Bar for PS-421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarolar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to upgrade the bar on my 421 and am looking for suggestions. I would like to stay with a 16" bar so I can continue to run my Oregon Lo Pro chains.

I want to upgrade the bar on my 421 and am looking for suggestions. I would like to stay with a 16" bar so I can continue to run my Oregon Lo Pro chains.

What do you consider an upgrade? Have you looked on Bailey's or Frawley's (www dot loggerchain dot com)? An educated customer can help himself. No doubt Oregon can help directly, too.

Something other than what Oregon offers maybe a Total or Sugihari? I'm running a Stihl ES bar on my 7900 but there seems to be a lack of high quality bars for the 421 when I search Bailey's just woodland pros and bottom line oregons.

you could go to 0.325 microlite to avoid the small nose. Not sure if there's much out there because the PS-421 has a destinctive bar mount setup (041)

No I'm not real excited about the quality and the fact its a small nose bar.
That came with a 7 tooth nose didn't it? There are nine tooth nose harder material lamine in the catalogs.

If you were to adapt to 7 tooth drive the 56 dl loops and the stihl 3005 bar modified as needed. Otherwise use 55dl which is odd to say the least. Genuine Stihl bar.

The nine tooth lp nose and the 10 tooth .325 NK nose are essentially the same size.

you could go to 0.325 microlite to avoid the small nose. Not sure if there's much out there because the PS-421 has a destinctive bar mount setup (041)
It also has plastic tabs built into the chain guard/clutch cover outside of the bar studs. Lengthening the slot in the bar can become necessary as 041 dosn't seem to have slot placement well published.

I'm all for modifying something of necessary or possibly coming up with some sort of adapter for a different bar. I work in a fab/machine shop and could even provide something at cost to arborist site members.

The Sugihara Light is (or has been?) availiable with a combination K095/K041 Mount (AT mount) - but not in 3/8" lo-pro that I know.
I believe there are other bars out there with such a combo mount as well - I believe Baileys have offered some?

As far as I know, you can use a drum and rim setup from a 5100 etc. - and use .325 rims on the saw.

Bailey's No. CSMC114503LM
3/8 LP SuperMini.
How much work to adapt to a Stihl bar?
I am a bit surpriced that bar works on the 420 etc, and also that it is not listed by Baileys to work on the small mount Stihl saws.

It is listed (by Baileys) as a C1 mount, and as far as I know the C1 is for small Husky (K095) and small Stihl (3005) Mount, but not the K041 that the Dolmars are supposed to use? :confused:

Latest posts

Back