Bar oil pouring made easy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
Reaction score
As the price of decent bar oil keeps going up, I hate to waste even a drop. I also hate over filling and having it run all over the saw. Some saws with the filler cap on top of the saw... under the brake lever can be a pain to fill without making a mess.
I usually refill old gear lube bottles with bar oil which work really well for tight spots. But they tip easy.
Today I made a simple deal that works great on any saw, cheap and easy to do.

I had a piece of 1/2 od X 3/8 id clear vinyl hose sittin in the shop. I drilled a 7/16" hole through the cap.
I had to really push to get it started, it's a super tight fit. I don't think it's really needed, but a put a zip-tie on the end to prevent it from pulling out. As tight as it fit's, you'd have to really pull on it.

Once I was finished, I laid the full bottle on it's side with my finger over the end of the fill hose.
I put a bunch of pressure on the bottle, and not even a spec of oil leaked passed the hose where it goes into the cap.
An orange wire nut makes a perfect cap to cover the end of the hose.

Just something simple and easy I thought I'd share that be be made for less than $1 and make life easier.

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

Last edited:
How does the oil come out of that when the oil is really thick from the cold weather? Other than that, that is a great idea.

Just something simple and easy I thought I'd share that be be made for less than $1 and make life easier.
Looks good, but I think I larger diameter hose might be easier. Maybe 5/8 or 3/4 ID to help the oil flow a little better.

How does the oil come out of that when the oil is really thick from the cold weather? Other than that, that is a great idea.

It's 5 degrees here at the moment. The jug was in the un-heated part of the shop, so it was probably no warmer than 10-15 degrees. It flowed just fine through the hose, if your in a hurry, you can give the jug a little squeeze.

I think this size hose will be fine, but a fella could always go larger just as easy.

Howdy neighbor!

Season's Greetings!

(Remind me to not mention that Dolmar 120 Super I got in IL a couple weeks ago ... :) )

I'd be concerned with losing expensive bar oil too! Need me to grab you a few gallons at TSC?

if you put the bar oil in 1 quart bottles you can use the screw on nipples from lucas oil treatment
bottles for the small holes on old poulan saws :)

Yup. That's what I do. I go the extra mile and attach that little blue cap with a piece of string so I don't lose it in the woods. Those little caps sneak off if you ain't careful.

dd

Yup. That's what I do. I go the extra mile and attach that little blue cap with a piece of string so I don't lose it in the woods. Those little caps sneak off if you ain't careful.

dd
btw short hijack.... the 500EVL stall going :) :) :)

back to bar oil pouring tech... I also have a tiny funnel in my saw bucket

I use a dish washing soap bottle. It' clear plastic so I can see how much is in it and the cap has one of those valves that you can open by pulling on it. To close, just push the valve back in.

I squeeze the oil into the tank and if I start to get too much, I just stop squeezing and let the suction inside the bottle stop the flow.

Great idea, Ive been using the quart bottles from the Lucas fuel additive Ive bought over time. Just taking the gallon would be much easier.

For those times when you get distracted or simply are slow to react & fill it to the top where you know you will have a mess if you put the cap on, a 60 cc syringe or basting syringe work great to take some back out. In a pinch I have used a straw. Stick the straw in as far as you can, place your finger over the end of the straw & the oil in the straw will stay in the straw long enough to hold it over your jug/bottle. Take your finger off & out it flows.

I have several of the 60cc syringes, I will have to remember to take some with me to the "Charity Cut III" down by Springfield, MO on January 11th, 2014 to give away.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back