Bar Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roostersgt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Old timers and experienced fellers. If I have a 50 gauge bar and the rails are worn bad enough the chain wobbles side to side pretty good, can I avoid getting a new bar and changing to say 58 guage, or 63?

Basically no - it won't be right even if you close the top of the rails to fit a .58 chain (provided it is wide enough to start with) - but it may work for a while, for streight down cutting.

In some cases, the bottom of the slot may not be wide enough to take the .058 chain.

Old timers and experienced fellers. If I have a 50 gauge bar and the rails are worn bad enough the chain wobbles side to side pretty good, can I avoid getting a new bar and changing to say 58 guage, or 63?

Maybe, probably be better off to see if the rails can be tighten up and ground. The rails wear in a V shape so the bottom of the channel might still be to tight.

Depends on the bar and how picking the operator is. The cutter of the chain only has to clear the side plate so the bar would have to be very very worn to make jumping up to .058 or .063 worth whlie.

I have seen it done. I have used bars in that condition. I prefer an actual fix.

If your bar rails are worn that much...

It's quite likely they are also worn badly in depth...

Drivers hitting bottom of bar channel..??..yes / no..??

I recommend you buy a NEW bar..before you need a New bar..and ALSO a NEW chain(s)..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
You can do whatever you want, whether it will work or be safe is an entirely different story.

Just buy a new bar, there is a difference between being cheap and resourceful.

Thanks for the replies. I've several laying around in the garage that the dealer/shop owner said were missing too much metal. Said he could clean up the edges, but could not "add" metal to the bars. Was just curious. I already replaced them and was wondering if I could get away with being cheap. I'd rather be cautious and just chuck them. Thanks again.

?? I'm don't really see how there is really any danger involved with either the successful or unsuccessful attempt at running a .058 or .063 gauge chain on a worn out .050 gauge bar. It either is going to work or it isn't. You might throw a chain ......... you might always throw a chain, with the correct gauge, so I don't quite understand the safety warnings???

Sam

I've yet to throw a chain and would not relish that ever happening, if I could do anything to avoid it. Doesn't even sound remotely like something I would enjoy.

Back