Bar tip grease gun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check with Napa or search online.
I use two different types, one type is a needle and has a zerk on the end that mates with the grease gun tip, the other type is a screw on solid needle tip, it's usually longer and I have to use the solid threaded attached one for greasing the front u joints on my 4x4. The screw on one is more user friendly, but requires tools to remove and intall the quick connect end back on the grease gun. (I have several grease guns that I've acquired over the years with all kinds of dirrent length hoses. I like the pistol grip grease guns for one handed operation.
You can also buy a reasonably priced grease gun tip kit from flea bay that has all kinds of tips, some are vacicnating type needles for grease guns. I use those to inject grease into ball bearings by going behind the seal.

If I see any of my chainsaw bars with the itty bitty hole for grease I give it a shot every once in awhile when sharpening the chain or cleaning the bar groove and chain oiler holes, . (figured who ever put the hole in it wanted it greased) Think maybe it just flushes out gummy trash like gets in the bar groove. I don't take the grease gun to the wood lot like I did few years ago. When roller tipped bars first came about they wanted (recommended) the bearing greased quite often. I've never had any good luck with the specially designed little chainsaw needle tipped grease guns, they usually would not work when I reached for them and I would end up working on the worthless PITA little grease guns and greasy hands. I just use my automotive pistol grip type large guns with the needle tip that I know will operate when I reach for it.
Several roller tip bars now days do not have any grease holes.

There was a thread this past winter or spring and the general consensus was that it was not the best move to grease the sproket. Stihl apparently no longer has a grease hole for their bars, and others with other brands of bars feel that greasing contributes to early sproket failure by trapping grit. They feel the chain oil does an adequate job of lubrication. You may wish to do a search for the thread, some experienced sawyers gave their view on the subject.
Sugihara recommend greasing the tips on their bars

I use a spray can of motorcycle chain lube. The small plastic tube fits the grease hole well and the lube comes out as a thin oil that penetrates everywhere and then forms a good grease as the solvent evaporates. Good for a lot of other things like car door hinges and garage door guide wheels.

Back