Bar oil? The other oil thread....Thin or thick?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never heard of the term "astringent" used with bar oil. Doesn't seem to make sense, Hence the definition:

astringent, any of a group of substances that cause the contraction or shrinkage of tissues and that dry up secretions. Astringents are usually classified into three groups according to their mode of action: (1) those that decrease the blood supply by narrowing the small blood vessels (e.g., epinephrine and cocaine), (2) those that abstract water from the tissue (e.g., glycerol and alcohol), and (3) those that coagulate the superficial tissue layers into a crust (e.g., metallic astringents, such as calamine or alum). Used in medicine to reduce swollen mucous membranes that result from inflammations of the nasal, gastrointestinal, and urinary passages, astringents are also frequently employed to dry up excessive secretions and (in this connection they are often known as styptics) to stop bleeding.

I have never heard of the term "astringent" used with bar oil. Doesn't seem to make sense, Hence the definition:

astringent, any of a group of substances that cause the contraction or shrinkage of tissues and that dry up secretions. Astringents are usually classified into three groups according to their mode of action: (1) those that decrease the blood supply by narrowing the small blood vessels (e.g., epinephrine and cocaine), (2) those that abstract water from the tissue (e.g., glycerol and alcohol), and (3) those that coagulate the superficial tissue layers into a crust (e.g., metallic astringents, such as calamine or alum). Used in medicine to reduce swollen mucous membranes that result from inflammations of the nasal, gastrointestinal, and urinary passages, astringents are also frequently employed to dry up excessive secretions and (in this connection they are often known as styptics) to stop bleeding.
Sounded good to me. I didn't look the meaning up. I figured it meant something to do with being stringy witch my brain converted to tacky. I got the point.

Hmm nobody buys 30wt (summer oil) in the winter around here. We sell a remanufactured bar oil from a company out of Ohio, its some of the tackiest I've seen.

I go through a fair amount of bar oil and have been using Walmart SuperTech for years. In the winter I thin it a bit with diesel fuel if it's warranted.
I have never heard the word astringent used to describe anything other than face wash...

i use the stihl orange bottle always. mostly because it is the cheapest around here. heck, even the supertech from walmart is more expensive. most people don't use their saws enough to really build a good opinion on the matter. i've done it. go up on a hill side cutting for 6 hours straight with the thick stuff one day and then do it the same with the thin stuff the next. hang the bars on the wall in your shop and the one with the thick oil will drip oil on the floor for a month and the one with thin will drip once or twice or not at all. stihl orange i consider a medium thickness and it works great year round for me but i never cut in anything colder then -10c. i like the husky bar oil the best but it be pricey here.

Its cheap and really I don't think bar oil is worth worrying about.
When i mill the cheap stuff flings off the tip too much ,and the bottom of the bar wears that the load is on ,reg firewood cutting ,am sure it is fine though .I found the husky stuff the tackiest so far ,it is more expensive though .

i-zskqmTQ-L.jpg

how much do you guys pay down south? i gotta agree with everyone really. while i do feel the thicker stuff is better and i much prefer to use it my decision is still influenced heavily on costs. i'm just lucky that the stihl oil is the cheapest. here;s what we pay.

stihl orange $13.95
lordco $14.79
husky $17.99
supertech $22

all in CAD. these are what i know of. we do have another oil branded as sonic from the hardware store but it is extremely heavy stuff and is $24. i have never ran it.

Echo 750EVL. It's a bit outdated. Wonder if they even had dedicated bar oil back then.

Manual also calls for 20:1 mix

Back