Bar oil? The other oil thread....Thin or thick?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bailey's Motion Lotion is a good dependable oil and at $10/gal. ain't bad. TSC oil I've tried was too thick in the am and so thin in the afternoon I got tired of adj. oil flow. And for those using old motor oil read up on how oil works. One of oil's main jobs is to capture filth and carbon particules in the oil itself, trapped between the oil molecules. This is part of the color change and smell with used oil. Filters only catch large particules.
$150 Bar+ $90 for 3 chains and files Xs 10 saws = $2400 I think I'll buy decent oil.

I use lordco brand, because here i can get it for $8.80 for 4l. My son uses bio oil, but that's because bc hydro mandates they use it for their hydro line trimming contracts. I think bar oil is a case of any oil is better than no oil, as long as some of it makes it around the bar tip it's doing it's job.

i use this for 6.29 per gallon its cheap and tacky does a good job i got around 10 gallon i should be good.
and supertech bar chain oil is crap,,,,, i said it not you haha.
prod_10796785319.jpg

A trick a faller told me one time is if the oiler feels like it is getting stingy ,run a tank of mix in the bar oil ,it will flush any gunk/sawdust buildup out of there ,not sure how your jeans would smell doing that though ,have never tried it myself .
When I think my oiler is getting that way I pour a cap of mix in when I fill the oil tank. I burn all my waste oil in my trucks.

i use this for 6.29 per gallon its cheap and tacky does a good job i got around 10 gallon i should be good.
and supertech bar chain oil is crap,,,,, i said it not you haha.
View attachment 424244
I used Poulan oil from 1978 until this year when I ran out. Switched to Echo. One thing about the Poulan, that red oil is easy to see on the bar and chain.

We use Echo oil from a 55 gallon drum but It all works, it just gets slung off the end of the bar anyways.

The only expensive oil we buy in gallon jugs is bio oil.

Canola oil, $6 a gallon. Half the price of bar oil here, far far better for the environment, my well water and me. No bar or chain issues using it year round in all of my saws.

For those using used motor oil, shame shame. Blow-by toxins and heavy metals, as well as a ton of detergent dumped into the woods. Not good for anyone or anything. If you have to use motor oil, at least use virgin 10wt or 30wt non detergent oil. O/w use a non-detergent bar oil designed for chainsaws with a tackifier in it.

I usually use supertec oil. But I have run out and ran 5w40 I drained from my truck, if it was a weekend and no local place around to get oil.. My saw actually calls for 10w30 motor oil and not bar oil.

I use Itasca. It looks like cleaner oil to me when compared to TSC oil and it's thicker/more tac. Price is higher than TSC by a dollar or so and same price as walmarts supertech.
I see if I order a case of it through Amazon Prime with free shipping I can get the cost per gal down ~$2 lower than TSC oil.

Husky oil in my area is only $9.79/gal. It works good and is affordable. The Xtreme is pretty good but is only carried in 10wt around here so that's for winter use for me and that $7/gal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran bar oil in my skid loader engine once when it ran out ,and it actually worked ,it was a sunday ,needed to finish up what i was doing ,i do not endorse doing this though

This is nice. The Canola Nazi's or the $16-a-gallon-or-bust crowd has stayed away mostly. Thick or thin I'd run motor oil if it was cheapest.

I use TSC oil or stihl Orange bottle. There's a brand called Save a Chain that's thinner that works good on the aux oiler and winter time. Those are usually in the $6-8 and stihl Orange bottle is around $10. The silver is $15 a gallon.

For about twenty five years now I have used 'used motor oil'. I have never had to buy an oiler and bars and chains seem to last as long as the guys that used 'proper' chain oil. Considering on average I use 2 gallons a week I will continue to be 'thrifty'.

Back