Barber Chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, hoping that I'd get some firewood cutting work, I hung out my shingle. What do ya know, the first call, a guy wanted me to cut down a half dozen problem trees. First was a 3' dia. Cedar growing on the edge of a 15' straight down bluff. I could only cut from one side, so I made a 30 degree cut down, put a wedge in and it went over. Then there were some Alders about 8" to 12" growing by the river leaning over, some 10 degree some 45 degree and one was split wide open, like Slowp said. So I plunge cut the center then down to about 1" from the side then up and out the top, easy peasy!
My first ever 30 degree leaner, I totally screwed up. It was about a 12" dia., I thought I'd make a face cut first then cut the top and watch it fall. Wrong! I got the bar about half way in and it stuck, solid! So I used another saw on the top and it barber chaired. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get that tree apart. We finally pushed it over with the excavator.

Excavator!

That there's cheatin' ha!

Sounds like you did OK for a first expedition. Bar stuck happens, meh....I doubt many guys can claim that has never happened to them.

no mater what you think ya know or what method ya read about, it helps to know the wood your about to cut. they are all different and at different time of the year. that is why its called expieriance......now if I could just learn to spell.

The photo on left is the top part ,flip ot over it fits on the one to the right,ijust set them side by side to show the fibre pull,just make a face cut 6 oclock pn the lean side direction tree is going to fall. Then make the side triangle cuts 12 and 4 and 12 and 8 ,at this point you have took the barber stress away,now make last cut a normal back cut,mke sure to leave some holding wood,when hear holding wood starting to go ,thats when get out of the way and it should slowly go over ,

I now see their from the same tree, had to rotate photo 90 degrees to match the notch. On a tree this small I'd be tempted to skip using the chainsaw for the back cut and set a pole saw in there and have at it, just to keep myself more out of harms way. Those really big leaners, I don't wanna even get near, too much stored energy that I don't yet understand.

Well, hoping that I'd get some firewood cutting work, I hung out my shingle. What do ya know, the first call, a guy wanted me to cut down a half dozen problem trees. First was a 3' dia. Cedar growing on the edge of a 15' straight down bluff. I could only cut from one side, so I made a 30 degree cut down, put a wedge in and it went over. Then there were some Alders about 8" to 12" growing by the river leaning over, some 10 degree some 45 degree and one was split wide open, like Slowp said. So I plunge cut the center then down to about 1" from the side then up and out the top, easy peasy!
My first ever 30 degree leaner, I totally screwed up. It was about a 12" dia., I thought I'd make a face cut first then cut the top and watch it fall. Wrong! I got the bar about half way in and it stuck, solid! So I used another saw on the top and it barber chaired. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get that tree apart. We finally pushed it over with the excavator.

You are one well prepared dude if you show up to cut six trees with an excavator just in case:cheers: I can't even make the jump to wearing chaps:msp_biggrin:

I now see their from the same tree, had to rotate photo 90 degrees to match the notch. On a tree this small I'd be tempted to skip using the chainsaw for the back cut and set a pole saw in there and have at it, just to keep myself more out of harms way. Those really big leaners, I don't wanna even get near, too much stored energy that I don't yet understand.

i run a 32 inch bar ,so i'm out of the way pretty good ,cut with the tip of the bar

also i will add cutting these leaner's is dangerous ,if you are not confident in your skills ,don't try this at home

You are one well prepared dude if you show up to cut six trees with an excavator just in case:cheers: I can't even make the jump to wearing chaps:msp_biggrin:

There were MANY days and lots of trees between those two jobs! When I went to cut those half dozen trees I wasn't even prepared, I brought my little 034 super with 18" bar then found out I needed my 440 saw / 28" bar, when I got back to the job site, I realized I had no gas!:laugh:

There were MANY days and lots of trees between those two jobs! When I went to cut those half dozen trees I wasn't even prepared, I brought my little 034 super with 18" bar then found out I needed my 440 saw / 28" bar, when I got back to the job site, I realized I had no gas!:laugh:

Now thats more my style!

Latest posts

Back