Bar & chain for 038AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubicon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm looking for a new bar & chain for a Stihl 038AV. I'm looking strictly at Oregon since I can get an inside deal. I want a bar of 18". Any suggestions for the bar and chain?

Stick with 3/8 pitch. The chain of choice from Oregon is usually 72LG. Also LP or CL are not bad choices, but LG is a little easier to file. That saw should rip with an 18" bar.

Thanks for the reply. I now have a chance to get a brand new 20" blade for 20$. Will an 038 be strong enough to handle the longer blade?

Thanks guys. I bought the 20" bar along with 72LP chain. Should I leave the chain stock or file down the rakers? If so how low should I go and what do I use as a gage. Any chain tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Keep those rakers somewhere near the factory spec, maybe lowered .030, and don`t let this difference decrease too much either. There is merit in what Walt Galer preaches about lowering rakers. Use a Carlton File-O-PLate or Husky Ryttermall. These jigs lower the rakers acording to the tooth they are working with. Russ

Back