bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read that in very cold conditions, dilute your your bar oil with diesel fuel,so as to thin it.Makes since to me.As for used motor oil,Bar oil is fairly cheap and a gallon goes a long way.

This is really funny :) Last Wednesday John Sanborn and I went out bumming together while we were in Seattle. While we were driving I mentioned that I expected that the new/used oil thread was going to pop up pretty soon...here it is. It'll come back up around january or February too :)

I agree with Dozerdan about the wear on chain/sprockets. For a few years I used old motor oil. I sat down and calculated how much new oil cost per week. Then I gave some thought to how many bars/chains/sprockets I could ruin in order to break even. The wear did not increase at all. I never saw an increase in parts replacement. Actually, in the winter we saw a little better lubing because the used oil seemed a little thinner.

The old line about used motor oil grinding up pumps, etc. because of the grit in the oil is bunk. An automotive engine has much higher purity needs than any oil pump on a saw. If the waste particles are big enough to ruin an X-hundred dollar saw, they would have trashed the X-thousand dollar vehicle engine.

The reason I quit using old oil is that it stinks and is really messy. I use the same oil in my saws as my engines with seasonal adjustments. works well for me after doing arbo work for 30 years.

Whanna talk about canola oils now?

Tom

my buddy called waned me to pickup a load of maple and oak, when I got to the site his oiler on his 272 was shot. Saws not even a year old...... he runs recycled oil

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap

Whanna talk about canola oils now?

Tom

I love the smell of the vegetable oil bar lube. Its like makin popcorn in the woods.:D

BillW said:
It is a mixed feeling I/we have about a customer using used oils (Diesel engine, Trans oil etc). Its one thing to get preachy and tell him he is not saving $ like he is sure he is...particularly when you see him more ofter buying chains, sprockets & bars:D
However I still stick out my neck and mention the add'l wear that goes along with the "savings".
If you are looking to $ave...try soaking your chains in a real bar oil before using your saw...NEW IDEA...NOT...Oregon has recommended it since at least the '60's, and now with their little 'pocket' between the rivets to hold the oil from the 'soak', you are throwing $ away not using the tech. being supplied.

Used motor oil wouldn't be a good idea because of the afore mentioned acids in the oil. Used Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is perfect for winter bar oil. ATF does not contain any acids, even if the tranny "burnt up". ATF is a far superior lubricant, much more so than motor oil(synthetic being the exception). I've used a 50/50 mix of quality bar oil and used ATF for years, professionally, and have never had a lube oil related breakdown. I didn't start using the mix trying to save money. I started using it because I wanted my chain and bar to be lubricated from the very first revolution even on the coldest of days. I swear by the stuff.

Latest posts

Back