Bar oil in newer Stihl saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had some issues with the Poulan stuff in the past but that has on a harvester it doesn't seem to be tacky enough for that application. 25 gallons is nothing for a year we run more then that in a month.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Most of the cutting is done with a buncher. We are just 2 guys and don't use saws all that much. Might go through 30-40 gallons of mix a year, not something really kept track of. A 5 gallon jug lasts me a month or so.

I just run Poulan oil. Available from Walmart or a local commercial supplier here for around $8-10 a gallon. It's pretty thick, but I just put a bit of diesel in the jug to thin it out.

Not sure who makes it, have gotten it in lime green jugs or black. Some of it is tan colored, some is red, no rhyme or reason that I can figure.
Back in the day it was always red. IIRC, Poulan's 2 cycle oil was green. Sears sold it under their name also. I switched to Echo when I used the last of my Sears oil.

When I refill the fuel tank on my new 261c my oil reservoir is still 1/2 full. My older saws 1:1 pretty much. My dealer told me run winter oil in the summer if need be. Minnesota winter I keep my oil inside where its heated.

Most of the cutting is done with a buncher. We are just 2 guys and don't use saws all that much. Might go through 30-40 gallons of mix a year, not something really kept track of. A 5 gallon jug lasts me a month or so.
That is from using a buncher style harvester it's a fixed head processor. 2 guys in the brush running 5 to 6 days a week, hand falling it's about 5 gallons a week roughly a gallon in 6 hours.

That is from using a buncher style harvester it's a fixed head processor. 2 guys in the brush running 5 to 6 days a week, hand falling it's about 5 gallons a week roughly a gallon in 6 hours.

We have a Timberjack 2618, has a 24" head on it. Looks like this:
Kind of goofy looking, but works well on the ground we usually work. It's heavy enough to handle most trees just fine too.

2893030.jpg

The delimber uses bar oil, but the topping saw isn't used a ton.

Logging for us is just to get the logs for firewood and to saw into lumber. We usually only log a day or two a week from about now till breakup and that gives enough logs for the year.

We have a Timberjack 2618, has a 24" head on it. Looks like this:
Kind of goofy looking, but works well on the ground we usually work. It's heavy enough to handle most trees just fine too.

2893030.jpg

The delimber uses bar oil, but the topping saw isn't used a ton.

Logging for us is just to get the logs for firewood and to saw into lumber. We usually only log a day or two a week from about now till breakup and that gives enough logs for the year.
Been around a few of those old leaky girls they use to be popular out here, we run an older 653 with a fabtek 4 roller for now after 20 years of service she needs to go to a new home.
bcab17302415479096e0a74aa78009a3.jpg
69227fc87e88fffb2c2f4f3a3fb3250a.jpg

Latest posts

Back