Barber Chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JanThorCro

JanThorCro

ArboristSite Operative
Hey all.

I recently got to witness ignorance in action. I saw my first live “Barber Chair”.
My 1st mistake was thinking this guy knew what he was doing.

Here’s how it went. He had a 12" oak that had a really good lean to it and he was dropping it going with the lean. He began cutting the back cut on the tension side of the tree without cutting a notch 1st. After watching him for about 10 seconds the alarms in my head were pretty loud (Your gonna kill yourself...). I got his attention and told him he needed make a notch 1st, then the back cut. His notch consisted of a 3" deep horizontal cut into the tree. He goes back and continues the back cut. At this point I’m just thinking Barber Chair, Barber Chair... Slick as snot the tree barber chaired, it split up the spar about 4 feet, the top 3\4 of the tree pivoted to the ground and left the butt end of the spar about 4 feet in the air.

I am at the point in life where I will no longer work with or around unprofessional people. I wrote an email to the head of the organization that we were volunteering for, complete with recommendations and even a line stating it may be best for everyone if we weekend warriors were on a much tighter leash or even no longer allowed to do tree work for the sake of the future of the organization. I didn't get a response back and that worries me...

Thoughts anyone.

rocketnorton

rocketnorton

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Hey all.

I recently got to witness ignorance in action. I saw my first live “Barber Chair”.
My 1st mistake was thinking this guy knew what he was doing.

Here’s how it went. He had a 12" oak that had a really good lean to it and he was dropping it going with the lean. He began cutting the back cut on the tension side of the tree without cutting a notch 1st. After watching him for about 10 seconds the alarms in my head were pretty loud (Your gonna kill yourself...). I got his attention and told him he needed make a notch 1st, then the back cut. His notch consisted of a 3" deep horizontal cut into the tree. He goes back and continues the back cut. At this point I’m just thinking Barber Chair, Barber Chair... Slick as snot the tree barber chaired, it split up the spar about 4 feet, the top 3\4 of the tree pivoted to the ground and left the butt end of the spar about 4 feet in the air.

I am at the point in life where I will no longer work with or around unprofessional people. I wrote an email to the head of the organization that we were volunteering for, complete with recommendations and even a line stating it may be best for everyone if we weekend warriors were on a much tighter leash or even no longer allowed to do tree work for the sake of the future of the organization. I didn't get a response back and that worries me...

Thoughts anyone.

no response says "were too busy" and/or don't care... id stay away. at same time, they cant babysit everyone, you did your part...

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Might see if there is an organization that offers training. In Ohio, the Ohio Forestry Association offers a class, and OSU Extension has had one as well. Might suggest that they require volunteers to have been through an approved training to use a chainsaw on organization property.

RiverRocket

RiverRocket

ArboristSite Guru
Just so you know....Just making a notch and then a back cut isn't the proper way to deal with a hard leaning tree.
There are some Threads in the firewood or chainsaw section better explaining some techniques..

bustedup

bustedup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Techniques to deal with head, back and side leaners (or combinations of ) however that doesn't negate reading the situation. There isn't a one tech that fits all.

Best idea get someone who does know how to deal with leaners

Nothing beats safety and experience as it saves injury or worse.

B Harrison

B Harrison

ArboristSite Guru
Yeah good call on your part too bad he didn't listen to you, not your fault though. A notch might not have fixed that problem but it was sure the correct first step. Sometimes there isn't any way to keep them from splitting, like a lot of trees you just have to deal with the situation that is probably going to happen and make it as safe as possible.

woodchuck357

woodchuck357

Addicted to ArboristSite
On such a small tree, with lean and letting it go with the lean, no notch is needed. Just bore in, cut toward the lean, leaving a small amount intact, then finish the cut out the back. The little left in the front will split down the stump when the tree goes over.

bustedup

bustedup

Addicted to ArboristSite
On such a small tree, with lean and letting it go with the lean, no notch is needed. Just bore in, cut toward the lean, leaving a small amount intact, then finish the cut out the back. The little left in the front will split down the stump when the tree goes over.

I'm at a loss ......why are you telling some one to stump jump (or near to it) I really am at a loss I'll get in trouble for this but I'm stunned totally

woodchuck357

woodchuck357

Addicted to ArboristSite
Still learning, been dropping trees safely for over 60 years

Hope to pass on some experience before the dirt nap. What works stays in my bag of tricks, things that don't get tossed but only after trials.

Some people only do things the first way they were shown or read in some book. I feel for them and hope they take a long look at Murphy's videos! I could say I have learned how to make dumb remarks from Randy, but I haven't used it yet!

RandyMac

RandyMac

Stiff Member
hope to pass on some experience before the dirt nap. What works stays in my bag of tricks, things that don't get tossed but only after trials.

Some people only do things the first way they were shown or read in some book. I feel for them and hope they take a long look at murphy's videos! I could say i have learned how to make dumb remarks from randy, but i haven't used it yet!

lmao!!!

bustedup

bustedup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hope to pass on some experience before the dirt nap. What works stays in my bag of tricks, things that don't get tossed but only after trials.

Some people only do things the first way they were shown or read in some book. I feel for them and hope they take a long look at Murphy's videos! I could say I have learned how to make dumb remarks from Randy, but I haven't used it yet!

when you can fall sticks like Randy then argue.......and the other dude that circus tricks

Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.

I'm going to move this to the Chainsaw section. Ready for the ride?

And, for what it's worth...if I was cutting trees and I had a choice between using Murphy or RandyMac as another cutter I'd leave Murphy at home to prune the rose bushes.

Last edited:
moody
M

moody

Trying to get someone hurt from the looks of it. You've avoided the barber chair and went straight into chapter 2 in the book how to kill yourself with a tree like a demands. I know you mean to help but think you missed about 3 steps to the plunge cut

Latest posts