Bar Tip Grease Gun?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a new Tsumura bar show up last night. I don't recall ever seeing a grease port on any of my other bars. Q -- Get a grease gun or not? For certain none of my Stihl OEM bars have this port, so is it really necessary?

1628345856404.png

I greased mine before reading all the posts about it here. I'll keep lubing until I need to replace the nose. After that I'm not sure.

i like the benefits of some fresh oil and/or grease. no shortage of uses, types, places and requirements. add a drop or pump a squish! ~ just got a couple of lock-teeth grease gun nozzels to upgrade my grease and zerk ops at farm. i have one of several... oil cans always at the ready. :cool: gear oil, general 40 wgt saved from used qts, 3-n1, light lube, plastics lube... found my Labelle 107 eye dropper oiler with cracked cap... cleansed and epoxied couple days ago, now returned to service... perfect for a drop or two, reaches in, as well...

no doubt bar tip is extreme duty. some more info on the subject...

Nearly as much fun as an oil thread! :laugh:
To grease or not to grease- that is the question. (original quote from Hamlet that was rewritten post production)

If the hole is provided- it is totally your choice as the owner of said bar if you choose to grease the nose sprocket or not.
I personally own both styles of bars both with and without said hole/holes and admit to using grease on the bar tips that have the provision- but I have done ever since I was instructed to by older more experienced pro loggers way back last century.
Only thing I might suggest- is if you start greasing the tip sprocket early in life- keep greasing the sprocket tip for the life of the bar- or never grease it from the get go.
In my experience, bar tip sprockets that were run with grease applied for a good part of their early life tend to get sloppy and flog out the bearings if the grease is ceased later in life

Only thing I might suggest- is if you start greasing the tip sprocket early in life- keep greasing the sprocket tip for the life of the bar- or never grease it from the get go.
In my experience, bar tip sprockets that were run with grease applied for a good part of their early life tend to get sloppy and flog out the bearings if the grease is ceased later in life
+1 on what Bob said. I asked my dad once if I should grease the bar tip, he said he never does and he was advised that if you grease the tip once, you should always grease it.

I grease the bar tip daily, the clutch needle bearing weekly more if it’s doing all the work. It’s called maintenance. When your living depends on your saws running flawless you do maintence. I dress the rails on the bars as needed. I clean the air filter everynight

I grease the bar tip daily, the clutch needle bearing weekly more if it’s doing all the work. It’s called maintenance. When your living depends on your saws running flawless you do maintence. I dress the rails on the bars as needed. I clean the air filter everynight
Finally, someone with a sound mind. I have made my living with a chainsaw for over forty years. And I am a tip greaser. The one thing I have not seen mentioned is water. My saws work in the rain as do I. They get put away wet, there's often no room in the sawbox so one maybe two ride in the weather. Sometimes I'll throw a wet saw in the shed for weeks or months. Surface rust grows quickly here and I certainly don't want any on my tip bearing, so I grease, I grease till its oozing between the chain and tip, then roll the chain some and grease more. If the bar's not on the saw I grease as I roll the sprocket along the bench or wall. I continue greasing till the groove is full. Ain't no water gettin in there. Grease is cheap maintenance and who doesn't like it on your clothes, skin, pickup seat, who knows where.

If we make a living with our saws doing maintenance it will make everything last longer. I just can’t just buying a new bar and chain to replace the one I abused. It effects the bottomline profits on what little $$ we do make. Clean your airfilters. We drop some hefty coins for new saws. I took used saws I purchased and split the cases to find saw dust/dirt in the crankcase. Hint it scores cylinders too. Of course the air box and engine are covered with oil soaked saw dust. It pays to disassemble the saw and give it a good cleaning often.

I collect tractors too. The ones that have excessive blowby I pull the head and see scored cylinders. I check the air filter only to find it was never serviced. PO are lazy.

Did you have to remove the "Prince Albert" to gain access to the hole?
My first 350 husky saw I purchased the PO said it ran. The clutch needle bearing was rusted to the crank, fix the crankcase air leak, new fuel line, filter, new clutch drum/ bearing, it finally ran, the saw was filthy.

I just run the saw at the end of the session at about 1/2 throttle with some blips until I see lots of oil on the chain and bar.

tip greasers are overworking the problem, imo. Because there isn't one when you don't grease.

good reminder Bill, I'm gonna gave a look at my haying tractor's air filter right now. It's been dry and dusty here.

It’s your money pay now or pay later, don’t check the oil in your car too. Lol

Greasing is as bad as asking what two stroke oil? Lo

Grease holes are like assholes not every saw has one.

Latest posts

Back