Bar & Chain selection for Husqvarna 550 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to believe 9 years has past since I started running the 550 xp. It has been and still is one heck of a 50cc saw and has been stone reliable typically cutting 6 to 20 cord of firewood per year. I thought I'd share some things I have learned over the years of running her and the chains I trend towards.
Saw:
The Muffer Mod that is well documented is the only modification to the 550xp. The muffler has a bone stock appearance - including the spark arrestor screen, so nothing crazy. This is a great mod when done properly and nothing slows the saw down running an 18" bar.

Bar and Chain
I started out running the Woodland Pro NK bar and their 20NK chain. It is a solid combination for the money and I think I bought 10 boxes back when I made the switch to NK chain.

I ran and still have some Oregon 95TXL (NK) and that stuff runs nice, holds up well and held an edge much better than the 20NK - BUT - it was a bugger to file. Steel is very hard. I ran this on the Woodland NK bar.

Then I played with running some standard kerf chain on the Woodland NK bar. The Husqvarna H22 seemed to work well, but I fell in love with the Husqvarna H23 Full Chisel even though the only bar I had was the Woodland NK bar. When the Woodland NK bar finally gave up the ghost, I went with the 582075372 Husqvarna X-Force Pro Laminate bar and absolutely loved this bar. (I don't think it's availiable in the US anymore)

I stayed with the stock pin and never tried the 8 even though I had thought about it several times. With the muffer mod - I suspect it could pull it with no problem.

The Husqvarna H23 Chisel chain running on the Husqvarna X-Force Pro Laminate bar has been a great setup for me. The NK bar in some way seems to be a good option even though the H23 is a non-NK chain as it allows me to toss on a worn down NK chain when I get to the logs on the bottom laying in the dirt. (If I don't have the little Stihl MS230 with carbide chain with me)

I typically run 3 tanks and then touch up the H23 using the Stihl 2 in 1 tool (makes for lazy filing) and then drop the rakers a touch more. (5 more swipes with the flat file if the flat file touches). The steel is semi-hard but files ok. It cuts quick and holds an edge well, yet never bogs the saw in full 18" cuts in Oak. (It would prior to the muffler mod). I wouldn't recommend lowering the rakers like I do as the saw is agressive and feeds itself into the wood.

I do plan to try out the SP33G and would really like to get my hands on some Stihl 23RS Pro, but the Shihl chain just confuses me to no end. I have seen comments on the 23RS Pro being the best, yet try and find a loop. As far as a bar, I will probally go with a Husqvarna X-Force Bar 597649672 or Oregon Speedcut TXLB when the 582075372 Husqvarna X-Force Pro Laminate bar wears out. It's no longer listed or I would get it again. I still may try an 8 pin someday.

Of my current 3 saws - Stihl 064 - Husky 550XP - Stihl MS230, The 550XP with H23 is my go-to for bucking firewood.

Been trolling this forum a long time learing from all of you - I thought I should share where I am at with my setup with what I do.
If anyone has anything to add... I welcome anything you wish to share.
Thanks all for the great advice and discussions over the years

Is that the Oregon 20 LPX or LGX you like? - its my understanding that the Oregon 20LPX and Husqvarn H23 are the same chain.
If I could find it - Stihl 23RS Pro is the NK i'd liike to try, but I am pretty happy with what I am using now if I never locate any here in the states.

I still have a couple loops of Oregon 95TXL and the new for me - Husqvarna SP33G will see it's way on the 550 once the current H23 gets tired to give it a go.

The nitch I have found I like is - matching a chain/saw to me. A saw that is light and nimble enough for me to handle all day with a chain that cuts well, is slightly agressive and can be filed without runing the file, yet can hold up easily for 3 tanks. The 550 filled that on the saw side and the H23 on the chain side. It is just an easy chain for me to sharpen - yet cuts well and holds an edger long enough to satisfy me in clean oak.

I use a Sthil MS230 with a Stihl Pico Duro 3 carbide to cut the stuff on the bottom laying in the dirt the logs were stacked on as well as fence line work. Why such a small saw with carbide cutter - I can't tell you how many times on the fence line I have wasted a steel chain from hitting old wire or find myself needing to dip the nose in the dirt - plus the little Sthil is easy to lug around with all the fence tools.

This allows me to relax, file the chain, sip on some coffee and be thankful for another day in the great outdoors. I still enjoy cutting and plan to do a lot of bucking firewood in my golden years to help keep me in shape while hopefully earning some spending money and helping others out.

I don't run the 064 much at all - but it is there if needed. My son-in-law thows a 500i around... and that thing mean business. Too much saw for me. For fun - how cool would it be to take the 064 and fully restore it - maybe sleeper port it - and then have some fun putting it up against his i.... ahh, but then, I'd probally have more in it than he paid for his i.
Ok - best not start this thread down a different path... LOL

Three tanks of fuel between file resharpening for logs delivered. We must be getting tree service or similar or logging operation with a forwarder vs a skidder.

The chain choices are different now than when this thread started. There are economy import ones as well.

Dremel has a kit that attaches to one of their rotary tools for chain saw and supposedly lawn mower blades. It can be set up with an assembly choice and a shim choice. Put it on the intermediate choice for this size chain. It goes fast and do all the cutters from the same side. For those filing problem chains.

Did the woodland pro NK bar get discarded due to sprocket, wear at nose, wear in groove, drive links bottoming out, wear from chain coming off the drive sprocket or all of these?

The woodland pro NK bar held up well and gave me plenty of hours of use. The WP bar seen a ton of chain run on it, I would say 10 boxes of 20NK, 4 boxes of Husqvarna H23, 2 boxes of Husqvarna H22 , a box Carlton K1NK, a box Oregon 95TXL and a couple others I can't remember.

The .050 had worn and the chain was getting sloppy - lots of movement as well as the nose sprocket. The depth of the slot was still ok and I kept the edge filed smooth. I wouldn't be afraid to use another one at all. The X-Force Pro Laminate bar I just wanted to try and found I like it. It may have been because it was new, but it seemed to plunge cut better and feels good on the saw. (The WP bar felt good on the saw too).

Archer Blue Max is a knock-off for the H23 I understand, but I haven't tried it. I figured it would save me less than a buck per cord in the grand schememe of things. What are some good imports worthing trying? I have not really considered them.

Back