NAZ2YhBN&product_sku=17095 and if you go here you can get a technical PDF on the biodegradable Motion Lotion http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/5285?mv_session_id=NAZ2YhBN&product_sku=17071

I checked with my local Stihl dealer and he told me that the Stihl Bar and chain oil is $5.95 a gallon so it is less then the Motion Lotion and it is only a mile away so this is a cost savings over the Motion Lotion from Bailey's. You can go to here and find your local Stihl dealer. Http://www.stihldealer.net/locator/

I hope this is helpful.

Robpm

SawTroll said:

I have used the Stihl Bio-oil version when cutting around water, and it also has additives for tack and to stop the drying and resin forming problems. Any Stihl dealer can get it for you. Pricey - about $19 for 5 liters (comes in a 5 liter jug), but that's list and it might be cheaper.

Last edited:
coveredinsap said:
Try finding any kind of that stuff around here....it's like hen's teeth.

Ask your Stihl dealer to order it for you. It's in the dealer catalog and stocked at the regional warehouses. Your Husky Dealer should be able to get the Husky version also.

Latest posts

Back