Bar oil jugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kottonwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, now that we have covered how everyone is mixing their fuel I was wondering what people are doing for bar oil jugs. I have recently switched over to biodegradable bar oil because on large removals I have been tilling the saw dust into peoples gardens for them after we are done. It is great, I get to charge them extra and it is less cleanup for me! I am trying to save some money and buy it in bulk though. I have just been using an old laundry detergent bottle for now. I am looking for something not so disposable and much more durable. Like a perfectly designed bar oil jug. One gallon, easy to fill, pour spout, and bullet proof. Anybody use anything like this? Where'd you get it?

I use a two gallon gas can going on 10 years same can. You should ask this question in the chainsaw section and you will get a million different answers. I am sure most guys in the commercial section use the jug it came in or a gas can for durability. I also pack a mini pig when out in the bush cutting firewood and leaving the larger cans in the truck for a refill if need be.

I use the ones they come in. Why poor it from a jug...........to a jug! I can see it if you buy in bulk, I dont, I buy the cheapest crap I can find, Stihl wants 18 bucks for a gal, that is straight up robbery. I buy the cheap crap at our Farm and Fleet, have never had a problem with it. Chains are fine. Its just as good. Dont let them tell u any different either, once that stuff hits a chain at full throttle, there is no way it can break down in the time it takes to get flung off. I pay 5.99 a gal, sometimes 4.99. I see on the logger shows, those guys carrying, what looks like a lucas treatment bottle out in the woods, cant see how that would last............then again, maybe that's the point, get to take a break and walk to the truck, check text messages, take a leak, get a drink, and oh yeah fill my bar oil and gas .......... again!
Patriot, using bio, how does that come? Gallons like norm?
I have used used engine oil in the winter, problem with that is cleanliness, gotta strain it, or the oilier will get plugged with crap from a oil pan.

Last edited:
I use one of the old style round top 2gal.? gas cans. Welded a piece of steel over the old filler hole. Welded a 3/4" nipple in place of the old gas outlet. Over the years I've lost a couple gallons of oil when someone nicked them with a chainsaw blade. Big mess. This thing is fool proof and spill proof.
Phil

I use old 1 gallon Poulan jugs. I have 5 5 gallon jugs of filtered fryer oil from restaurants that I keep in storage. It is my bio bar oil. I only use it when temps are above freezing though, as it will gel when it's freezing cold. I usually by the cheap Poulan bar oil in the Wintertime and have a couple of jugs that I fill with the vegetable oil as needed.

I use one of the old style round top 2gal.? gas cans. Welded a piece of steel over the old filler hole. Welded a 3/4" nipple in place of the old gas outlet. Over the years I've lost a couple gallons of oil when someone nicked them with a chainsaw blade. Big mess. This thing is fool proof and spill proof.
Phil

Nice, this sounds like a pretty good solution, I will probably try something like this.

I use old 1 gallon Poulan jugs. I have 5 5 gallon jugs of filtered fryer oil from restaurants that I keep in storage. It is my bio bar oil. I only use it when temps are above freezing though, as it will gel when it's freezing cold. I usually by the cheap Poulan bar oil in the Wintertime and have a couple of jugs that I fill with the vegetable oil as needed.

Nice! good call on the veggie oil. That stihl biodegradable stuff is expensive.

Nice! good call on the veggie oil. That stihl biodegradable stuff is expensive.

I've been using canola and vegetable oil exclusively for 5 years now. For daily dispensing I use a No Spill can. The viscosity doesn't quite jive with the pouring mechanism, but it works. Just not quite as well as gas.

For daily dispensing I use a No Spill can. The viscosity doesn't quite jive with the pouring mechanism, but it works. Just not quite as well as gas.

I got the idea to use a clear No Spill for regular bar oil. Found out that I had to gut out and remove the valve mechanism because of the viscosity. Now it really isn't any better than the jug the oil comes in but I suppose it's sturdier.

I was using used hydaulic oil from a broke cahin repair on a new holand skid steer had to drain it in the field with a plastic cup at a time and I had 2 30 gal grease drums that were clean so pored it in to a five gallon bucket then to a 1/2 gallon metal karoseen jug I found at a garage sale, worked good till I ran out I will have to look for that can in the garage as the last 2 gallons of bar oil were 10.99 at home depot will have to switch to konola too.
Paul

The stihl bar oil containers get holes in them way to easy. For the kinda $$ they want for them they should be way more durable.

Also patriot saw your trucks in another thread. I really like the company colors you has your fleet painted in makes your fleet look sharp.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?t4nvqk

Last edited:
we been looking for a more spill proof alternative and came up with the tide (I think) laundry detergent container. It's one of those push button feed type containers. Just as tough as any bar oil plastic container with the added feature of flow control

Anyone ever use peanut oil as bar oil? i have quite abit stored in the garage from frying turkeys. I really want to do away with bar oil but finding its not much cheaper to buy canola oil. I was would like to find a place where I can get it in bulk. I was thinking Sams Club.

Some of the guys I've worked with run awful crap through their saws too... used engine oil, used hydraulic oil etc... some of that stuff really stinks!

I just use regular stihl, I buy it in bulk and it's not that expensive. I decant it into a few of the 4L sihl bar oil jugs which is a gallon. 2 or 3 of those is usually plenty to get throug a day. It pours fine so long as you know how to pour.

I've seen some guys using the laundry softener jugs, with the long spouts. They do pour easy, but the jugs are small. Most of these guys were weekend warrior types.

Anyone ever use peanut oil as bar oil? i have quite abit stored in the garage from frying turkeys. I really want to do away with bar oil but finding its not much cheaper to buy canola oil. I was would like to find a place where I can get it in bulk. I was thinking Sams Club.

That is partly what I am using. I actually got the oil I am using from a friend who is another member here. He was using it to suplimemt his diesle in his truck and no longer had any use for it after he bought a new vehicle. It is just fryer oil that came out of commercial fryers and has been filtered with a mechanical filter. It still has good viscosity.

I don"t see any problem at all using peanut oil except for price. Peanut oil can get expensive.

Last edited:
I tried veggie oil but that stuff turns into water when it's hot

I am off canola for now. I'm running echo's premium. Don't ask me why, but it is the best stuff I've ever run. I've thought of getting a different container, something strong and useful, but nothing yet. Stihl's jugs are too soft. I've learned that the hard way...lol.

I get 6 gallons at a time of Echo premium for $9.99ea, but I haven't found a container I like.
I just love coming to the truck for a fuel up and finding ten dollars leaking all over the bed :msp_thumbdn:

Ru

Back