Bar for PS-421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Research has shown that this is common with the 420-421 due to the theory the 3/8 lo pro is too weak for the saw.
I call BS. I run lo pro on ported GZ4000s and ported 42cc Poulans without that issue, and I would bet the 421 with its restrictive intake hasn't any more power. If they're prone to throwing chains there's likely some other reason.

I'm not sure but I have had it sling the chain several times now and I'm 100% positive it was properly adjusted because I check it every time prior to startup. Almost all the times it was in an upcut and this was with the stock chain and a loop of 91VXL.
I've been using VXL for a while with no problems, no problems with Stihl PM either. I'm not saying it hasn't happened to you i'm just saying it hasn't happened to me yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ideally I would like to one day send this one to the monkey but in light of the chain throwing issues and lack of bar issues I'm starting to second guess that plan.

Read here

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/index.php?threads/246102/
Please Help! New Dolmar 420 is destroying drive links!
Yeah, I remember that thread, but I never bought it. The 420 may be well built but it gets smoked by a GZ4000, and my 42cc Poulans have plenty of grunt too. There are other threads discussing how it is hard to get gains porting them because the intake manifold is restrictive, and they don't have anything remarkable in their design that would make them especially powerful.

There could be other things that cause chain stress, such as lots of flywheel mass or some such.

Ok I'll rule that one out seemed kinda silly to me anyhow. I would still love to have a rim drive but I digress. Thinking about ordering up that Pro 91 bar and giving it a shot.

Oh for the record every time the chain has jumped it wasn't in a bind it's at the end of an upcut just when it breaks through the wood. Pretty heavy pressure but it's always ripping nicely.

Ok I'll rule that one out seemed kinda silly to me anyhow. I would still love to have a rim drive but I digress. Thinking about ordering up that Pro 91 bar and giving it a shot.
My PILTZ comment was a joke....if you know about PILTZ saws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if I decided I want to convert to .325 does anyone have the part numbers handy for the rim conversion?

If any one is curious I have had this saw destroy two different chains now by throwing the chain and grinding up the drive links. Research has shown that this is common with the 420-421 due to the theory the 3/8 lo pro is too weak for the saw.
I don't have the part numbers at hand but it has been covered pretty thouroughly on here a few times. Use the 50cc stuff and a thinner washer the way I remember it.

The Stihl picco chain has bigger pivot points and thicker side plates if you really think chain strength is the underlying issue shift to using that.

The GB ArborTech bar pictured at the top is a very nice bar for the A041 mount. Yes there are more expensive bars available but i have had zero issues with this 12" bar on my Dolmar 340. Nice large nose radius and a replaceable sprocket nose all for around $12 USD from Leftcoast. They even have 20" A041 Arbortech bars in 3/8lp for $10 USD!

I also use the GB mincut powertip bars a lot due to the high quality but low cost. The Oregon Pro91 bars are ok too, but for me usually cost way more than the GB ones so i dont buy them very often. I have used them many times and they are a good bar too.

I also use the larger D009 (pictured bottom) for my 365XT, 372XP and 7900 saws. Bars have held up really well. The ones pictured are new obviously and not the ones i have used extensively on these saws!
These Orange bars look fantastic on a Jonsered or Dolmar or Husky saw. Before the paint starts to wear like they all do eventually, they look real nice. :)

Oh BTW i could not find my 14" techlite bar from my T540, but i grabbed another Oregon Pro91 A095 bar from my 338xpt and i tried it on the Dolmar 340 with the A041 mount. Mount is identical except for the extra oiler hole on the A095 bars. The A041 bars oil through the upper unused tensioner hole. Looking at it closely it did not line up very well to oil through the dedicated oiler hole plus the A095 bars i have dont allow oiling through the tensioner holes. The member who said the techlite top handle bars work for the A041 saws may be mistaken, but without having my techlite is my hands i cannot say. I am 95% sure it won't work. In stock form anyway.

upload_2014-11-21_14-40-16.jpeg

Yes, I understand how that works - 56DL worked with the bar, but the tail was a bit closer to the sprocket and the chain made some noise coming over the back corner of the bar. With 57DL the bar was further out and the angle not quite as steep.

Same situation i have with some John Deere branded GB replaceable nose bars i bought for a steal. I had other 325 bars in 66dl 050, but these GB bars are just that little bit different that even with an inboard clutch saw it is real hard to get the bar on and chain over the sprocket. 67 links fixes the problem.

I don't have the part numbers at hand but it has been covered pretty thouroughly on here a few times. Use the 50cc stuff and a thinner washer the way I remember it.

The Stihl picco chain has bigger pivot points and thicker side plates if you really think chain strength is the underlying issue shift to using that.
I can't find anything and I searched for two hours last night could you point me in the correct direction.

So I'm gonna order an 18" GB bar and two 60" loops of 91VXL from left coast. I kinda wanted to step up to 18" and you can't beat the cost of those GB bars I'll give a review whenever I get time to run it all some.

Yea I've seen that it tells me nothing about where to procure the parts from or part numbers to work by just simply states the rim/clutch parts from a 5105

So I'm guessing I need the clutch drum then whatever rim I decide to run plus the 2mm shim.

Ok I'll rule......

Oh for the record every time the chain has jumped it wasn't in a bind it's at the end of an upcut just when it breaks through the wood. Pretty heavy pressure but it's always ripping nicely.
I have had a problem with jumping chains on my 420. It was due too a once heavy jump where obviously the chain adjuster broke. I didn't see it first because the steel nose didn't break off but tore at the base. It is a stamped steel piece. And it ripped at the base, so every time I was tightening a chain it wasn't done correctly and the chain jumped. Luckily I noticed it in the evening on close inspection. Might have a look. Mine was replaced as a garentee case. Was a nice traight from Makita although it was obviously my fault. :D

Oh BTW i could not find my 14" techlite bar from my T540, but i grabbed another Oregon Pro91 A095 bar from my 338xpt and i tried it on the Dolmar 340 with the A041 mount. Mount is identical except for the extra oiler hole on the A095 bars. The A041 bars oil through the upper unused tensioner hole. Looking at it closely it did not line up very well to oil through the dedicated oiler hole plus the A095 bars i have dont allow oiling through the tensioner holes. The member who said the techlite top handle bars work for the A041 saws may be mistaken, but without having my techlite is my hands i cannot say. I am 95% sure it won't work. In stock form anyway.

View attachment 380937

There are combination 095/041 bars out there, but it is the exception and not the rule! I have only seen it with K tail bars though so far, not with A tails.....

There are combination 095/041 bars out there, but it is the exception and not the rule! I have only seen it with K tail bars though so far, not with A tails.....

Yes they must be the same ones i have seen before also. Same for me only K bars and not A tails. I want to get some combo mount A tails as they would come in very handy for me. I might try drilling an oiler hole on some cheaper laminated A041 bars i have laying around and see how successful it is.

Almost need a bachelor degree in chainsawology sometimes just to understand what mounts fit what saw sometimes. Must be hard for someone buying their first saw and trying to learn this stuff. :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back