Bar/chain suggestions? and a tip from a greenhorn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
Reaction score
I just bought another Jonsered 49sp for myself. It needs a new bar/chain and I want to set it up with an 18 inch combo. I was looking in the Bailey's catalog at an Oregon powermatch plus. I am open to ALL suggestions. I want a fairly aggressive chain. the saw has a rim sproket on it which will get a new rim so pitch is open. I'm sure most of you know a lot more than I do but here's a tip: take the pour top off the maple syrup bottle, clean it up and it fits right on the one quart bar oil bottles, I've never spilled a drop this way.

Howdy Greenhorn,

You got to be some kind of genius. I never thought of this one. I'll bet other tops like Heinz ketchup would work also, although any descent chainsaw person is bound to love Maple syrup. A hint like this has value you would not believe, since one of the major causes of antivibe mount failure, is the chain oil getting spilled all over the saw.

Regards,
Walt Galer

I second that, great idea!! I'll try that, I always manage to spill some on my saws so that should do the trick.

As for you bar/chain I run an 18" spocket tip bar and 3/8" pitch full chisel chain that is .050 guage. Get a good bar windsor, oregon, etc that has a replaceable sprocket tip. And some good full chisel 3/8" Ithink thats all you'll need .404 is probably too much chain for that small of bar. As for guage I'll bet a jonsy takes .58. Now I'm no expert but I've had good luck with this combo.

72LG is .050 gauge 3/8, 73LG is .058 gauge.
If you decide to use .325 pitch go for 34LG or 21LP
.404 is too big for that saw
If you want Stihl chain 33RS is .050 gauge 3/8

I like the syrup lid idea. I got the syrup, but I thinks its the Aunt Jemima that has the spout here in Canada.
Heres some of the real tree candy that was made at St. Josephs Island Ontario. Have you seen this before Kevin? I thought it was Whiskey when I first opened the package.
John

Look`n good John.
Get the dragon lady to whip up some french toast and wet it down real good with that stuff.

OMC makes a flexi-spout for filling oil-injected two-stroke motors, that fits perfectly on a gallon jug of bar oil. They cost about $1.40/ea.

Gee, I never thought of telling anyone about using the tops off 80-90 wt gear oil bottles !! I just thought everybody used those or syrup caps.Oh well , can't take the credit here !!! :D

Latest posts

Back