Bar for 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just got an 084, and it has a 25" bar for it. I want to get a bigger bar, atleast 42", preferably bigger. My question, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a bar for a good deal? Also, does it make any difference whether the bar is sprocket for hardnose for millling. I found a 42" hardnose carlton bar for 79.00 new. Should I pick that up? I'm really tapped for funds since i bought the 084, so i'm looking for absolute best deal. Ohhh, This is to be used with a granberg mill.
Thanks

I've got a feeling a bar in the 42" range for a big mount stihl is going to cost a few $$$. I usually pick up bars/chains thru Baileys (see link at the top of the screen), they have prices about as good as anybody and their a sponser.

How's the saw running, hope you've had a chance to use it a little. All the talk about the big saws got me looking a little and I saw the auction for the 084 you picked up, congrat's.

I've got a new 25" stihl hardnose for a big mount. Kinda got me thinking I might need to find a powerhead for it, hate to see good parts laying around

--------
BTW, I think I'd stay with a sprocket nose for milling on the long bars. Also might want to read some of the threads on aux oilers. Those wide cuts require a fair amount of bar lube.

hard nose vs sprocket

What is the functional difference between hardnose and sprocket bars? The 42" carlton hardnose is appealing for 79.00. Also, does anyone have a used bar that they might wanna sell big mount stihl?

How are you liking your 084 so far Juice? I had a little time today so I put on the bar and chain on mine and did a little firewood cutting. Didnt take long for thay hoss to get heavy. Once I get the new rim sprocket it will be going on the mill. This thing is truly a monster and I cant wait to do some milling with it. I know that e-baying can sometimes be risky but it looks like I lucked out this time as this thing looks and cuts like a brand new saw.

I ordered a 41" canon superbar for my 084 about a month ago just got it yesterday. They are supposed to be super high quality. Cost me 169.00. Baileys has this same bar sold under woodsman pro name for 159.00. They are expensive but are supposed to outlast other bars by 2 or 3x. We'll see I be using it mostly for milling.

What is the functional difference between hardnose and sprocket bars? The 42" carlton hardnose is appealing for 79.00. Also, does anyone have a used bar that they might wanna sell big mount stihl?

IMO you need a sprocket or roller nose on a long bar for milling. On my 44" and especially on my 72" bars, the chain has to be almost too tight when I start the cut to keep it from being too loose when I finish. Thrust me, you don't want a chain flying off a long bar. My saw chaps saved my butt more than once when I was on the steep side of the long bar leaning curve.

084 bar

I second what Stihladdict says, the Canon superbars are real good quality, I use them all the time, if you are going to use a hard nose for milling I would not recommend this as that type of nose reallt sapps power out of the saw.

The Cannon bars can also be converted to run on a much lower sized chain
IE, I run 50 and 60 inchers with 325 pitch, which make them cut real quick and gives a good finish to the boards when milling.

An 084 is good for a 50 inch bar, with the oil turned right up to max.

One god thing about Cannon bars is, they are real stiff and do not bend much when used on their side, a really top bar for all users.

DDS.

I second what Stihladdict says, the Canon superbars are real good quality, I use them all the time, if you are going to use a hard nose for milling I would not recommend this as that type of nose reallt sapps power out of the saw.

The Cannon bars can also be converted to run on a much lower sized chain
IE, I run 50 and 60 inchers with 325 pitch, which make them cut real quick and gives a good finish to the boards when milling.

An 084 is good for a 50 inch bar, with the oil turned right up to max.

One god thing about Cannon bars is, they are real stiff and do not bend much when used on their side, a really top bar for all users.

DDS.

I run 3/8 on everything but I'm thinking of going to .325 for milling.I would like your thoughts on this,pros or cons. I mill with 066, 075,and an 084. Will the .325 chain hold up on a 36 inch bar on this saws. Thank you, Jim

I run 3/8 on all of mine as well. I converted my large mount 084 bars to 3/8. Search 404 to 3/8 conversion in this section. I run a 32" that way.

325 chain

I have found using 325 chain, that it is best used with a gentle take up on the throttle, gently does it until you are at full tilt, it is the rapid acceleration that stretches a chain.
Also the heavy handed person pushing the bar and chain to its limit, instead of letting the chain cut and clear the waste properly, its not a race to see how many boards one can do in a day.

By pushing too hard what you are doing is slowing down the motor and a slower motor is a slower cut, keep the motor at a constant speed and the chain will last longer, pushing things also produces more heat, which in itself can stretch the chain and slow progress once again.

If you take the Logosol for instance, it runs on pico micro 50 chain and does sometimes suffer from chain failure, in my mind this is too smaller kit for the job.

325 is much stronger than micro, it also gives a better finish because it has more cutters doing the work, use a good chain, not cheap stuff, I use Oregon chipmaster ripping chain, she has nice rounded chisels, I do not use square chisels because they cut out more lumber than is needed, again sapping unessesary power.

As soon as the chain stretches take up the slack, even a small amount can give a slight delay in the take up to full running speed and cause snatching and stretching of the chain, easy does it all the time is the secret to longevity.

3/8 chain is better for milling than 404, but 325 has a marked difference when milling.

Latest posts

Back