Bar Size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a 16" bar on my 338 Husky for climbing. Even my 350 Husky is running a 20" bar. I limb a tree with the same saw I drop it with, so I've never understood all this limbing saw stuff.
If a 60cc saw dosen't have enough power to run a 20" bar, you need to lighten up, let the saw do it's job.
Put on a short bar and you'll be happy for a little while. Learn to run a saw, and you'll be happy for a lifetime.
A V-8 unlimited Hot Saw would be the only saw I've ever heard of that you can just hog it through the cut. Even my Kawasaki 250 bike saw has to be operated or it will bog down in the cut.

Andy

My prefered choice is my 15" 357 with chisel chain that is stupidly quick hardly never bogs and is perfectly balanced and light

If a 60cc saw dosen't have enough power to run a 20" bar, you need to lighten up, let the saw do it's job.
Put on a short bar and you'll be happy for a little while. Learn to run a saw, and you'll be happy for a lifetime.

Andy

Stihl recommends 16" - 25" bars for the 361. You have to assume they know WTF they're talking about seeing how they engineered the saw. :monkey:
I know how to run a saw,..and this thing friggin cranks through hardwood with the shorter bar. I can practically stand on it and not bog out!:greenchainsaw: :givebeer:

Stihl recommends 16" - 25" bars for the 361. You have to assume they know WTF they're talking about seeing how they engineered the saw. :monkey:
I know how to run a saw,..and this thing friggin cranks through hardwood with the shorter bar. I can practically stand on it and not bog out!:greenchainsaw: :givebeer:

15" is standard here - but so it is on the 660..........:givebeer:

It's an East Coast thing Greenmountainster.

The west coast guys are always going too use longer bars because they're cutting larger softwood exclusively. East coast hardwood (exclusively), your best off with an 18" max for that saw in my opinion. It will pull the 20" as you've experianced but it's pushing the envelope as you've also seen. You've already got the 20" so use it, but go easy and let the saw work. Keep your chains pin sharp too! :cheers:

+1

Lakes states too.

I've never had anything other than an 18" on my old 036. Sharp 20" is fine, put I'm impatient and I like to lean on it a bit.

Jonny 2171/Husky 372 series with 20" is going to be missed greatly up here when they are all gone. I'm hoping to have one by this fall.

And all you guys, bend your knees a bit (seriously), back problems stink.:cry:

you guys can actually tell the available HP difference between 18" vs 20" bar?
an extra couple inches doesn't make much difference and only on the smallest saws woudl it be noticeable.

+1

And all you guys, bend your knees a bit (seriously), back problems stink.:cry:

I hope none of you have knee problems. Back problems suck and are very uncomfortable but by far the worse pain I have felt came from my knee. When I was 40 years old I did not know how bad pain could get and certainly many of you haven't experianced it in the same extremes. Afterwards you get sensitive to warning signs that lead to the problem. My knees feel better straight and so does my back.
A 22 inch bar is just right for my stature and thats what I aim to buy for my new Makita 6401. If it will not pull it well enough , its a dog and I'll need to get the 7900 top end on it to be happy.:greenchainsaw:

I hope none of you have knee problems. Back problems suck and are very uncomfortable but by far the worse pain I have felt came from my knee. When I was 40 years old I did not know how bad pain could get and certainly many of you haven't experianced it in the same extremes. Afterwards you get sensitive to warning signs that lead to the problem. My knees feel better straight and so does my back.
A 22 inch bar is just right for my stature and thats what I aim to buy for my new Makita 6401. If it will not pull it well enough , its a dog and I'll need to get the 7900 top end on it to be happy.:greenchainsaw:

...left knee on occasion, lower back, neck, shoulderrs, left hip, right elbow, and it depends upon the day. I swear sometimes it(pain) just migrates around, and I'm not an advocate of taking painkillers unless necessary!

Because of the aforementioned, I generally use the lightest saws that suit the task at hand. The Echo 345/3450/346 is about 9-1/4# ready to cut, and is easy to control when wading into the top of downed hardwood. When the wood gets large enough that the smaller saw is noticeably slow, I'll go to a larger saw. For big stuff and bucking, its nice to have a powerful saw.

Latest posts

Back